Originally Posted by BULLITT
The guy played it as well as any Bear this decade to close out the '09 season and outside of the one PRESEASON game where he was destroyed leaving all the retarded windsocks bursting at the seams to let the world know about their super awesome short-term memory analysis.
Seriously, yes he can and he has. If it wasn't for some unreasonable attachment to starting Omiyale when he turned in the second worst performance among ALL OTs this season in efficiency rating, I am sure Chris would have proved he is our once and future LT. Instead, the wizards that be decided to jerk him around AGAIN to accommodate another shitty OL.
Call it homerism, but here is my read on Williams:
They moved him to LG because Tice sees that we had no one to play the position (Garza couldn't make the move, but did actually play well at RG). Omiyale sucked as a LG. By playing Williams at LG, Tice hoped to develop a better punch out of him than he had previously.
Plus, I think Tice believes in building from the center out.
Just me, but I think he could play LT. He is certainly better than Omiyale. I think we look to OG & C in the offseason first and foremost.
Winston Churchill: "Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain."
High Fives / Like - 2 BEAR DOWN!, 0 Dislikes
Williams can play LT. Putting him at guard did him no favors for his development either. The ONLY thing that may have benefited him by being inside is that maybe he can handle power moves better than before.
There is no possible way he could have been worse than Omiyale at LT. Omiyale was absolute crap. The only thing that makes sense is that Tice thought this was his best combo.
The Bears need to move on.
Originally Posted by WindyCity
I feel we put him at LT and let him compete.
Originally Posted by GeorgiaJeff
We build the interior OL and lock down the middle so we can help out Williams.
I am not ruling out Webb as our future LT.
97.2% of the world population are idiots, the other 2.8% are Atheists
The reality is that almost anyone could play OLT as well or better than Omiyale and Williams is included in anyone isn't he. Yes he can play OLT but whether he will or not depends on what we do in the draft and/or FA. If we use a first on an OT and are able to sign some OG help in FA I could see Williams compete with the rookie for the starting role with the loser as the swing tackle. That allows us to part company with Schaeffer and send Omiyale packing just as soon as they can wake his ass up. He played like he was asleep throughout a lot of the season.
Williams will never be an All-Pro and I'd have been a lot happier with Clady had the Broncos not taken him right before our pick but he's got the tools to be a decent OT and he's already shown that he can handle most rushers they throw at him. I think Tice should move him back outside next year and the Bears should either sign or draft a true OLG.
Omiyale is even worse at LG, I wonder if he is starting b/c of high priced contract. Strange how he didn't split time at RT.
Originally Posted by Butka
Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics, even if you win your still messed up.
Restore the roar!
This is like a re-run of the Hester experiment. He's a PR/KO returner...not a WR. He's 60-40...dominent in returns but ok as WR.
CW is being played as an experiment...drafted as LT but moved around to see if he could fill in somwhere else as needed if needed.
He's played RT,LT & LG...so the next place to park him is RG as the experiment continues.
Chris Williams at Center in the future?...just to have him get the experience? We'll see.