2014-2015 Chicago Bulls Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls Forum' started by little bear, May 23, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    You have got to be kidding me!

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/201...ng-options-target-carmelo-anthony-free-agency

Heat look to target Carmelo Anthony

MIAMI -- The Miami Heat's immediate focus remains overcoming a 2-1 NBA Finals deficit to the San Antonio Spurs, but discussions have begun within the organization about trying to grow their so-called Big Three into a Big Four, according to sources close to the situation.
    Sources told ESPN.com that Heat officials and the team's leading players have already started to explore their options for creating sufficient financial flexibility to make an ambitious run at adding New York Knicks scoring machine Carmelo Anthony this summer in free agency.
    The mere concept would require the star trio of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to all opt out of their current contracts by the end of the month and likely take further salary reductions in new deals that start next season to give Miami the ability to offer Anthony a representative first-year salary. The Heat also are prevented from making any formal contact with Anthony until July 1 and can do so then only if he opts out of the final year of his current contract. Anthony has until June 23 to notify the Knicks of his intentions, according to sources.
    But the success of the Heat's 2010 free-agent bonanza has established them as the NBA's undisputed destination franchise, with owner Micky Arison empowering big-thinking team president Pat Riley to attempt to pull off another coup in the market despite new collective bargaining agreement rules aimed at preventing it.
    Sources say internal conversations within the Heat organization about pursuing this course have run concurrently with Miami's bid to win a third consecutive championship, with sources adding that James in particular is likely to try to recoup potential salary sacrificed through fresh off-court business opportunities if the Heat's new dream scenario does come to fruition.
    James' off-court business is booming, thanks to a string of investments paying off massively and the prospect of new opportunities in endorsements and entertainment projects promising to expand his wealth significantly in coming years.
    In a recent example, while James was leading the Heat to a victory over the Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference finals, sources say the 29-year-old was finalizing what is believed to be the biggest equity cash payout for a professional athlete in history as part of Apple's recent $3 billion purchase of Beats Electronics. Sources briefed on the situation say James realized a profit of more than $30 million in cash and stock in the Beats sale after he had struck a deal to get a small stake in the company at its inception in 2008 in exchange for promoting its high-end headphones.
    With cooperation from their stars and role players Udonis Haslem and Chris Andersen, who also possess player options for next season, the Heat could open up in excess of $50 million in cap space this summer and have the most financial flexibility in the league. The only Heat player locked into place for next season is Norris Cole at a salary of $2 million, although Riley will have to contend with a handful of cap holds for pending free agents as well as their upcoming first-round pick (No. 26 overall) in the draft later this month.
    Getting James, Wade, Bosh, Haslem and Andersen to take pay cuts significant enough to open a significant slot for Anthony undoubtedly will be complex. It would require reductions that could stretch into the tens of millions over the next few seasons. Sources say the Heat's plan is to sell the players they wish to keep on the long-term benefits of making such a sacrifice.
    The Heat are in essence trying to emulate some of the longstanding policies employed by their current Finals opponent, as the Spurs have been able to keep Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili together for more than a decade -- while routinely strengthening the supporting cast around them -- because their three best players have been repeatedly willing to take pay cuts.
    The Spurs' ability to keep the championship window open by selling their mainstays on such sacrifices has allowed Duncan and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to make it back to the game's biggest stage 15 years after San Antonio's first Finals appearance in 1999.
    James will turn 30 in December, and Bosh, Wade and Anthony all are in their 30s and mindful of their advancing age.
    James feels he needs to reduce his workload during the regular season, especially with Wade at a point in his career where knee problems are limiting him to fewer games. Wade missed 28 games during the regular season as part of a maintenance program aimed at keeping him as fresh as possible for the playoffs.
    Pairing with Anthony, his close friend and a player who sports a similar skill set, is attractive to James. Anthony and the Heat's three stars have maintained a good relationship since they entered the league together in the 2003 draft class. There is a strong belief that the team concept Miami has forged since 2010 would allow them to learn to be effective all playing together.
    Bosh already has indicated publicly on multiple occasions during the playoffs that, despite external suggestions that he could be tempted into moving on and restoring himself as a team's No. 1 option like he was in Toronto, he is determined to stay with the Heat into the future.
    But James, as he has all season, sidestepped an attempt at Wednesday's off-day news conference to get him talking about his future, saying: "That's kind of like on the back burner right now."

