2013-2014 Chicago Bulls Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls Forum' started by little bear, Aug 20, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,652 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    It wasn't his happy, per ESPN he tore the ACL in his other knee and needs surgery now. DRose has now cost this team 2 years.
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,574ß
    Injuries did.... not exactly his fault.

I heard a stat that it is very hard to tear your ACL the first time. a 1 in a couple thousand chance

After tearing it the first time, odds of tearing it again (or the other) 1-33
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,721 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    Relax. McCown has it under control.
  4. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +753 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    631ß
    Thank god for the Blackhawks.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/17032/3-points-key-to-bulls-long-term-success

3 Points: Would Carmelo fit with Bulls?

1. Would Carmelo Anthony be the right star to pair with Derrick Rose?
    Nick Friedell: The right star? Probably not given how much Carmelo likes to have the ball in his hands. But what other star is coming to Chicago? Even if the odds are long regarding the Bulls finding a way to bring him here, they're still better than any other big star coming to play with Rose.

Doug Padilla: Teaming a shoot-first small forward with a scoring point guard seems supremely misguided, unless the NBA plans on using two basketballs during future games. Would Melo and Rose be fun to watch? Heck yes. But adding the 29-year-old Anthony, who makes $21 million this season, won't instantly turn the Bulls into a championship contender. And how much money would be left to build a supporting cast? The biggest issue of all is how much this would weaken the defense. Fun to watch is one thing, but this just isn't a good fit.

Scoop Jackson: No. As much as I love Melo, I don't see him working here without Luol Deng to be the balance that is needed while trying to build a championship-contending squad. I still am a fan of the Rose/Anthony offensive aesthetic and believe it could produce great results under Thibs if Melo makes some sort of commitment to defense and a little rebounding. But without Deng -- or the Bulls finding a player just like him -- it just doesn't work.

2. Who is more important to the Bulls' long-term success, Tom Thibodeau or a healthy Rose?

Friedell: Thibs is one of the best coaches around, but the NBA remains a star-driven league. The Bulls are going nowhere unless Rose gets healthy again.

Padilla: Since we're talking about a "healthy" Rose, clearly the former MVP is the bigger franchise changer. Talent wins the day in all sports, especially in the NBA. Thibodeau has all the earmarks of being a top-five head coach, but a top-five player, as Rose would be when healthy, simply carries more weight. Not saying just anybody can coach a talented NBA club to success, but even the best of coaches need talent at their disposal. Putting an injury-prone Rose into the question would alter the answer, though.

Jackson: Probably Thibs because to win a championship in the LeBron era, someone is going to have to construct a plan to beat him that goes beyond one player outplaying him. It's like with the Pacers: Paul George is the player who they cannot do without, but coach Frank Vogel will be the reason they get past Miami. And if that's the definition of success, then the coach plays a slightly bigger role in the end.

3. Is it important for Rose to travel with the team and sit on the bench this season?
    Friedell: Yes. He needs to feel like he's still part of the team and the players need to know he is still around and trying to get back on the floor. From a PR perspective, I think it's important for Rose to be there. He has played only 50 games in the past three years and fans have started to turn on him. His presence can only help show fans that he wants to support his teammates despite all of the injuries.

Padilla: Absolutely not. The idea that Rose's presence is necessary is something that only the Bulls players need to decide. Thus far, through two major knee injuries, Rose has the utmost respect from his teammates. Maybe if Rose had me-first tendencies, this could be an issue. But the way the kid devotes himself to winning when he's on the floor says plenty about his team focus. There is this, though: Nothing bad figures to come from Rose traveling and sitting on the bench.

Jackson: No. Last season I think it was. This time there's nothing to gain from it. It borders on torture for Rose and a constant reminder of what's missing for the team and staff. Maybe some games and trips are fine, as to not lose total contact and to keep Derrick connected to the game and stop him from cabin fever at home. But to hold him to the same travel schedule as the rest of the team benefits no one.
  6. little bear

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/17345/barkley-melo-would-make-bulls-relevant

Barkley: Melo could make Bulls relevant

Charles Barkley believes acquiring New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony could make the Chicago Bulls relevant.
    "I think [Anthony] has got some flaws in his game on the defensive end and rebounding, but if you put him with [Joakim] Noah -- Noah's my favorite player -- I think [coach Tom Thibodeau] would make him play defense," Barkley said Monday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN Chicago 1000. "I also think if the Bulls are going to be relevant in the next few years that might be something they can do. Carmelo is the best scorer in the NBA. I give him a little advantage over [Kevin] Durant because Durant doesn't post up as much as I think he should.

"But if the Bulls are going to be relevant the next few years, that might be a good pickup."

