1st April Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Apr 5, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    A few things have come up since the last mock:
    1) Conte is out 4-5 mo’s, that puts him out until the start of the season, so a FS capable of starting is definately high on the list, and SS is still a need also, Mundy/Jennings should not be penciled in anywhere
    2) Allen mentions he’s anxious to play next to Ratliff, inferring that Ratliff is the starting DT, at least this year, b/c in a 4-3 the RDE plays next to the DT, so while there is a need for a DT, it’s not a day 1 starter, that appears to be Ratliffs to lose, regardless of who or when someone is drafted.
    3) Briggs is going to be in a shoulder sling meaning that OLB is now thing, and MLB is VERY thin b/c whoever loses the Shea/Bostic comp will likely backup Briggs, and Greene will likely backup the winner...but who's there if DJ goes down again?
    4) The team admits they will play SOME, but minimal 3-4 that does require a legit 0 tech guy on the roster somewhere, and in reality is Paea so solidified that he shouldn't have competition?
    5) Also keep in mind what the Pitt GM said, there are only about 8-10 ELITE players in this draft and 3 are qb’s, 1 is a WR and another 1-2 are OL’s. That leaves for D talent about 2-4 ELITE D players, none of which the Bears are going to see, even if Dix/Donald are on the board, which they well might not be.
    Needs are still pretty much the same, DT, LB, S, CB in no particular order, only b/c outside of S there is no day 1 starter needed, but all these kids will potentially need to see starting duties b/c of the depth issues at those positions. The main thing is that you might well need 2 S’s out of this draft, meaning that the O might get more ignored then I would like.

In this mock a very real possibility happens, Donald and Dix are off the board.

So all that being said:

Roster pre draft:
    QB:Cutler/Palmer
    RB:Forte/Ford
    C:Garza/Boggs
    G:Slauson/Long/Boggs/Brown
    T:Bushrod/Mills/JLong/Brown
    TE: DaOD/Rosario(for now)/Fendi
    WR: Jeffery/Marshal/Wilson/Hixon
    DT/NT:Ratliff/Paea/Collins/Houston
    DE:Allen/Houston/Young/Bass/Washington
    OLB:Briggs/Bostic/She/Greene
    ILB: DJ/Bostic
    CB:Jennings/Tillman/Frey/____
    S:Conte/____/Mundy/____/MDJenn

14 Louis Nix, NT ND: Ratliff and Collins and Houston are all capable of playing DT and that is a pretty good rotation but could use another player should 1 or 2 of those guys go down. The need many seems to be ignoring is NT, was anything that Paea did, hurt or otherwise worthy of just being penciled in as the NT this year? Nix is capable of taking the job from him, and could also play DT to fill out that rotation. They also need a guy that can handle the 0 tech when they do play a 3-4. IF the medical report is clear this guy is an athletic beast for his size and he can disrupt the backfield in run or pass defense. This guy is capable of starting on a very stout DL day 1, and isn't that what we all really want to see out of the Bears 14 pick?

Rd 2 Chris Borland ILB Wisconson: The Bears need someone that could start if DJ goes down, and Bostic is going to have his hands full being the backup for Briggs(that's how I see it anyways). Borland isn’t the elite athlete that the Bears had in Urlacher, but most aren’t, and you won’t find that in the 2nd, and rarely even in the 1st. But Tucker showed one that that he wanted at MLB via DJ, and that was the ability to blitz and be smart enough to be in the right part of the field, and Borland can do both. He’s aggressive, has good intelligence and instincts, can blitz, a good tackler, and can play ST’s, which until DJ goes down is going to be a need.

Rd 3 Craig Langston FS LSU: The Bears look to tackle the FS position first since Conte won’t be ready for the season. Big hitter good against the run and will have a presence in the backfield, and will try and separate the ball from the carrier; he’ll also be ready to compete to start early on, he might be limited at FS, and later might have to move to SS, but he has the ability to do both and can play FS until the Bears at least until Conte gets back, and hopefully can hold onto the job.