--------------------

Let's be honest here, if that were to happen Miami would own league for the next 6-8 years.

Bulls need to do whatever it takes to clear up cap space and sign this dude pronto!

[​IMG]
  2. little bear

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...-new-york-knicks-intends-opt-test-free-agency

Carmelo Anthony intends to opt out

Despite efforts by New York Knicks president Phil Jackson to persuade him to remain under contract, forward Carmelo Anthony hasn't changed his mind and plans to opt out of his contract and test free agency this summer, according to a league source familiar with the situation.
    Sources told ESPN.com earlier this week that Jackson is continuing to urge Anthony to exercise next season's $23.3 million player option and put off unrestricted free agency for one more year. Anthony, according to sources, has until June 23 to inform the Knicks whether he plans to opt out.
    Jackson and other members of the Knicks' hierarchy are expected to meet with Anthony and his representatives this weekend in Los Angeles -- possibly as early as Friday night -- league sources confirmed. Knicks coach Derek Fisher and general manager Steve Mills are expected to be at the meeting, too.
    Owner James Dolan, though, is not expected to be involved in the meetings.
    "This is Phil's show," one league source told ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne.
    Yahoo! Sports first reported the Knicks' plan to meet with Anthony in Los Angeles. The team's full-court press is unlikely to change Anthony's mind. A league source said late Thursday night that at this point, he remains committed to opting out, something he had said publicly during the season.
    Jackson first said late last month that he hoped Anthony would consider opting in for the final year of his contract, which would also give the Knicks a better idea of the free-agency landscape in 2015.
    "I told him it might be a good idea to hang in here and see what it's like for a year and go out the next year," Jackson said. "But that's his option, that's what he's earned, and that's what's part of his contractual agreement. He has the right to do that. But I just offered that as, 'Look, this gives you an opportunity to see how this is going to change, see how we're going to get going, your relationship to the team and the coach and the system or whatever, the system we impose.' "
    Jackson said when he first broached the subject with Anthony during a dinner meeting in late April, the All-Star forward was receptive to the idea. ESPN.com reported that Jackson has delivered the pitch to Anthony on multiple occasions during the past month.
    The New York Daily News reported Thursday that Anthony intends to test free agency, beginning July 1, barring a "dramatic change of heart."
    The Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks are all teams Anthony would consider, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein, provided Anthony remains steadfast in his decision to opt out between now and June 23. Miami Heat officials also have started to explore their options in trying to create enough financial flexibility to land Anthony in free agency, ESPN.com reported earlier this week.
    Anthony would have to make a monetary sacrifice if he decides to leave New York. With the Knicks, Anthony can sign a maximum five-year contract worth more than $129.1 million. If he signs with another team, the maximum he can earn is about $96 million over four years. Anthony likely would have to sign for significantly less to join the Heat.
    The Knicks are expected to have plenty of cap space in 2015 to try to reel in a big-name free agent to pair with Anthony.
    Jackson said late last month that he "wasn't losing sleep" over Anthony's free-agency situation but was "definitely concerned" that Anthony might sign with another team.
    "It only takes one bidder out there that has the ability and can ruin your hopes and your chances," Jackson said.
    Fisher also has made it known that he hopes Anthony re-signs with the Knicks.
    "I want to be extremely clear that I would love to have the opportunity to work [with] and coach Carmelo Anthony," Fisher said in an interview earlier this week on ESPN 98.7 FM's "The Michael Kay Show." "I want him to be back with the New York Knicks and to remain a part of what we're trying to do here and what we will do. So I don't think anyone has expressed a lukewarm feeling about wanting him back. I think we're all trying to be respectful as people. Carmelo is a great person. He's a family guy, and they have decisions that are sometimes independent of what is best for everybody else. So you respect that process.
    "So I would think Phil, Steve Mills, myself, we're trying hard not to turn this into a 'Carmelo, please stay' type of process. At the same time, we have no problem expressing that we do want him as part of this team. We feel we can win a championship with him as our core and centerpiece."

