12 Years ago Today... Never Forget

Discussion in 'Anything But Football' started by The Benjamin, Sep 11, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,622 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß

Where were you when you heard the news?
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +577 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    Dad called from the office, told us (me and my mom) to turn on the TV. Something just happened.

We sat there for hours and watched the news. I was 12 years old and I didn't really understand what was going on. But it definitely didn't seem right.

Planes crashing into the WTC, people jumping out of windows, the sound of sirens and people screaming...

Shit, I still remember the day like it was yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amen.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,062 / 12 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    188ß
    At home... watching it on TV. Before the 2nd tower collapsed, all 10 of us CSOOWs were was directed to report to the USS KITTY HAWK to do system checks. Within 30 minutes of the collapse, we were farmed out to the CS divisions to be the contact between them and the CSO while the ship came up out of cold iron and while all the systems were brought up after a major CSOSS revision.

Summary for the non combat system types: "Get your ass to work, we gotta bring all the combat systems on line. They've been turned off, except for maintenance, for a couple of months, and you know it's gonna be a clusterfuck getting them to work correctly. Bring your full seabag... it may be months before you get a chance to go back home."

And it was a clusterfuck.... but we did it. All praise to the ET's and FC's (and me... the sole PN). I suppose the IT's as well, but it's a long standing practice to not give them any credit for anything.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,622 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    It was three days before my 21st Bday. I was at work figuring out how to spend my Bday. I was listening to that generation's Kiss FM when it was 92.7/5. The morning host was Melissa Forman. She came on after a song saying there was a terrible accident, a plane lost control and collided with the WTC.

A few minutes later, her voice was as stunned as could be. She said this was no accident. The United States is under attack.

My mother was actually on the phone with one of the ladies five minutes before the first plane hit. My mother handled the account this woman was in charge of.

Mad respect to the first responders. The Firefighters, Police Officers and Medics who risked their lives that day. And to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice to try and save others.

Thank you as well to all the Soldiers all over the world who stepped up that day to fight back, to show that America could not be kept down. Thank you to all those who joined the military because of this to join that fight.

Capitals because that is a sign of respect and honor
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    BEST DARNED THREAD AROUND ! ! !
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    teaser.jpg NOTEASY.jpg remember-9-11.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    911.png 9-11NeverForget.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    it's true let God sort'em out, . . .
    . .. . . .especially those from within,... that have yet to meet their fate

no-mercy-remember-sept.png
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    . . .working under an approach glide path near O' Hare , running up a ground floor to a new condo Site

I turned to my boss and said " Sumtin's up"

Boss was like " what do you mean" .

I said "haven't you noticed?... the planes stopped coming AND going ,... It got awfully quiet like real darned quick "

he was like "yer nuts ",...

I was like "OH REALLY NOW , Sumtin's up ,.....check the radio "

We found out minutes later at break time ,.....

It left an eery calm on the job site the rest of the day
    • Like Like x 1
  10. A God named Payton

A God named Payton Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If I have no right to post on this then please feel free to delete my following memories of that days attrocities commited by murderers and terrorists on the peoples of the United States of America.

These are my memories from across the pond in the UK here.
    I was part of a team working on a gas sales and safety checks - door to door - in an Area called Renton In Alexandria, Scotland. We had just done our last door visits before calling lunch for the afternoon.

A few of us met up at the local cafe only to hear the girl behind the counter ask if we had heard anything further on what we only knew then as a 'supposed' accidental crash by a 'light' aircraft in to the WTC building. I at first thought this had been a film along the lines of Die hard when in one house as the picture was so bad ( snowy interferance) and thought it strange to broadcast that during day time hours here. She turned on the tv only for the full horror to hit home.

The news station were showing repeated screeing of the second jet hitting the tower. I felt sick. My partner back then was in even more of a panic as her sister satyed in San Diego and the kids were in NYC on a school trip to the WTC that day. She was inconsolable and full of fear...all phone lines to the USA had been blocked as usage had shorted an outlet.

what followed that day was a sense of helplessness from afar, a sense of dread in what may follow, especially after the towers collapsed.

I still have a huge lump in my throat and much heart felt sorrow to this day for each of the heros who came to the rescue of that day.

Your Country and Countrymen, your Forces and your Emergancy sevices did you all proud that very dark day.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    At work in my little town a hour NE of ottawa. And we has a tire store on fire at the same time so the sky was black and people were wondering if a plane missed ottawa and hit outside of town., before the realize what was going on.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    I was at home, getting ready for school, turned it on, and screamed for family to "get the **** in here!!" I went to school, and that was all we watched all day. I've been in shock before, mostly from an injury or whatever, but this.....it lasted for a day or two. I'll never forget, also, this girl, who after a few hours of this being on t.v. openly said "Why is this STILL on?" I became unglued and yelled something to the effect of "This is the single most important event in your ***** little life, show some respect, you ****** idiot." Lots of anger, confusion, nervousness, especially when there was talk of a bomb at the Washington Mall, and the possibility that the next plane was headed to either the Capital or the White House.

Not to infuse anything political into this, but seeing the look on President Bush's face when he was informed really hit hard. I'm glad he handled it like a professional, and finished talking to the class of children, and respectfully excused himself, rather than immediately run out of the room like some people would have preferred.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. J.C.

J.C. Legend SuperFan

Ratings:
    +2,259 / 6 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    I was a couple feet from where I'm sitting right now, but I was facing the other way.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,436 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    200ß
    I was online playing game, asking where one guy was. Another guy said he wasn't connected b/c of what happened in NY, so I turned on the TV. I had to go into work later that day and they had TV's on everywhere. I worked in a cell phone company, and we had to keep telling our customers that the Towers in our area weren't down or effected but they were not going to be able to contact loved ones in NY b/c of all the clogged traffic.

Right before my roomate and I left, our boss pulled us off to the side and asked us to keep an eye on a young muslim couple that worked for us b/c she had heard thre were people at work that were angry at what had happened and might take it out on them.

The next day a bomb threat was called into the company, they sent us all to lunch early but we had to come back after the police had inspected the building; everyone was freaked and only about a 3rd of the workers came back.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,436 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    200ß
    hope your sisters kids were okay.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. A God named Payton

A God named Payton Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    They were. The class was meant to arrived somewhere around 9:30m -10am that day from what I remember. Dont think I can remember feeling so nauseous waiting a full day to hear if folk were ok.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,436 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    200ß
    luckily none of my family lived in NY, not even distant cousins, I cannot even imagine how much worse that day would have been, or the days that followed.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,622 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    There are many stories about people surviving due to running late that day.

Glad your sisters did not go through that... but damn must have been terrifying for them being there
    • Like Like x 2
  19. J.C.

J.C. Legend SuperFan

Ratings:
    +2,259 / 6 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    The people that I knew who worked in lower Manhattan at the time were at a funeral that morning. Kind of weird to think that Gia may have saved a couple lives by killing herself.
    • Like Like x 5
  20. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,622 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    That's what I'm talkin bout. Those odd twists of fate that saved so many lives
    • Like Like x 1