Rd 4 Dontae Johnson S-CB NC: The Bears need a guy that can play CB if Tillman goes down and possibly replace him next year, until then Johnson could compete at SS and see some playing time at both. He’s got the size and speed you want for a DB, but he needs polishing in his abilty to recognize what is going on and on his footwork, these are things that being behind a guy like Tillman can be quickly corrected.

Rd 5 Calvin Barnett DT Oklahoma State: 6’2” 300lb’s he’s not tall, but he’s big, which Tucker likes in his DL'men. He's raw and needs to work on his technique and conditioning, but he has the athletic ability you want from a classic 3 tech and can create a pass rush and play against the run. This guy is a project, but that’s what you get in the 5th round. Here is a guy that can hopefully be brought along and replace Collins or Ratliff when they are no longer on the team.

Rd 6: Crockett Gilmore TE Colorado State: 6’6” 260 lbs, he’s a potential big target that can block, he’s a work in progress, but the team won’t be looking for him to contribute much this year, nor should they, they have Bennett and Rosario and hopefully Fendi steps up, but next year hopefully Gilmore can replace at least 1 of the afformentioned.

Rd 6: George Atkins III RB ND: 6’1” 218 lbs and runs a sub 4.5 and has low miles from his college days where he was never THE GUY and can be a ST’s return man. The team kills two birds w/1 stone in getting a rb to create depth and a potential return man. Quite honestly I still think the team is high on Ford, and Forte isn’t near the “high mileage” 30 yr old back many make him out to be, so I’m not sure this is near the need many “experts” think it is but it's still always nice to be able to get a potentially good RB late, and if Forte WERE to go down I'm not 100% sold that Ford could handle the workload Forte handles, he'd needd help.

UDFA:
    Lynch QB NIU/ any LB, any FB, any P

Roster post draft:
    QB:Cutler/Palmer
    RB:Forte/Ford/Atkins
    C:Garza/Boggs
    G:Slauson/Long/Brown
    T:Bushrod/Mills/JLong/Britton
    TE: DaOD/Rosario/Fendi/Gilmore
    WR: Jeffery/Marshal/Wilson/Hixon
    DT: Ratliff/Collins/Houston/Nix/Barnett
    NT: Paea/Collins/Nix
    DE:Allen/Houston/Young/Bass/Washington
    OLB:Briggs/Bostic/She/Greene
    ILB: DJ/Bostic/Borland
    CB:Jennings/Tillman/Frey/Johnson
    S:Conte/Langston/Mundy/Johnson/MDJenn
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    I like your thoughts and I have seen several articles on how Nix would make a scary 43DT / nose tackle as he is not given credit for his ability to apply pressure to the QB. Taking Nix in rd 1 and Quarles in 2 would cover the 3 tech and NT. I spent several hrs today doing mocks at OTC trying to figure out how to get a safety of value. The only way to get value is if you do it in rd 1 or possibly in rd 2 if Joyner or Ward is left. Every other time I reach for one I end up with better value with my following picks than the S position netted me. I was ready to write S off this yr but now with Conte out for surgery it would seem we would take one and if we do it will have to be early. Basically after Joyner and Ward are gone there is no value.

Furthermore I believe we need a 3 tech DT. Not getting into the great debate on who but here is a look at what I did.
    upload_2014-4-5_16-49-32.png
    upload_2014-4-5_16-50-19.png upload_2014-4-5_16-52-34.png

Highly doubt Hyde will be avail in rd 3 but he was an option so I took him. Makes overall look better than it really is
    upload_2014-4-5_16-54-12.png upload_2014-4-5_16-56-3.png
    Loston at 4 isnt worth the value. Better players are avail.
    upload_2014-4-5_16-59-15.png
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    regarding S, I think the value is there in spades at SS, but FS is much harder to come by, mostly like you said rd 1 and 2. Same w/CB, and that's why I went w/who I went to address CB/S. It's a need that is probably addressed more next year, but it fills the depth holes this year.

I think the team needs to address DT, but I think it doesn't need to be a "starting" DT, agian Allen kind of spilled the beans w/that, Ratty is the starting DT this year.

But I have yet to see anyone discuss the fact that Paea is the only solid NT on a team that wants to run SOME 3-4, and I don't think he's built for a 0 tech, and that is where Nix comes in, he can do both, he can play NT in a 3-4 and 4-3, AND can fill another rotational spot at DT if needed. But seriously how many DT's does the team need? If they take Nix or another DT early that gives them 4, Ratty, Collins, Houston and the rookie.

