‘Mr. Fourth Quarter’ Does It Again

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 23, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    Jay is making better decisions too. He kept a cool head, and that helps the rest of the team keep calm in clutch situations.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. GBlaze23

GBlaze23

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Though he did make better decisions, Jay had little to do with this one in the 4th. I am a big fan of his, but the title of this thread is off.
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

Ratings:
    +609 / 2 / -1
    Belief goes a long way. It's contagious too. Let's just not immunize ourselves against it.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    Just so you know. I didn't make up the title. It was the title of the article quoted.

I will say, that Jay made some solid plays at a time where we needed them to seal the win. Also, a year ago there was a thread about Cutler, as to whether or not he was a leader. I argued that he wasn't much of a leader. But I have to eat some crow here. Jay has been a good leader of the team - especially during crunch time. I've read articles this season, that he's really solid under pressure in the huddle, and our players on offense have said this has been a big help. They feed off of his leadership and poise. It is good to see the positive changes in Jay Cutler. Sure, there is always room for improvement. But I"m pretty pleased with the changes in Cutler this season. Good stuff.
  5. BearsWin

BearsWin

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I have to disagree. If he didn't orchastrate that 4th quarter drive, momentum would likely have stayed with the Steelers.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +392 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. And especially his 1st down battering ram play. without that play, that drive is over and the steelers grab even more momentum.
  7. jbunch14

jbunch14

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Jay made three HUGE plays on that drive, and likely a fieldgoal would not have stopped the rally from Pit. While we were leading at the time, that drive was just as good as those of the previous two weeks. Jay is definitely clutch.
  8. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    Actually it was Peppers who was clutch, sealing the win. Cutler had the deer in head lights look many times in that 2nd half. he made a nice throw to Bennett but the offense struggled with Cutler in that 2nd half. 10pts by the offense in the 2nd half is hardly what I call a clutch performance. 159yds is hardly clutch. Peppers saved our ass.
  9. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I thought Jay had a good game. He is improving with each game. He kept his head on straight when there was pressure. I think we have all been waiting for that. I though he played better than the plays being called, but he followed the game plan.
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    So his 7 points were the difference? Take away those 7 points, the Bears still win. Peppers did not save the Bears ass
  11. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    If Peppers doesn't get the fumble, Steelers looked like they easily march down the field and put 7 on the board taking the lead, with the way they were manhandling the Bears D. And then everything falls on Cutler to get the Bears out in front. And with the way Cutler was playing, I'm not sure that even happens.
  12. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    Okay, take away the Pep TD and give 7 to the Steelers, the Bears still have more points
  13. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,355 / 8 / -0
    Not quite.

Cutler had the TD drive to Earl Bennett before that, giving us a 34-23 lead. Even IF the Steelers drove down the field and scored a TD, they would still be down by 4, and all the Bears would have to do is kill the clock, or the Defense to keep the Steelers out of the endzone if they got the ball back.

Peppers' TD only destroyed any hope they had of a comeback, it was Cutler's TD that was the clincher.
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    You're right, my thoughts from last night's game were a bit fuzzy. I still don't give Cutler the clincher because I'm sure of the Steelers march down the field and make it 34-30, Cutler gets us a nice 3 and out or worse.
  15. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,355 / 8 / -0
    Doesnt work that way. You cant dismiss the drive he DID have, because of some hypothetical series of plays that never happened. The fact is, the game could've gone either way until Cutler drove down and threw a TD pass, giving us an 11 point lead. Peppers simply put the game to bed (still an amazing play though)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Chicago_66

Chicago_66

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to know who your dealer is, my shit ain't nearly that good.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +855 / 1 / -0
    Jay was clutch in the 4th as were Marshall and Bennett on two great catches. Overall, the O was hampered by a desperate and still very good Pitt D AND by Trestman's decision to go ultra-conservative on his play calling during a long stretch during the middle. He seemed content to run into an 8 man box and risk no downfield throws. The best think Jay did during this stretch was to protect the ball. He got rid of it quick, threw it away, didn't force anything, and took sacks when necessary to avoid backfield fumbles (like Ben had twice). That goes against all of Jay's gunslinger mentality and habits and I thought he shown good discipline to Trestman's strategy. If Jay had made even one dumb mistake during that stretch, Pitt could have won.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    It's a good feeling, seeing Jay responding to Trestman and doing things we have all wanted to see him do here. I'll bet we see Jay continue to get better as the season goes on. He'll get more and more comfortable with this offense and trust Trestman's coaching. If he can do that, then we will have one of the best QB's in the NFL. Jay always had the talent, but now he has the stuff that goes WITH the raw talent that makes a QB solid. He's matured, and he now has a better offense to work with.

Trestman will get better too, as this season progresses. It's going to be pretty cool to watch all of this come together.
  19. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    It does work that way when you follow the trend that Cutler has shown as Bears QB. He simply has not closed out opponents as a Bears QB. He doesn't play well in these pressure type situations where you need him to close a team out. Which is why Peppers TD is bigger than many want to recognize.
  20. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    I'd like to know how you're able to get on the internet considering you show all the signs of being mentally retarded.