2014 FIFA World Cup

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by little bear, Jun 11, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Germany isn't a sick team and wasn't considered a favorite? Fifa has them ranked #2 in the world!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ssing-recent-performances-from-top-contenders

Germany, the world’s No. 2 team according to FIFA, had perhaps the most impressive match of the tournament outside the Netherlands’ dismantling of Spain. The Germans defeated Portugal, 4-0, behind Thomas Muller’s hat-trick and a solid German defense that frustrated Cristiano Ronaldo—perhaps the best player in the world— by limiting his opportunities to create....

Germany will likely advance out of Group G, especially if they can defeat Ghana on June 21. Ghana played well in a 2-1 loss to the United States, dominating possession but failing to create enough realistic shots on goal. Expect Ghana to have a harder time holding the ball against Germany.

Although the Germans are the only team of the top contenders discussed that have yet to play two matches, they are in the best form of the trio. While that could certainly change with their match this weekend, look for Germany to continue their recent success and defeat Ghana with relative ease.

The other two teams discussed were Brazil and the Netherlands. If a top 5 WC team isn't considered sick w/a shot to win I don't know who is.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß

It's going to be tough for both teams b/c of the weather, but even w/the Portugal team down some men I think it's still going to be to much for the US, I honestly think the best they can hope for is a tie.
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,129ß
    Just realized US Boys will play tomorrow night, not tonight. Sorry.
  4. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Call me a homer, but I think USA beats Portugal with relative ease...
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    Like I said, people who know what they are talking about dont consider this Germany sick, neither do I, they were lucky to draw agains Ghana
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    a_mij, I work w/two people that play soccer, and they watch soccer year round, they KNOW soccer, and both consider Germany sick w/a shot to win. Bef

Spain was defeated by 2 lesser teams, Costa Rica over Italy was an upset, no one is talking about how Germany's tie w/Ghana is some kind of huge win for Ghanna, or a huge upset for Germany, not w/this years WC at least.

BH got flat robbed btw, that game should have ended in a 1-1 tie, dude straight beat the Nigerian goalie w/ease.
  7. Rakk

Rakk Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I know next to nothing about soccer, but does the US have any shot of getting out of group G? Will a win vs Portugal tonight give us enough points to place in the top two and advance?
  8. little bear

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,129ß
    If they beat Portugal tonight, they're qualified for the round of 16. Will be VERY hard, though.

Portugal needs to win to stay alive, so they'll do whatever it takes to win this game. Go US Boys!
  9. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Michael Bradley was nothing a liability all night; POR should have never had that last second try…bald headed pecker wood…
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    I was sitting there most the game thinking yep this is how I figured it would be. Then the US was able to tie it and I was thinking, well good for them, best case scenerio. Then the bastards had the gall to take the lead up until 95 min's and I was omg they're actually going to win this SoB! And then they decided they didn't need to keep playing....

well they got the tie which isn't horrible. I'm guessing they need to hope Ghanna wins and then hope for a tie w/Germany?
  11. little bear

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,129ß
    And again, a soccer game got screwed by the refs. Call me a sore loser if you want to, but 5 minutes of additional time were totally unnecessary. 3-4 minutes would have been just fine. US deserved to win this game, they fought like animals till the bitter end and pulled off an incredible comeback.

I'm still pissed because that draw feels like a loss to me. I don't wanna sound too pessimistic but I don't see the Yanks winning next game against Germany. And a draw seems unlikely as well.

:badmood:
  12. little bear

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,129ß
    They just need one point against Germany to qualify for the round of 16. Sounds easy, but it's really not.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Things aren’t that bad…

If we straight up beat Germany OR draw, we move on…

If we lose, and If Ghana and Portugal draw, we move on…

If we lose, and If Ghana or Portugal wins, goal differential comes into play…we have the advantage against both…Ghana is two goals down, while Portugal is down 4…we are probably better off with a Portugal win, since they have the biggest hill to climb…
  14. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Ok, let get all the negativity and pessimism out of our systems...yeah, that last second goal was like a dagger to the heart....BUT we are still very much alive and not at all in a bad position...going into the last day of pool play we are still in it...there are lots of teams, including Spain and England, that are DONE...

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, gave us chance to win a game, no less, be in a position to get out of the "pool of death"...

Still Alive in soccer is ALWAYS a GREAT day!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    I think the team is going to really struggle against Germany, really need for Port/Gahna to tie or hope for Port to play w/some pride and win a game w/2-3 goals.

The pool of death is a good point, the US wasn't expected to win a game and would have been considered a victory to get a tie(w/Gahna). So this has been a good WC; if the US doesn't win the group they face Belgium though, and you are really just first losers at that point b/c they are going to wipe the US.
  16. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Needing a win, yes...needing only to tie...things look much better...we can "park the bus" (play defensively) from the start and make it very difficult for Germany to score...

Port WILL come out swinging...they are not mathematically eliminated...however, they have to win and will need to score boatload of goals...CR7 has let to score this WC...he will be looking to do so...

Our changes are not as dire as you think....

First losers?.../shakes head and walks away....
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    I don't see anyone from this group beating Belgium, maybe Germany but they won't see them in the next round. It's not a US is bad so much as Belgium is that good.
  18. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Yes, Belgium is very good (and very young)...but that doesn't make us or anyone 1st losers.. making it out of your pool is a big deal and accomplishment...
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    for the US ya it's an accomplishment, but like in any tourney just getting there shouldn't and really isn't enough.
  20. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    I don't know if I use to think that way or not, but after following soccer for a few years now, all I can do is laugh at such comments...