Anthony can opt out of the final year of his contract with the Knicks to become a free agent on July 1. A Yahoo! Sports report over the weekend quoted a source saying the Bulls are "much more in play for him" than the Los Angeles Lakers.

How would Anthony, perhaps the game's best scorer, fit into Thibodeau's defense-first system?

"I think Coach Thibs would be great for Carmelo," Barkley said. "I think he would make Carmelo a better player, more [than] one-dimensional because I think the Bulls play as hard as any team in the NBA. Thibs is great defensively. I think Thibs would do wonders for Carmelo."

If Anthony re-ups with the Knicks, he could ink a five-year contract worth $129,135,806. If he signs with another team, the maximum he can earn is $95,897,372 over four years, according to calculations by ESPN salary-cap expert Larry Coon. The Bulls would have to significantly overhaul their roster to pair Anthony with Derrick Rose, who is already signed to a max contract.

Barkley said he believes the perception that the Bulls are cheap is accurate, although he only cited their dealings with Thibodeau on the coach's extension as evidence.

"I do think they are cheap like the way they treated Coach Thibs a couple years ago," Barkley said. "The guy is one of the best coaches in the NBA and they make him wait. It was like pulling teeth getting a contract. I really don't have any problem with anything else they did. I have no problem with the [Luol] Deng trade because they are not going to sign him for big money going forward. He's an older player. I thought that was a great trade for the Bulls.

"I think they are in a very awkward situation. If they don't do something dramatic like bring in a Carmelo they are going to be irrelevant for the next few years."

Anthony aside, Barkley said the Bulls' future all comes down to Rose's surgically repaired knees.

"They were a legit contender before Derrick Rose started getting hurt. They were in the Eastern Conference finals a couple of years ago. They were right there," Barkley said. "The whole thing now is Derrick Rose's knees. I'm not sure what's going to happen with that situation. It's going to be wait and see the next couple of years.

"Derrick is such a great kid, but we don't have any idea how he is going to come back. If you're going to be relevant, Melo might be the way to go because there really isn't any other free agent out there right now who you would say, 'If we bring in this guy our team is going to be a lot better.'"

--------------------

I think at this point of Melo's career, he wants to win. He has help in Derrick Rose, and let's not forget that Chicago is still closer to winning a championship than New York. However, I don't think it's gonna happen. Bulls would have to overpay him and Melo has already said that he would love to retire as a Knick.
  7. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,721 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    right in the daddy bags:

[​IMG]
  8. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,721 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    Apparently Deng is not happy in Cleveland:

9. little bear

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...d-cavs-interested-jimmer-fredette-sources-say

Sources: Jimmer Fredette looks East

The Chicago Bulls and Cleveland Cavaliers are the latest teams to register interest in Jimmer Fredette, according to sources close to the process.
    Fredette and the Sacramento Kings officially agreed to a contract buyout Thursday ahead of the league's Saturday midnight ET deadline that will make the former BYU star eligible to appear in the playoffs with another team.

Even before the buyout was agreed to, Fredette's representatives had begun talks with interested teams, with one source saying the third-year shooting guard is giving strong consideration to signing with a contender in the East.

ESPN.com reported this week that the Memphis Grizzlies were pursuing Fredette, but the Grizzlies seemingly bowed out Wednesday, claiming former New York Knicks guard Beno Udrih off waivers when they sensed that Fredette preferred other options.

The Bulls have been handcuffed all season by luxury-tax concerns but, according to sources, quickly threw themselves into the Fredette mix after it became apparent this week that the sharpshooter would be parting company with Sacramento.

Chicago is roughly $600,000 below the luxury-tax threshold and believes it can sign a player to a prorated minimum deal and avoid going down as a tax team at season's end.

Cleveland, meanwhile, needs shooters even after trading for spot-up big man Spencer Hawes last week and have thus begun looking at Fredette as well. But the Akron Beacon-Journal reported Thursday that the Cavaliers' level of interest in Fredette could depend on the health of guards Dion Waiters (ankle) and C.J. Miles (knee), whose respective situations are expected to be clarified Thursday.

--------------------

Fredette could play combo guard for the Bulls depending on the team and who is out on the court. He will learn defense if he comes.

10. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,721 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    Come on Snell, you better learn how to properly chest bump, Noah is disappointed:

[​IMG]
  11. little bear

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    This is awkward. lol
  12. little bear

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/10541781/jimmer-fredette-excited-join-chicago-bulls

Jimmer Fredette excited to join Bulls

CHICAGO -- Jimmer Fredette is happy to be a Bull.