--------------------
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    I dont think theres a way Miami would rule anything in the next 6-8y, I believe Melo has 2-3 good seasons in him... Im not sure he would bring us anything, excellent player no doubt, one of the best shooters no doubt, but he doesnt strike me as a winner. Sorry to say this, but hes kind of a Cutler type, hope we can win with him, not entirely sure.
    Would like to see Mirotic first, hes good as gold and no way that expensive, and we could keep all of our guys, would give that a chance first. As we can see European players (Parker, Diaw, Belinelli) and European-bred (Ginobili, Splitter) players can sure win it!
  4. little bear

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/19471/webber-carmelo-shouldnt-go-to-bulls

Webber: Carmelo shouldn't go to Bulls

As Carmelo Anthony prepares to decide on his NBA future in the next few weeks, Chris Webber says there's one team the New York Knicks star should cross off his list.
    "If I'm Melo, I'm definitely not going to Chicago," Webber, a former NBA star and current TV analyst, said Wednesday on "The Herd with Colin Cowherd" on ESPN Radio. "That's just not the place to go. When D-Rose was healthy, they had terrible offense. [Coach Tom] Thibodeau is a great, great coach, but offensively you have to have an offensive-minded coach as well, someone who can adapt like a [Spurs coach Gregg] Popovich, who uses talent and not just harps on them that we're going to play hard every night. Everybody can play hard every night, but can you play with the IQ, can you play with smarts every night?"

Anthony has maintained that he plans to opt out of the final year of his contract and test free agency this summer. According to sources, Anthony has until Monday to tell the Knicks whether he plans to opt out.

New Knicks president Phil Jackson has said he'd like Anthony to opt in to the final year of his deal and become a free agent next summer. Free agency begins July 1.

The Bulls, Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks are all teams Anthony would consider in free agency, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Webber thinks the Rockets are the sleeper in the Melo sweepstakes.
    "If I'm Melo, and not just because his coach is my friend, I'm going to Houston," Webber said. "Dwight Howard doesn't want to be the No. 1. Everbody is on him, right? So now I have a better [Dikembe] Mutombo ... and he can score, so we don't need him to score. Second, I have [James] Harden. Harden averaged 25 points last year but seems to maybe disappear in the fourth quarter, especially in the playoffs. So now I have Melo who can go to that team, I can keep [Chandler] Parsons and trade [Omer] Asik and I can trade [Jeremy] Lin hopefully. If I can trade both of them and then keep Parsons, who is going to be the sixth man of the year coming off the bench.

"One thing about Melo's game that people don't appreciate: He's the best, in my opinion, bar none, catch-and-shoot guy in the league. Now, does he overdribble? He's probably the most overdribbling guy in the league, but if he has someone who can just pass and get him wide-open jump shots, I think that his whole game would change and he'd be known maybe for winning."

Anthony can make the most money ($129 million over five years) if he re-signs with the Knicks. If he signs with another team, Anthony can sign a maximum contract of $96 million over four years.

--------------------

So Melo shouldn't go to the team that needs scoring at the 3 but the team that has plenty of scoring and no defense? That makes zero sense to me.What an idiot.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. little bear

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/surveying-the-lebron-landscape/

Surveying the LeBron Landscape

The trajectory of an entire sports league can turn on random things. If you gave Heat officials truth serum three weeks ago, after they had vanquished an imploding Indiana team, they’d have told you they preferred Oklahoma City as a Finals opponent.
    The Thunder have three overwhelming athletes, but even a wheezing Heat team has a fighting chance against elite athleticism, provided it comes without a sophisticated offensive scheme. The Heat might not have beaten the Thunder, but they’d have had a better chance than they did against San Antonio. The Thunder might not have beaten the Spurs had Serge Ibaka been healthy for the whole conference finals, but they’d have had a better chance.
    In other words: You don’t have to squint too hard to see a scenario in which the Heat three-peat, or at least emerge from the Finals without having been disemboweled — a scenario in which the world is not wondering whether the Heatles era is over.
    But the Spurs broke Miami. They demoralized the Heat, and Dwyane Wade’s second straight depressing Finals performance hammered home the notion that Miami must prepare as if he will end every season that way. This Heat team is in decline. If all three stars opt in for next season, or just return at similar salaries, Miami will have limited means to improve the supporting cast.
    The Heat have a first-round pick in this draft, and during a Thursday press conference that was mostly a bombastic monologue, Pat Riley mentioned that James Ennis, a 2013 second-rounder whom the Heat acquired in a draft-day trade, might join next season, after a year playing overseas. Toss in Udonis Haslem’s $4.6 million player option and Norris Cole, and the Heat would have about $70.5 million committed to eight players if all three stars opt in next season. That would make it difficult, and perhaps even impossible, for the Heat to use the full midlevel exception; Riley hinted Thursday that the Heat may have to use the smaller one for tax teams in order to duck both the tax and the hard salary ceiling that comes for any team using the bigger midlevel.
    Dodging the tax might be a must for Miami. The Heat have paid it in all three seasons since the lockout, meaning that if they pay again next year, they’ll be the first team to suffer the extra-harsh repeater penalties reserved for teams that fly into the tax four times in a five-year span. Riley said Thursday he would not ask any of his three stars to take a pay cut — that he would leave it to them to volunteer. But Miami will be hamstrung in team-building, again, unless it cuts projected salary somehow — by coaxing a cut from someone, or striking a wink-wink deal with Haslem to opt out in exchange for a guarantee of a front-office job.
    LeBron could look at this roster and plausibly conclude it no longer represents his best chance at long-term championship contention. But where else would he find that? LeBron can in theory force his way to any team, especially if he’s willing to take a larger pay cut than most would have expected possible even a year ago. LeBron could go anywhere, without any cap gymnastics, if he’s willing to shock the world by accepting only the midlevel exception.
    He could also opt in for just one more season in Miami, suss out the franchise’s plans, and see what the free-agency landscape looks like a year from now. James is sensitive about his legacy, and surely understands that jumping teams again would brand him a mercenary.
    But let’s assume LeBron opts out and considers some suitors who can contend immediately and offer a reasonable salary without any complex cap machinations. Any fits?

Chicago Bulls

The Bulls could open up about $13 million of cap room if they use the amnesty provision on Carlos Boozer, though the precise figure would depend on what Chicago does with its two first-round picks, and whether they want to bring Nikola Mirotic over from Europe. They could crack open $5 million more by finding a landing spot for Mike Dunleavy and using one of their two first-rounders on an international draft-and-stash guy. That gets them in range.
    That is exactly what Chicago would do in order to sign Carmelo Anthony in straight free agency, and if you’re chasing Anthony, you might as well at least call LeBron. A core of Derrick Rose, LeBron, Joakim Noah, Jimmy Butler, and Taj Gibson would be an overwhelming favorite to get out of the Eastern Conference. If LeBron cared only about winning, this is a better option than Miami.
    And not to restate the obvious, but the East-West split is huge. If your no. 1 goal is to win a title, you should absolutely get yourself into the NBA’s minor league. Critics want to discredit the Heat’s “runner-up” status by pointing out they merely had to prance through the East, and there’s some validity to that. But the Big Three didn’t choose Miami by accident.
    The fit would also be appealing. James can share ballhandling duties with Rose, which would allow Rose to ease back into stardom after two lost seasons. Noah is a skilled high-post passer, meaning LeBron could own the low block when optimal. Working from there would be easier if the Bulls could separate the Noah-Gibson duo a bit; they’ve rarely played small over the past two seasons, but LeBron is the ultimate enabler of lineup flexibility. He’s an elite defender when motivated, and he could adapt to Tom Thibodeau’s conservative scheme — a system that would be a bit kinder to his legs as he ages.
    Winning isn’t the only factor, of course. There is some legitimate bad blood between Chicago and Miami, and joining a Central Division team would mean slamming another nut-shot into the city of Cleveland.

Houston Rockets

The same general principle holds true here: If Houston has a series of transactions lined up that would free it to chase Melo, the identical domino effect would allow it to chase James. The fit here might be a bit more awkward, though Houston, unlike Chicago, has embraced small-ball lineups over the past two seasons.
    Dwight Howard is strictly a paint player, and it’s harder for LeBron to find maneuvering room on the block if there’s another behemoth standing (along with his defender) just across the paint. That’s especially so because James loves to turn toward the middle, draw defenders, and kick to open shooters.
    Howard soaks up a lot of possessions with his own post-ups, and James Harden loves to jab-step away before and after running high pick-and-rolls. But greatness eventually trumps fit issues. We ranted and raved about the skill overlap between James and Wade in their first season together, but they came within two wins of a championship.
    By the way: Note the number of teams that would have to dump salaries to chase the league’s elite free agents. This would seem to present a nice opportunity for teams with cap room to extort the desperate dumpers. But there are so many teams with cap room, the extortion process might not yield more than a second-rounder or two. We’ll see.

Phoenix Suns

There’s a near-zero chance of this happening, but Phoenix should be a viable landing spot if LeBron wants to earn his actual max on an up-and-coming team with a smart new head coach who favors an exciting style of play.
    The Suns have so much cap flexibility, they might be able to sign LeBron to the max, re-sign Eric Bledsoe at close to his (lower) max, and still have max-level cap room in the summer of 2015. They’re flush with extra first-round picks, meaning they’d have weapons to land another star player over the next couple of years.
    In the short term, LeBron can take some of the ballhandling duties from Bledsoe and Goran Dragic, give the team the killer low-post threat it lacks on nights Markieff Morris’s midranger isn’t falling, and seal up a below-average defense. The Suns’ two most important rotation big men, Morris and Channing Frye, can shoot from the outside, giving LeBron free rein to occupy the post when he wants.
    Having full access to one of the league’s best training staffs is a nice bonus for any player approaching 30 with nearly 28,000 minutes under his belt.
    This is one of those ideas that won’t happen simply because it’s too far out of the box. Players don’t have a ton of affection for Robert Sarver, the team’s owner, a lockout hard-liner who went through a draft pick–selling spree in the mid-2000s. (In fairness, the Suns also paid a bit of tax during three separate seasons late in the Nash era.) But wouldn’t this be fun?

Atlanta Hawks

Go ahead, laugh it up. The Hawks might be the most consistently successful punch line in sports. People mock their dead crowds, their hallowed tradition of playing first-round games on NBA TV, and their uncanny ability to peak at “pretty good” during high times.
    But Atlanta could clear about $17 million for LeBron if it salary-dumps Lou Williams onto one of many, many teams slated to have enough space to soak up his deal. That’s not LeBron’s max, but it’s close. If LeBron is willing to take a haircut, he’s going to do it in Miami, but this is a fun roster to contemplate.
    Good freaking luck trying to guard a starting lineup of Jeff Teague, LeBron, Kyle Korver, Paul Millsap, and Al Horford. That is a ton of shooting and creativity, and if you play stretches with Pero Antic in Horford’s spot, the degree of 3-point shooting reaches scary levels. There’s enough defense among the LeBron-Millsap-Horford trio for the Hawks to survive on that end, and Mike Budenholzer would have them playing a sound system.
    The Hawks under Budenholzer and Danny Ferry are trying to build the Spurs East, only with more 3-point shooting. (Budenholzer is a shooting zealot, and was known as Matt Bonner’s strongest backer on the Spurs’ coaching staff.) They want high-IQ players who keep the machine moving, share the ball, and shoot from range. Ball-stoppers need not apply. You think LeBron fits that vision? Duh.
    Atlanta’s cap sheet is lean enough that it could ink LeBron to a big long-term deal and still have plenty of flexibility to continue building the roster around him.
    LeBron could even bike to games with Harry the Hawk.

You could make arguments for a few other cap-room teams, including Dallas and LeBron’s hometown Cavaliers, but neither team would be quite as deep as the above four — unless the Cavs do something nutty in trading the No. 1 overall pick for a veteran star. And this is all probably a pipe dream anyway, because …

Miami Heat

Miami made the Finals even though just about every rotation player beyond LeBron and Chris Bosh broke down at some point in the last two rounds. The East will be stronger next season, but it’s still the league’s weak sister. The Big Three have grown together, and LeBron has tangible evidence this group can make the Finals, provided the front office helps along the fringes.
    Its record in that regard is spotty, which is what happens when you sign old guys. Two of those old guys — Shane Battier and Chris Andersen — made huge contributions to Miami’s title teams before aging in dog years in 2014. The team’s pursuit of glittery names over unknown vigor blew up when Greg Oden and Michael Beasley proved unable to crack the rotation in meaningful games.
    Ray Allen remains a contributor, but Miami cannot overtax him if he re-signs. And if Allen does return, that eats even more into the little flexibility the Heat will have. Miami has passed up loads of younger, cheap contributors with boring names in favor of fogies and big dudes who could barely move (Erick Dampier, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Juwan Howard). Hell, this team had Patrick Beverley and waived him.
    It also had Mike Miller, and Riley attempted some Twister-level gyrations Thursday in trying to convince an audience of sentient humans that the team’s decision to ax Miller via the amnesty provision had nothing to do with Micky Arison’s desire to cut his tax payment. Riley said the team cut Miller and dealt Joel Anthony because it didn’t want their contracts on the books for the 2014-15 season.
    And that’s accurate. Miami will enter this offseason with real breathing room under the tax. But Riley also said the team didn’t have any urgent need for Miller this season because the roster featured heavy “duplication” of Miller’s skill set.
    This is the part where you call B.S. Miller was crucial in the 2013 Finals. Battier’s decline robbed Miami of a key 3-and-D player and vaporized much of the phony “duplication” that Riley referenced Thursday. Rashard Lewis emerged late in the playoffs, but defenses didn’t really guard him. Miller would have unlocked different sorts of small and hybrid lineups, and provided an alternative to Wade as he ambled around for the last half of the Finals.
    Anthony was a nonentity, but Miller’s absence hurt. Period. So did attaching what will likely become two second-round picks as the sweetener in Anthony’s salary dump. The rate of return on second-rounders is low, but it’s better than zero, and the Heat need upside assets.
    The Heat need a hit in supporting-cast free agency, and they may have to do so with a very limited tool set. But it’s a better set than they had last summer, and the franchise understands it needs to be more creative. There will be some interesting names in Miami’s price range. Darren Collison had the best 3-point shooting season of his career with the Clippers (considering shot volume), and he can thrive as an option lower down on the totem pole. He plays a position of clear need for the Heat, though he’s a bad defender who will command a large portion of the mini midlevel — if not all of it.
    Marvin Williams is a strong locker-room guy who served as a stretch power forward last season in Utah and would be a nice fit as Miami’s new Battier. He can get more money elsewhere, but Miami might have a shot at him if it offers nearly the full mini midlevel. Anthony Tolliver could work in this role on a minimum salary, and he did surprisingly well spotting time at small forward last season when injuries on the wing in Charlotte forced him there.
    Shaun Livingston is a popular name, but his complete lack of long-range shooting makes for a shaky fit alongside Wade. Xavier Henry and Wesley Johnson have useful, discrete skills, and yet probably didn’t do quite enough with the Lakers last season to nudge their fair-market salaries much higher than the minimum. Thabo Sefolosha’s shooting ability is a complete mystery at this point, which is a weird thing for a 30-year-old player.
    All three of Jordan Hamilton, Reggie Williams (remember him?), and C.J. Miles deserve a look on the wing. If Miami opts for rim protection, it might be able to get someone like Ekpe Udoh or Kris Humphries on the cheap. No one quite knows the market for those guys, especially with Humphries possibly being willing to exchange cash for happiness after banking an insane $24 million in salary over the last two seasons.
    There are other names. Veterans especially will take a discount to chase a ring in Miami. This was always the most likely scenario: bring back the stars and do a better job filling out the back of the rotation. The boring salary particulars are crucial here. The Heat will have a much tougher job if everyone comes back at their full 2014-15 salaries. Let the fun begin.

