2013-2014 Blackhawks

Discussion in 'Chicago Blackhawks Forum' started by shark86x, Jul 29, 2013.

1. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I initially was a little hesitant on spending that much on him. It would have been nice if we could have seen if he could back up last years elite level of play this year. I have read a few articles that suggest the money was spent with the feelings being that the cap will continue to be inflated up to around 80mil in time for the big contracts in a few years time.

I can't wait for hockey season to start. Last season was a technological breakthru for me (I may be 26 but I suck with technology); gamecentre and a DVI cable means I can actually watch hockey for once instead of just listening to the radio streams.

67 days till my first (and probably last for a long time) live blackhawks game!
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hammer gets locked up for 5 more seasons after this at $4.1 per. Excellent deal that almost makes up for the terrible one we gave Crawford.
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +566 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß
  4. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +481 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß

I don't think the Crawford signing is a bad deal yet it is a bit high but other teams have spent a ton of cash on their goaltenders
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    Those goaltenders might also have a longer track record of sustained success.

But, I am okay with the deal at the moment.
  6. 4th and 26

Ratings:
    +481 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    tuukka rask got an 8 year contract.
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    HAHAHA the dude Crow beat LOL
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's a bad deal. No team with a huge contract goalie has won a single SC in the Salary Cap era, we've won two with two different ones because of the squad we were able to afford in front of them. Salary cap rising assumptions are safe, but need to be tempered, and Corey's new contract would put him in the top 50 of the league if it started today - that's crazy talk.

Point being? Tukka Rask is a younger, better goalie who is already the Bruins MVP despite the fact that he hasn't even entered the typical prime for goalies. Raask is already top 5 goalie in the league at 26, and looks like a safe bet to rise as he enters his prime and guys like Lundqvist, Rinne and 7uongo exit theirs. Having said that, his deal was also stupid. He was an RFA and it cost them two of the best players and leaders in Horton and Ference.

The same dude that almost single-handedly stole the Bruins a Stanley Cup. lulz

I've been one of Corey's few, steady supporters since his time in Norfolk (you know, the team that used to be our A club before "W" flags flooded the UC). I was adamant in saying he was better than his sophomore slump indicated and that he was the right goalie for this squad. I'm glad he's sticking around, but I would have much preferred we let him play out his deal and negotiate from there. It's not like he left any money or years on the table considering he will be 30 next season. This was the anti hometown discount. Moreover, this move brings us into a bad parody, when we were proving to be trend-setting examples of how to compete in the new era.
  9. 4th and 26

Ratings:
    +481 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    I would not say Rask is a top 5 goal tender yet until he gets a few more years in the NHL as a starter under his belt either. He had a great year but like the blackhawks he has a huge supporting cast to also help him. People still seem to ride Crawford too much for a guy that help the hawks win the cup. My opinion he was the MVP of the playoffs for the hawks. Other examples of teams signing their goaltenders, Jimmy Howard of the wings got a 6 year deal also for slightly less money.
  10. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +41 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Price would be another goalie with way worse contract than Crawfords. Crawford is easily better than Howard and Smith too. His contract fits right in.

If you let him walk, who'd start for the Hawks after next sesaon? Unproven Raanta?
  11. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Jimmy Howard, at roughly the same age has three seasons with a save % of > .920 as a starter. Crawford has one and got $700k more.

Carey Price is a 26 year old with a longer and better track record than Corey and a lot worse team.

Let me say this again, this isn't a discussion where parody is a valid argument. Just because other goalies are getting huge terrible deals that have stopped them from improving their teams and retaining their own talent, doesn't mean we should jump right into the same pool. Teams have always been paying goalies a lot of money, it just so happens one of those teams hasn't won a Cup. It has always been, and always will be about the 18 skaters in front of the goalie and their affect on him. Crawford's D took a huge step back in 11-12, and so did he, his D (including backchecking forwards) took a tremendous step forward this season and so did he. It's good to have a goalie that can play up to the level of talent in front of him, he's also shown he can play down to their level, and it's not great to limit possibilities to keep those 18 in front of him by spending huge cash on him. Especially, before he has truly proven himself a consistent NHL goalie.

You don't have to let him walk. If he steps up and proves himself again, you pay the same terrible open market price you just paid him for a contract starting when he turns 30. Much like Niemi, Raanta is only unproven in NA, and there's Mac and Kent getting to the age where they are ready to start getting time. Those aren't your only options, either, there's more than a few goalies in the league who could hold their own behind this team and even more willing to put themselves in that situation to earn big open market bucks.
  12. 4th and 26

Ratings:
    +481 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Howard's career save percentage is .918
    Crawford's career save percentage is .913

Howard's career goals allowed average is 2.36
    Crawford's career goals allowed average is 2.24
  13. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Sweet, I can bring up numbers, too. Like the 82 more games (an entire season, coincidentally) Howard has played than Corey.

Howard's career as a starter by year.

Crawford's

Howard's games played over the last three years= 162 (not including the games he played as the US National team's starter at the '12 WCs)

Corey's=144

Also, Howard doesn't have the problem with gloveside softies or rebound control/recovery that have scared fans with Crawford.

Also, if you knew anything about hockey, you'd know GAA is a terrible stat to judge a goalie by.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  14. 4th and 26

Ratings:
    +481 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Well I know enough that the save percentage you keep bring up is nearly the same. Only a .005% difference between the two. I also know that Crawford beat Howard head to head in the playoffs this year and actually won a championship as a starting goaltender. I also realize that Crawford does give up soft goals and on the other had he makes incredible saves and bails out his team a lot when they play shitty
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's about consistency, Howard has proven to have it over AN ENTIRE SEASON'S WORTH OF GAMES more than Corey. Howard also face 1,800+ shots in two of those seasons, Corey's high is 1,545.

I didn't realize goalies took shots on each other while the other 36 players watched. Through it all, Howard allowed one more goal despite facing 39 more shots than Corey, he damn near stole that series form under us despite the fact that our roster was superior up-and-down.

Let me just say this one last time while I leave you to pretend hockey is your forte. Just because other goalies are getting paid terribly and limiting their team's roster moves, doesn't mean we have to join the party. It's a terrible contract however you look at it.
  16. 4th and 26

Ratings:
    +481 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    You know Lsox you and I will not agree on this one but I think Crawford earned his contract. He may not be as consistent as other goaltenders but winning the cup is what got him his deal. I don't think Howard or Rask are much better than Crawford yet at times they do play better than him. I think Rask has a better defense in front of him and Howard has had elite defensemen in front of him for most of his career. I still give Crawford a lot of credit for his play this year in the playoffs, without him we would not have won the cup. He was the MVP of the playoffs, not Kane.
  17. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Granted Crawford likely gets a bit of a pay bump due to his Stanley Cup win, and granted he deserves it. But he is not the calibre of Howard or Rask at this point, at least as mentioned he hasn't shown the consistency yet to be mentioned in those names. Howard actually had very pedestrian defense in front of him this year with Lidstrom gone, and his numbers actually got better this year. Rask is just a stud who is in a different league then the other team at this point. He does have a good defensive team in front of him, but he bails them out alot as well and makes them look better then they actually are.

At this point, I would rank Crawford somewhere in the middle of the league as a goalie. Just out of the top ten, but working his way up the ranks each year for sure. I would certainly take him on my team.
  18. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,612 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,949 / 8 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz: