2014-2015 Chicago Blackhawks Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Blackhawks Forum' started by little bear, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß

Oh I understand the off season, but the draft was how many weeks after the NHL Finals??

I mean it's like the hurry to get to the draft, then just sit and wait for the summer to be over.

I've never watched or read much about the NHL draft, but I'm guessing they do it this quick because of the college grads having to move on with their lives after college?
  2. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +584 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    289ß
    College kids? Try high school kids just barely in college being drafted high.
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß

Fuck, I knew I shouldn't have given up hockey when I was 12!!!
  4. 4th and 26

Ratings:
    +584 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    289ß
    Well the world need ditch diggers, too
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,449 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    754ß
    Patrick Kane sucks. Only scored 5 Goals. Vinny Scarsella score 7. Sign him up!!
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,449 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    754ß
    And after that game, Kaner stayed to take pictures with fans, but had the common decency to censor one kid's St Louis Blues T-shirt:

[​IMG]
  7. 4th and 26

Ratings:
    +584 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    289ß
    There is hope for this kid.
  8. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Nick Schmalz is a solid pick for Chicago at 20. He was ranked anywhere from 19 (CCS) to 24 (ISS).

An American from Green Bay (boo!) of the USHL who has under sized. I've only been able to catch about 3-4 USHL games from Canada via streaming, but he has been noticeable in and out of his games but really excels at making nice passes and uses his vision well. I was impressed with his speed and two-way game is pretty good as well.

With his size, his biggest downfall is that he is a perimiter player and doesnt venture into the dirty area's often and shys away from contact, so if his vision and IQ dont meet expectations, he likely wont thrive at the NHL level.

The USHL is just a tough league to get anything out of projection wise, as comparable players (size/points) are on par with Erik Condra but exceeding that of Sam Gagner and Zemgus Girgensons
  9. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    decent 2nd line center, sure.. but hard pressed to find a team he would ever be a #1 on. I'd say there are actually more teams he would be #3 on than there are teams he would be #1 on. However, for Chicago, a team that has beed desperate enough for a #2 center that Handzus was playing there, this is a good signing.
  10. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +819 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    719ß
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eed-of-a-bounce-back-season-in-2014-15/page/8

1 Player on Each NHL Team in Need of a Bounce-Back Season in 2014-15

Chicago Blackhawks: Brent Richards

2013-14 statistics: 82 games played, 20 goals, 31 assists, 51 points

Synopsis of last season: Richards posted respectable numbers with the New York Rangers through the regular season and the first half of the 2014 NHL playoffs. Throughout the Eastern Conference Final and Stanley Cup Final, however, the 34-year-old center managed only three points.

The Record's Andrew Gross cited Richards' lack of speed and propensity for turnovers during the Final against the Los Angeles Kings. After being bought out by the Rangers, Richards signed a one-year, $2 million deal with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Outlook for 2014-15: While no longer a top-line center, Richards hopes to prove himself a worthwhile second-line pivot with the powerhouse Blackhawks. Doing so could earn him a longer-term deal with the 'Hawks or with another club via next summer's free-agent market.

--------------------
  11. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    • Like Like x 3
  12. little bear

Ratings:
    +819 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    719ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/stor...ckhawks-nix-stripper-online-petition-launched

Blackhawks nix 'The Stripper'

The Chicago Blackhawks will no longer play "The Stripper" during their Shoot the Puck contest after hearing from fans who found the song demeaning to women, a team spokesperson said Wednesday.
    Blackhawks fans recently have been voicing their opinions about the song and a few other Blackhawks practices they deem sexist. The push for change picked up after Marissa Miller, 31, of Chicago, started gathering online signatures Aug. 6 for a petition for the Blackhawks to treat their female fans the same as their male ones.
    Miller said Wednesday she has accumulated nearly 900 signatures since posting the petition. She also created a hashtag movement on Twitter of #BanTheStripper, which has frequently been tweeted to the Blackhawks' Twitter account in the past week.
    Blackhawks president and CEO John McDonough said Wednesday that the organization has been paying attention to its fans.
    "We have to listen," McDonough told the Chicago Sun-Times on Wednesday. "We have to be aware. We have to react when appropriate -- not overreact, but react. We take all of this very seriously. We have had to take a look at every single element, every aspect of our operation, our hockey business from A to Z. I certainly have read the stories, and I understand the sensitive nature of all of that."
    McDonough denied an interview request by ESPN Chicago on Wednesday.
    Miller's goals for the petition are for the Blackhawks to change their Shoot the Puck contest -- including removing "The Stripper" and changing how female contestants are picked -- provide appropriate attire for the women's Ice Crew and include more women moderators for future fan conventions.
    "This is the time to do the right thing," Miller said recently in a phone interview. "To say to women, we hear you, and we respect you enough to treat you the same as men. You can't underestimate how difficult it is to wear a player's name on your back or a team's emblem over your heart, and it gets to the point where you don't feel like you're being treated the same."
    Miller's No. 1 objective is to alter the Blackhawks' Shoot the Puck contest, which regularly occurs during the second intermission of home games. A female contestant is always included and is accompanied by the organist playing David Rose's "The Stripper," which was featured in the hockey movie "Slap Shot."
    "It's gotten to the point where there's jeering in the audience, and you can hear men say some ridiculous things," Miller said. "It's more like the overall picture. It's always the woman standing there when 'The Stripper' is played. It's never the guy or the celebrity. It's her theme music.
    "That just to me, I can't pretend to understand it. It's 2014. If you're having a song called 'The Stripper' and having a woman coming out [to] that, if that happened in any other environment, I think you would hear about it. If it happens at a hockey game, which makes it acceptable, I don't buy into that."
    Miller also has an issue with how the female contestants are selected.
    "I have no objection to women wearing high heels or women dressing up to go to a hockey game," Miller said. "I have a problem with that being the only women who are picked. You're not going to see a grandma. You're not going to see a mother. You can't say this woman is randomly picked. You see different kinds of men. You don't know what you're going to see when a man comes out, but you have a pretty good idea when a woman comes out."
    Miller's second objective is for the Blackhawks to clothe the women who are members of the Ice Crew appropriately to do their job of shoveling ice during media timeouts. The Ice Crew's uniforms for women include short skirts and crop tops.
    Miller's final goal is for the Blackhawks to include more women moderators at their fan conventions in the future. The Blackhawks' 2014 convention did not include a woman moderator, but previous conventions have.
    McDonough told the Sun-Times that the Blackhawks had not committed to any others changes, but they would continue to listen to their fans.
    "I think as our franchise's fan base has exploded, we're hearing and we're witnessing and we have to evolve with all of that, and we have to change and we have to address it," McDonough said. "We hear the feedback. We respect it. We're distilling it right now.
    "We want to be respectful to everybody."
    Miller plans to continue collecting signatures over the coming days and deliver them to the Blackhawks in the near future. The online petition includes a variety of questions including age, gender, amount of money spent on Blackhawks merchandise in the past two years and whether the individual would like to share any experiences tied to the petition's goals with the Blackhawks. Miller hopes the Blackhawks can use the information as research data.
    "I love that the conversation is happening," Miller said. "I love the fights that people are having on the Internet. I love people finding their voices. Not all people are ever going to be convinced, but people feel empowered based off this.
    "I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't love this team. I would otherwise go spend my time and money doing something else. I want them to succeed. I want them to be the envy of other fan bases in the country. I think they can do that. I think they're smart enough to do it. We'll see if they prove me right. I hope they do."

--------------------

Jesus Christ, can somebody please make her shut the fuck up?! I have no problem with them changing the stripper song, the "random" selection of female puck shooters, and having more women moderators at conventions. But they better not change a thing about the Ice Girls, they are beautiful and beauty should be acknowledged in all of its forms.
  13. little bear

Ratings:
    +819 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    719ß
    :woot: :cheers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. little bear

Ratings:
    +819 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    719ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/stor...ckhawks-sign-goalie-michael-leighton-one-year