--------------------

With all the Melo/Love talk, I totally forgot that LeBron, Wade and Bosh could all become Free Agents. Should be a crazy offseason in the NBA. Hopefully the Bulls won't be too cheap and try to sign one of these playmakers.
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,535ß
    Report: Bulls pursuing trade for Arron Afflalo
    June 21, 2014, 10:45 am

[​IMG]

CSN Staff

The Chicago Bulls may be making a run for Orlando's Arron Afflalo.
    According to a report from Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski, the Bulls are pursing a deal with the Magic for the 28-year-old as they continue to search for strong shooting to partner with Derrick Rose in his return.
    [MORE: The Melo Plan: How the Bulls will sign Carmelo Anthony]
    Afflalo has two years remaining on his contract and will make $7.5 million during the upcoming season and can opt to a $7.75 million deal in the summer of 2015, per the Early Termination Option in his contract.
    How the Bulls' pursuit of Afflalo could affect a potential deal for New York's Carmelo Anthony at this point is unknown.
  7. little bear

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    Never heard of him. Any good? Or is he just another cheap excuse to not go after one of the big names?
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,535ß
    Good scorer, decent defense
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    Afflalo is a perfect fit, hope we can get him for something reasonable
  10. little bear

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/2822...-to-bring-carmelo-into-fold.html#.U6bFwrGcxAn

Bulls’ Thibodeau making push to bring Carmelo into fold

The Bulls’ push to acquire New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony is heating up heading into NBA draft week, and perhaps no one wants his services more than coach Tom Thibodeau.
    According to one of Anthony’s former coaches, Thibodeau has reached out to him and to several other coaches who have worked with Anthony with numerous calls.
    ‘‘I even told Tom that there may be days he will want to blow his own head off when it comes to Melo’s defense, but he keeps saying he knows he can make it work,’’ the coach said. ‘‘It’s not that Carmelo can’t play defense, it’s just how often. And he knows every trick in the book on getting around that.’’

That the Bulls are in full-court-press mode on Anthony comes as no surprise, considering center Joakim Noah courted him during All-Star Weekend in February and continued the recruitment throughout the second half of the season.
    And it would seem Noah isn’t alone. Point guard Derrick Rose reportedly has gotten involved, too, and Thibodeau has used back channels to let Anthony know his addition could mean big things for everyone involved.

‘‘There’s no question [the Bulls] would be better with [Anthony], with or without his defensive inconsistencies,’’ the coach said. ‘‘As I told Tom: ‘You’re in the East, Tom. Remember, you’re in the East.’ ’’
    Even without Rose (surgery on right knee) and forward Luol Deng (traded) after early January, the Bulls won 48 games during the regular season and finished with the No. 4 seed in the Eastern Conference before losing to the Washington Wizards in the first round of the playoffs.
    With the Miami Heat appearing vulnerable in their loss to the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA Finals, the Indiana Pacers in need of psychoanalysis and the Toronto Raptors’ roster uncertainty, a threesome of Anthony, Rose and Noah could challenge for the conference title next season.
    The question, though, is how does a deal for Anthony get done? Multiple media outlets have reported a sign-and-trade that includes the expiring contract of forward Carlos Boozer is the favored route, especially with the Knicks preparing for Anthony to announce Monday that he will opt out of his current deal.
    Such a scenario likely would involve the Bulls sending at least one of their first-round picks — No. 16 or No. 19 — to the Knicks, who are in rebuilding mode and need to start with a point guard.
    There are also reports the Bulls might be willing to deal another draft pick in pursuit of Orlando Magic shooting guard Arron Afflalo, which means they’re serious about pursuing a championship now.

The Bulls’ offseason aggressiveness isn’t shocking to anyone around the league. At the NBA Finals last week, several sources indicated general manager Gar Forman and vice president of basketball operations John Paxson were ‘‘looking to exhaust as many assets as it will take’’ to make the Bulls a contender.

--------------------
  11. little bear

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    Alright, then. Thibs & Forman, go get him!

