2013-2014 Blackhawks

Discussion in 'Chicago Blackhawks Forum' started by shark86x, Jul 29, 2013.

1. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Nice hat trick by the captain but good god we're screwed if Crawford gets injured. Khabibulin looks like he's fighting for his life out there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Flames win in Chicago! First time in.... er.... forever.

Reto Berra's first NHL game defeats the Stanley Cup Champs

3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    386ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/stor...w-signs-two-year-extension-chicago-blackhawks

Andrew Shaw signs extension

CHICAGO -- Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw has signed a two-year contract extension, the team announced Tuesday.

Shaw, 22, was set to become a restricted free agent after this season. His new contract, which a source tells ESPN.com is for $2 million a season, runs through the 2015-16 season.
    Shaw was happy to get the deal done during the regular sesason.

"It's always in the back of your head," Shaw said. "It's nice to clear the air and now I can just focus on improving my game."

Shaw, who has been a mainstay on the Blackhawks' third line, has four goals, seven assists and 51 hits in 18 games this season. He had five goals and four assists while helping the Blackhawks to the Stanley Cup last season. He has 25 goals and 24 assists in 103 career regular-season games.
    "It's great to come to this agreement with Andrew and keep another important member of our team here in Chicago" general manager Stan Bowman said in a statement. "Andrew has proven his ability to play a prominent role on our team and we look forward to watching him continue to grow as a player for the Blackhawks."

Shaw was drafted by the Blackhawks in the fifth round in 2011.

4. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    I love shinpads!
  5. shark86x

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    Kris Versteeg returns to Blackhawks in 4-player deal; Panthers eat salary

Sweet deal. I just hope he gave up on the rap career.
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,720 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    Welcome back Steeger

Should help the D and the PK. Helps fix the glaring holes
  7. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hayes certainly was given enough chances but couldn't land a permanent spot. Olsen was ok. I think, although not great, Versteeg will be an improvement over those two.
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,720 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    Think I heard that Olsen was impossibly blocked.

Having Steeger on the third line is huge!

Even better, Florida is picking up half his contract.... 2.2 for four years is awesome
  9. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I was in the hunt camp for the last week and I was able to get the games on the radio on 720 am. The wind was just a howling and I got the game, great way to end the day of walking the hills.
  10. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +551 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    Beating the Canucks is always a good thing.
  11. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I've always hated them more than even Detroit .
  12. little bear

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    386ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bla...4/quenneville-losing-confidence-in-third-line

Quenneville losing confidence in third line

CHICAGO -- Where Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville's confidence is in a player or a line is often seen in pressure situations.
    Quenneville turns to players he trusts and has no problem leaving the others on the bench. Last year's playoffs with Viktor Stalberg, Brent Seabrook and Nick Leddy are examples of that.

Quenneville gave a good idea where he stands with his third line of Bryan Bickell, Michal Handzus and Kris Versteeg on Tuesday against the Colorado Avalanche.

With the game on the line in the third period, Quenneville played Bickell all of 12 seconds in the period, gave Versteeg just two shifts for a total of 1:29 and Handzus had 28 seconds of even-strength ice time. Neither Bickell nor Versteeg played again after coming off the ice with 6:52 left in the third period.

Quenneville limited Bickell to 6:34 of even-strength ice time, Versteeg to 7:45 and Handzus to 6:13. Quenneville played the fourth line close to four minutes more than the third line.

Quenneville's lack of confidence in Bickell, Versteeg and Handzus has been building over the past few weeks.

Bickell's play has been mostly in question since he returned from his knee injury on Dec. 17. He's had one goal, one assist and a minus-six rating over those 13 games. During that span, he's been on the ice for three Blackhawks' goals and 10 opponents' goals. The Avalanche's lone even-strength goal Tuesday was scored with Bickell defending.

As Bickell's played has gone, so have his minutes. Quenneville has kept him to under 10 minutes in six games since returning. Quenneville gave him 11-plus minutes in consecutive games on Jan. 8 and Jan. 11, but Bickell has been back under nine minutes the past two games.

"Things haven't gone very well for him," Quenneville said after Tuesday's 3-2 overtime loss. "I think trying to find something encouraging is where we're at and to find a way to improve off these levels."

Quenneville said last week he believed confidence was a key factor in Bickell's play.

"I think we're trying to get him there where he's comfortable with the puck, he's comfortable with his positions and his thought process as well," Quenneville said. "He's a very important guy to our team, and we use him in a lot of different ways. He brings an element where we need. It's a work in progress. We'll keep working on that."

Versteeg's production has declined in recent weeks. He had a strong December where he had five goals, six assists and a plus-six rating. He also finally appeared to find a comfortable position across from Patrick Kane on the second line.

That second line hit its own skid in recent weeks, and Versteeg has been bounced around to different lines. He hasn't been able to regain a groove and has had one assist and a minus-three rating over the past nine games.