I like Baily and Langston in the mid rounds btw.
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    NIX article from trib. Scouts from all 32 teams were at ND Pro Day.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...-20140321_1_louis-nix-nose-tackle-nfl-network

upload_2014-4-5_20-45-38.png

http://withthefirstpick.com/2014/02/05/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report-louis-nix-iii-dt-notre-dame/

I been siliently watching Nix as well but kept it to myself as pretty pro Donald but Nix and Quarles would be a dangerous duo. Getting pressure from the Nose tackle or forcing double teams on Nix would allow Ratliff, Quarles, Allan, Houston, and Young to be sack monsters if the QB could not step up into the pocket and when he tried Nix would be there to get him.

upload_2014-4-5_20-50-53.png
    upload_2014-4-5_20-53-19.png
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    gotta wonder if there is no inj concerns if he's a top 10 pick this year. the fact that ALL 32 teams were at his pro day screams how good they think he'll be.

kind of surprised they think the guy is versatile enough to be a 3-4 end, he's a big boy to be getting to the QB from that far away.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    I agree, Ric. He's an interesting prospect I'd probably be dying to draft if he didn't have injury concerns. The Carimi debacle made me really gun shy about using a 1st round pick on someone less than 100% medically.
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    Injury was MCL not ACL. This is a big difference. MCL is no wear near as bad as ACL IMO. I tore my MCL playing college B-ball and with the new treatment with Gene therapy Nix went though I suspect it may be a mute point down the road.
  8. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    Guess I would have to look it up to be certain, Meniscus is even better yet if thats the case
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
  11. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Not necessarily true. I was a big fan of Nix coming into the draft. It will all depend on the specifics of the injury, the corrective surgery and how the rehab goes.

Nix could be totally recovered and have a 10+ year career in the pros. He also could develop severe arthritis in his knee early on and have his career cut short after only 3 or 4 years. I'm sure that every team looking a Nix has put him through the wringer medically. But no one is talking about it so we have to guess.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110891&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT

04/03/14 - 2014 Pro Days: Notre Dame's Nix, Martin take care of business...With all 32 NFL teams represented, including head coaches Gus Bradley (Jaguars) and Mike Tomlin (Steelers), NT Louis Nix, OL Zach Martin and 14 other former Irish players participated on Thursday at Notre Dame's pro day in South Bend. Working out shirtless to show off his decreased body weight, Nix, who said he was “down” to 331 pounds, performed positional drills for scouts, even lining up nose-to-nose with Tomlin on some drills. He showed why some around the league feel he belongs in the top-15 discussion of the first round, appearing quick, controlled and strong with whatever the coaches asked him to do. Nix's charismatic personality also stood out as it usually does. “I hope they liked my thighs and my footwork and my hips,” Nix said when asked what he wanted to show scouts. “Because I've been working on them and trying to get them flexible and be able to move around.” Nix measured in at 6-2 and 331 (same as his NFL Combine numbers) and ran a 5.36 40-yard dash in South Bend, besting his 5.42 and 5.43 results from Indianapolis. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Here's a trade down scenerio
    Bears trade out of the 2nd round 51st pick and out of their 2nd 6th round pick
    In return they get Clevelands 2 3rd round picks 71 and 93, as well as their 7th round pick, 195.
    Same scenerio Dix/Donald are off the board already.
    1st Anthony Barr DE/OLB UCLA, Det took Dix, Tenn grabs Gilbert, NYG's grabs Donald, which meant Barr fell to a Bears team that needs OLB depth, and someone to replace Briggs next year. It wasn't their intention to take one here but the Bears take advantage of the fall, this will allow Bostic to play backup MLB and also fills a role for an OLB when the Bears do play in a 3-4 scheme. Barr is an explosive athlete and a great pass rusher something the Bears needed last year and haven't completely corrected as of FA.
    3rd
    71 Ed Reynolds, FS Standord, Covers a ton of ground, could cover TE's, has good instincts and can play ST's to boot. He's not an eilte S, but w/the DL looking like it is the Bears don't look to try and land an elite S this year.
    82 Deon Bucannon SS Washington State, Bears solidify their backfield w/a SS. A big hitter and physical pressence, where Reynolds might be a liability in the run game, that is a strength for Bucannon. Much like Reynolds, both will try and seperate the ball from the carrier though, which is one of the few carry overs from the Lovie Smith era.
    83 Anthony Johnson DT LSU, before the emergance of Donald in the Senior Bowl, many thought Johnson was the DT the Bears would target, bigger then Donald at 6'2" 308 lbs, he's just as explosive off the ball and has shown an ability to run stuff and pass rush. While not as refined day one as Donald, he is going to spend a year in a rotation which allows him to refine those skills.
    4th Daniel McCullers NT Tenn, A BIG BOY sitting at nearly 350 lbs, he'll be used sparingly at first, strictly a 0 tech when the Bears run their 3-4 look(which will be seldom), he's big, strong, powerfull and will not be moved off a line even w/multiple blockers. He will get gassed easily though, and has to make sure he stays in conditiona and that he uses correct form consistantly. Although he is a classic 3-4 0 tech, he can also be played at a 4-3 NT, like Paea he's not going to be confused as a pass rusher, but also like Paea be used as a 4-3 NT run stuffer and lane clogger.
    5th Barnett Jackson CB ND, A bigger CB but needs developmental time, but can play ST's until he's earned a job playing D. He's a good tackler and has shown an ability to play the pass w/4 int's and 4 more passes defended, he was also 2nd on the team in tackles.
    6th Glasco Martin RB, Baylor, Martin had a couple lower leg inj's that could be a concern, but he's got the size and is just over 4.5 40 speed, if he's healthy he might well be able to help lighten the load for Ford should Forte go down.
    7th Kaneakua Friel TE BYU, Bears get a guy that can be a good blocker, and hopefully could develop into an okay pass catcher to back up Marty B
  14. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    Your best mock draft by far, Ric. I freakin love it. :-)

I'm afraid Bucannon will be taken early in the second round, though. Gotta say, he's become one of my favorite players in this years draft. Would love to see him in navy and orange, and I wouldn't even care if he's a reach or not. lol
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    ya but you can replace Bucannon w/Langston, who I also really like, and there are some tweener CB/S'sthat come in the later rounds.

I hated taking Barr there, it's just not a day 1 need position, but it's as likely a scenerio as any if Dix is taken by Det who desperately needs DB help, That means NY has to decide on the inside or outside pressence. It could go either way. But in reality everyone has talked Donald, Hagemen, Jernigan, Dix, Pryor to death.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Pretty good trade down simulation there. I agree that Detroit is very likely to go DB and Ha-Ha makes a lot of sense since they lost Delmas. NYG on the other hand have needs all over the place. On DL, on OL, and at WR/TE. Predicting their pick is really a crap shoot not knowing who may fall to them.

Buchannon is my wanted guy for round 2 but the Bears have already telegraphed interest in him by inviting him to HH. So maybe they have laid a smokescreen for picking a different safety there. Buchannon appears to be climbing the boards reputedly so he may not be available to us in mid-2.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Ya NY could just as easily go TE, probably not WR, or OL, or really even DE...if Barr were to fall, well hell they could use that also.

Yep Buchannon seems to be moving up, so I guess that isn't really an option for the 3rd, read that after I did the mock, but again I really like Langston in the 3rd. He's a boarderline FS, solid SS, so he's a good pick in the 3rd.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Just shooting the breeze here...nothing else to talk about until the damn draft gets here lol.

NYG had a horrible pass pro last year so if a guy like Lewan reaches them I could see it. Otherwise, they probably go DL or Ebron true.

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment with Buchannon at 51 but what the hell I really like what I've read about him (apparently others too if he's moving up pretty well). Hard hitter, nice mix of run D and ball skills, good size, ran a 4.49, and a three year college starter. Was hoping he could be our Pryor-lite without having to use a 1st.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Pryor is more FS Buccanhon is a SS though, but ya he's got some upside.

ya mocks are excersizes in time wasting.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Thought they both projected more as SSs?