Just imagine how incredible this lineup would be:

PG: Derrick Rose
    SG: Jimmy Buttler
    SF: Carmelo Anthony
    PF: Taj Gibson
    C: Joakim Noah

--------------------

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...ony-new-york-knicks-informs-team-opt-contract

Carmelo tells Knicks he'll opt out

Carmelo Anthony has informed the New York Knicks in writing that he will opt out of the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent, according to multiple sources.
    The Knicks recently expressed the hope that Anthony would not do this. Team president Phil Jackson said recently that he hoped Anthony would consider opting into the final year of his contract and testing free agency in the summer of 2015. Jackson has privately expressed that hope to Anthony several times since the end of the regular season.
    The Chicago Bulls are one of several teams with whom Anthony would consider signing, according to sources.
    According to league sources, Anthony has talked to at least one high-profile person who lives in Chicago about what it's like to be famous in the Windy City.
    The Bulls also have reportedly done their due diligence on Anthony in recent days. According to a report in the Chicago Sun-Times, Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau has reached out to some of Anthony's former coaches to inquire about the seven-time All-Star.
    In addition to the Bulls, Anthony would consider signing with the Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks, sources say. The Miami Heat have also explored its available options in trying to pursue Anthony, ESPN.com reported earlier this month.
    Anthony can sign a maximum contract worth $129 million over five years with the Knicks. He can ink a maximum deal worth $96 million over four years with another team.
    Anthony has discussed the possibility of accepting less than a maximum contract to help the team that he signs with attract additional free agents. He would likely have to take a significant pay cut to sign with the Heat.
    Jackson, the Knicks president, said late last month that he's "not losing sleep" over Anthony's free agency but is "definitely concerned" about the idea of Anthony signing elsewhere.
    The Knicks are coming off of a 37-win season and they aren't projected to have much money to offer free agents this summer. New York also doesn't currently have a pick in the 2014 draft, but has inquired about acquiring one.
    So Jackson and the Knicks are expected to try to sell Anthony on the idea that they can add a star to the roster in the summer of 2015, when they are expected to have significant cap space.
    Jackson and Anthony have met several times since the season ended. Anthony recently said his meeting with Jackson, Knicks general manager Steve Mills and head coach Derek Fisher in Los Angeles "went well."
    Anthony also endorsed Jackson's decision to hire Fisher as coach. "I like what Phil is doing," he said.
    If the Knicks fail to re-sign Anthony, they aren't projected to get much salary cap relief. With contracts for Amar'e Stoudemire ($23.4 million), Tyson Chandler ($14.6) and Andrea Bargnani ($11.5 million) on the books, the Knicks are projected to be over the salary cap with or without Anthony's salary.
    Jackson has hinted that he is prepared for the possibility that Anthony re-signs and for the potential to have to move forward without the seven-time All-Star.
    "I'm all about moving forward," Jackson said shortly after the end of the regular season. "Just deal with what is and move forward. If it's in the cards, man, are we fortunate. If it's not in the cards, man, are we fortunate. We're going forward anyway."

--------------------
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,535ß
    Hope they can clear enough space and still have money for the bench.

Healthy or not, that Rose contract is a cap killer
  13. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    its not just Rose, with Noah and Gibson we have well over half cap hit
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,535ß
    Rose by himself is about a third of it
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,535ß
    BTW check this rumor
    image.jpg
  16. little bear

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    I wouldn't do it. Love is an intriguing player for sure, but that would be too much to give up. Gibson is more important to the lineup than we think.
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,535ß
    Id say it's basically Taj for Love
  18. little bear

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    Interesting turn of events. LeBron James' agent has informed the Heat that he will exercise his early termination option and become an unrestricted free agent.

Problem is, teams with a lot of cap space will try to sign both Carmelo and LBJ. Bulls won't do it. I wonder if Carmelo and LBJ agreed to opt out so they can play together, like LBJ did in 2010 with Wade and Bosh.

Next couple of days and weeks will be very interesting.

At this point and I don't care if we get LBJ, Carmelo or Love. I just want them to win. Stay tuned.
  19. little bear

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    Josh Smith is also on the trade block. Lots of activity in the NBA right now. Twitter is going crazy.
  20. little bear

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    Rockets trade Omar Asik to clear cap space, Jeremy Lin also on the trade block. Houston pushing hard to land Carmelo and LBJ.

Go Bulls!!