2013 Draft: Rb,Rb,Rb...or ???

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Forum' started by A-11, Aug 2, 2013.

1. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I've finally started to sort through the rankings and mock a little and I've read and understand why so many people have suggested going RB in the first two rounds. Often, when I've done this in a 12 team draft I've ended up taking three because I can't resist taking a chance with McFadden or MJD in the 3rd... I keep thinking flex, security, and jebus these WR ehh ah... right now, the WR2's I like are ranked lower: Pass... If I can't get a top 5 receiver, I'll take a shot down the line.

Well here is a different thought for a draft coming up this weekend I'd like some feedback on... This is a 12 Team PPR DYNASTY league we are starting this year.

I don't have a good feel for the tight ends, I've pretty much been skipping out on the three I like for PPR. Graham is getting taken early round 2 or even in round 1 on some mocks. However, the other two I like have occasionally slid. (Witten (PPR beast) and Gronkowski (Inj./talent split, who might be good/real good for the FF playoffs)

So if I should get the first or second pick in my upcoming draft snag my stud RB then sit and wait to see if an opportunity comes along to pick up Gronkowski and Witten back to back on the turn... Would that be crazy?

The way I feel about it, is if they both drop that low I can close out the elite TE tier as I see it. I expect to have to wait for Gronk but when he returns I don't loose out on Witten who becomes a good flex play.

If they are not there to draft I'd do what I've been doing anyways (Forte, Sproles, perhaps even Lynch (they drafted at least two tightends , and perhaps other non rb's if plan A is busted)

Do you like the idea or am I just trying to be too cute?

The downside is of course I watered down my RB's, and I limit the bench opportunities for a flex play.

(PS. yes I am a T.Gonzalez fan, but I said new dynasty league which Witten also plays into... might be trade plan late in the season. I see Witten playing more seasons, Tony not so much.)
  2. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Just to follow up... The more I thought about this the more I think tightend-tightend at the corner is a bad strategy. I have ended up taking running backs on my first three picks in several drafts and have generally been happy with the results. I like locking up the RB situation early and having that third player penciled into flex and ready to play RB2 on bye weeks or in case of injury.
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +960 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    270ß
    The reason for going RB-RB is simple: There are only about 10 good RB, and about 20 worthy of a start on a weekly basis. QB's/WR's are easier to pickup via the FA market and have score for you. Most teams in my league draft at least 5 RB's, with two of them being key backups or RBBC players. There just isn't enough worthwhile RB's, so supply is driving demand.