Handzus' numbers have also fallen over the past nine games. He has zero points and a minus-five rating during that span. He hasn't been on the ice for a Blackhawks' even-strength goal since Dec. 28.

Handzus said prior to Tuesday's game he needed to improve.

"I haven't played great," Handzus said on Tuesday. "I've got to be better. I've just got to be better.

"I haven't skated really well. I haven't been hard on the pucks, too. I just need to work on it. Everything picks up after that. I thought last game was a little bit better. I just need to keep building and get better and get where I need to be."

Right now, the Blackhawks could use Handzus, Bickell and Versteeg to get to where they need to be.
  13. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Good to see we are getting our losing streak out of the way early this yr.
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,720 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    Detroit is like the packers.

They are a hated rival, but worthy I historic respect.

The Canucks on the other hand..... No
  15. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Gonna be a big game Friday. The Ducks are on a rampage.
  16. 4th and 26

Ratings:
    +551 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    This Olympics sucked so much I almost watched the NBA since Hockey season was on hold.
  17. shark86x

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    I would rather watch mountains erode than NBA. Thank heaven the Oly's are over and we can get back to the blackhawks. I hope the NHL passes on the next olympics.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 4th and 26

Ratings:
    +551 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    I would also like to see the NHL pass on the Olympics, I really didn't care who won since half of the blackhawks team was scattered with different countries. I want them all back on the same team scoring again a getting ready for the playoffs.
  19. little bear

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    386ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/stor...hawks-get-brian-connelly-trade-minnesota-wild

Blackhawks acquire D Brian Connelly

The Chicago Blackhawks acquired defenseman Brian Connelly from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for forward Brad Winchester on Wednesday.

Connelly, 27, had five goals, 27 assists and a minus-21 rating for the Iowa Wild of the AHL this season. He has not appeared in an NHL game in his career. He will be an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The Blackhawks said Connelly will report to the Rockford IceHogs of the AHL. He previously played for the IceHogs from 2009 to 2012.

Winchester, 32, had 16 goals, 14 assists and a minus-8 rating in 55 games for the IceHogs. He signed a one-year deal with the Blackhawks as a free agent on July 24, 2013.

--------------------
    • Like Like x 1
  20. little bear

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    386ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/10644864/chicago-blackhawks-put-patrick-kane-long-term-ir

Hawks put Patrick Kane on IR

CHICAGO -- Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane will miss the remainder of the regular season due to a lower-body injury, but he is expected to return for the start of the playoffs after being placed on long-term injured reserve Friday.

Kane suffered the injury when a player landed on his left leg during Wednesday's game against the St. Louis Blues. He will have to miss a minimum of 10 games and 24 days. General manager Stan Bowman said Kane will sit out the team's remaining 12 regular-season games.
    Kane leads the Blackhawks with 69 points (tied with Patrick Sharp after Friday night's win), and has 29 goals and 40 assists in 69 games. He hadn't missed a game due to injury since the 2010-11 season.

The Blackhawks will give a few of their top offensive prospects a chance in Kane's absence. Forwards Teuvo Teravainen and Jeremy Morin were recalled and joined the Blackhawks for the morning skate Friday at the United Center. Morin saw 12 shifts for 6:52 of ice time as the Blackhawks beat the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday night, but Teravainen was scratched.

"It's been a very busy time for the organization the last few days here, starting with the injured Patrick, which was unfortunate, but thankfully it's nothing too serious," Bowman said Friday. "We're going to get him back and ready to go leading into the playoffs. Those things happen. I think sometimes it gives other guys an opportunity to step up and play."

The 19-year-old Teravainen, a 2012 first-round pick, is considered the Blackhawks' top prospect. He was recalled from Jokerit in Finland's Liiga on Friday. His Liiga season ended Sunday in the first round of the playoffs. He finished tied for sixth in the league with 44 points. He had nine goals and 35 assists in 49 games.

Teravainen also helped Finland win the gold at the World Junior Championship in January. He had 15 points in seven games.

Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said he expected Teravainen to be in the lineup Sunday or Tuesday.

"Certainly we saw what he can do in training camp with his skill set and what he can bring to our team and our organization as well," Quenneville said Friday. "I thought he made good progress this year. The games I saw in the world championships and reports we have from the Finnish league, it was a nice year for him as well. We'll see how it works out."

Morin, 22, was recalled from the Rockford IceHogs of the AHL. He has been one of the AHL's hottest players over the past two months, recording points in 15 of his past 16 games, with 13 goals and 10 assists during that span.

He has 24 goals and 23 assists in 47 games with the IceHogs this season. He also had one goal and four assists in 15 previous games (split over four stints) with the Blackhawks.

"We've seen him here this year," Quenneville said. "He's really made some progress in his game, especially when he was playing up here. He had some purpose to his game. I thought he had some good energy, physically involved. He really had some good pace. He's played well down there. He's had a real good stretch over some recent games."

--------------------