Blackhawks sign Michael Leighton

Goaltender Michael Leighton expects he may have to endure some good-natured ribbing from his new Chicago Blackhawks teammates.
    Leighton, who signed a one-year deal with the Blackhawks on Monday, was in net for the Philadelphia Flyers when Chicago forward Patrick Kane scored the game-winning, series-clinching goal in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals in 2010. The goal gave the Blackhawks their first championships since 1961.
    "I think it'll be a little bit of a have-fun-with-it kind of a thing," Leighton said during a teleconference on Monday afternoon. "That was 2010. It was a great season for me. That year really made my career. I can't say I'm disappointed on how the whole turnout went. Obviously, I would have liked to win, but it didn't turn out that way.
    "Since then, I've moved on, played some more hockey with different teams. Back in Chicago, it's going to be a couple jokes thrown around the locker room, but I'm over it and looking forward to being a part of the Chicago Blackhawks again."
    Leighton, 33, returns to the Blackhawks after being drafted by them in the sixth round in 1999 and spending two seasons with them in the NHL. He was traded by the Blackhawks to the Buffalo Sabres in 2005 and has been bounced around to a variety of teams since then. He has a 35-41-14 record with a 2.97 goals-against average and .901 save percentage in 105 career NHL games.
    Leighton's last stop was in the KHL playing for Donbass Donetsk in the Ukraine last season. He went 20-15 with a 1.74 goals-against average and .934 save percentage.
    "The experience was good for me," Leighton said of the KHL. "It was very different. It's different hockey, different lifestyle. I've never been over to Europe, so the whole year was different for me. I was planning on going back this year, signed in Sochi, but was unable to attend training camp because of an illness. When that was canceled, kind of looked around here a little bit, and I really liked the offer from Chicago and the chance to play North American hockey again."
    Leighton wouldn't get into what the illness he had was, but he said it affected him for four weeks. He said he saw a number of doctors and is fine now.
    Leighton's signing gives the Blackhawks another goaltender with NHL experience. Within the organization, only Corey Crawford and Antti Raanta, the Blackhawks' top two goaltenders last season, have played in multiple NHL games. Raanta, the Blackhawks' No. 2 goaltender, signed a one-way deal in the offseason.
    Leighton, who will be on a two-way deal, will likely compete with Scott Darling and Kent Simpson for ice time with the Rockford IceHogs, the team's AHL affiliate. The Blackhawks also signed Darling in the offseason.
    "I can't speculate or say what the organization has in mind for me," Leighton said. "I'm going to go to training camp to do my best. My goal is obviously to play better than [Raanta] and Crawford if I can. That's all I can control."
    For anyone wondering, Leighton also doesn't know where the missing game-winning puck went from Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals.
    "I've heard there's a lot of controversy about it," Leighton said. "I don't know where the puck is. I've been asked many times. The last I've seen it was under the net. I kind of lifted the net up and kicked it. I know the referee or linesman was beside me, and that was it. That was kind of the last thing on my mind finding where that puck was. That's all I can tell you about that."

--------------------
  15. little bear

Ratings:
    +819 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    719ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/stor...hawks-play-2015-winter-classic-nationals-park

Caps, Hawks to play at Nats' field

The Washington Capitals will celebrate New Year's Day 2015 with an outdoor game at Nationals Park, a source confirmed to ESPN.com Sunday.
    The Capitals will host the Chicago Blackhawks in the Major League Baseball stadium in the NHL's annual Winter Classic outdoor game on Jan. 1. The stadium, home to the Washington Nationals, has been the preferred location for the game from the moment it was formally announced almost a year ago the Capitals would host the event.
    Ironing out the final details took longer than expected, but those issues have been resolved and a formal announcement regarding the site will take place in the near future, a source told ESPN.com.
    The NHL did look at other options in the Washington area including FedEx Field, where the Washington Redskins play their home games, and RFK Stadium, the team's former home. Neither was a serious contender.
    The Capitals will be hosting their first Winter Classic after being the visiting team in Pittsburgh in 2011. The Blackhawks hosted the second Winter Classic at Wrigley Field in 2009. They also hosted an outdoor game after the Sochi Olympics at Soldier Field last winter as part of the NHL's Stadium Series of outdoor contests.
    The Nationals Park game will mark the fourth Winter Classic to be held in a baseball stadium, following Wrigley, Fenway Park and Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia.

--------------------
  16. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,873 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    849ß
    Bring on the Hawks
  17. vmx12

vmx12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0