The newly signed member of coach Tom Thibodeau's team made that clear before Sunday's game against the New York Knicks, just hours after his deal with the Chicago Bulls became official. After reaching a buyout agreement with the Sacramento Kings earlier in the week, Fredette is excited about the chance to finally play for a winning team.
    "I see how this team plays and they play hard every single night," Fredette said. "And they play for each other and they play the right way and that's kind of something that I was looking for, to come into a team that I could fit in and play the way that I wanted to and play hard every single night and be a part of a team. So I'm excited to be here and I can't wait to start and get out there and play and see how things go. But I'm really excited to be here."

Fredette played 3 minutes in the Bulls' 109-90 victory over the Knicks, making 1 of 2 shots to finish with 2 points in his Chicago debut.

Thibodeau believes that Fredette will be able to space the floor for a team that is in need of both offense and consistent outside shooting.

"He's got a skill that's as good as anyone," Thibodeau said. "He can shoot the ball. We need shooting. He's coming in late so we'll see how it unfolds."

Both Thibodeau and Fredette are hopeful that the BYU alum will be able to fit into the defensive schemes quickly.

"I think that he's more than just a shooter," Thibodeau said. "I think what he can do in the pick and roll can be very effective. He's very good with the ball. He's got to learn defensively what to do in terms of team defense and that's usually the biggest adjustment. But the fact that he can shoot the way that he can, I think it complements our primary scorers as well."

For Fredette, the deal with the Bulls for the rest of the season represents a fresh start. He never found a niche in Sacramento but he believes he learned a lot during his time with the Kings.

"Sometimes things don't go the way that you want it to all the time," he said. "But I appreciate everything that happened in Sacramento. It was character building for me, continuing to go out and play hard. And I feel like I progressed as a player even though sometimes you didn't get the minutes you wanted to, you just got to continue to work hard and know that if you keep playing hard and doing the right things that eventually things will turn your way so I'm hoping that will happen here."

Fredette admitted one of the main reasons he signed in Chicago was because of Thibodeau and his ability to get the most of guards that have been overlooked in the league. Last season, Nate Robinson and Marco Belinelli played well under the demanding coach and earned new deals last summer in the league. D.J. Augustin has thrived in Thibodeau's system since being waived by the Toronto Raptors in December.

"He's done a great job with that and I'm excited about that," Fredette said of Thibodeau. "Hopefully [I'll] come in and he plays to your strengths. That's what he told me when I talked to him, that he's going to find out what my strengths are and play to them. Hopefully we'll be able to do that and further my career."
    --------------------

Fredette is a class act. He was given the opportunity in this interview to criticize the Kings and he took the high road. I wish him the best and hope to see him flourish in Chicago.

Go Bulls!!
  13. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,721 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    Well, apparently Noah pitched the Bulls to Carmelo Anthony during All Star weekend:

14. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,721 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    Now we know where Joakim gets it from (his dad being interviewed):

15. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,574ß
    Heh.... the Bulls.

Thank goodness we are in the East.
  16. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    now - yes, in the 90's getting to the finals would mean getting it done, Houston would have zero if MJ was around
  17. little bear

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
  18. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,721 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    Congrats, Jo...definitely deserve it:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...oah-chicago-bulls-named-defensive-player-year

Joakim Noah is Defensive POY
    Updated: April 21, 2014, 3:26 PM ET
    By Nick Friedell | ESPNChicago.com
    DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah will be named the defensive player of the year, according to a league source. The news conference will be held at 4 p.m. CT.

More from ESPN.com
    [​IMG]Joakim Noah, the heart and soul of the most frustrating defense in the league, was an easy choice as the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year, writes Jon Greenberg.Story

Noah is in the midst of the best season of his professional career, averaging 12.6 points, 11.3 rebounds and 5.4 assists per game during the regular season. While Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau didn't confirm the news, he has acknowledged throughout the year just how important Noah has been on both ends of the floor.

Aside from serving as the defensive anchor for Thibodeau's system, Noah has also become an even bigger leader on and off the floor for his teammates after the loss of Derrick Rose (knee surgery) and the trade of Luol Deng to Cleveland.

"I'm not going to comment right now," Thibodeau said after Monday's practice. "Because the league has asked us to wait until they make an announcement. But Jo's had a great year for us. So I'll comment at the appropriate time. ... I'd like to keep my money."

Noah becomes the first Bull since Michael Jordan to win the prestigious award. Jordan won the award in 1988. The emotional center also has a strong chance to make the All-NBA first team.

Teammate Taj Gibson is considered a strong candidate for Sixth Man of the Year, while Thibodeau figures to be in the running for Coach of the Year.

CSN Chicago earlier reported news of Noah's recognition.
  19. little bear

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    Totally deserves it.
  20. little bear

Ratings:
    +993 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    Bulls lost their first two home games, I don't see them coming back.

We need Melo next season.