2014 FIFA World Cup

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by little bear, Jun 11, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +928 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    Tim Howard having one helluva game.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    And soccer falls back into the pit from whence it came for another 4 years.
  3. little bear

Ratings:
    +928 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    I'm proud of the team. They showed a lot of heart, they didn't have as much talent but the talent will come as soccer gains popularity in America. They fought like animals, never gave up and totally earned a lot of respect. I really like what Klinsmann has done with the team and I'm sure the US will continue to be a Top 15 team in the world.

Great team effort but Belgium was the better team and totally deserved to win. Tim Howard was this game's MVP for sure.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,640 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Soccer may gain some popularity, but it will NEVER have the one thing it desperately needs to even approach that of the NFL, MLB, NBA.

Commercials.

It will need television exposure beyond what it gets now to become a "major" sport. Not sure it will be able to do that with 45 x2 straight minutes of running up and down a field without break.
  5. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,640 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  6. little bear

Ratings:
    +928 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    FWIW :woot:

Paul Carr @PCarrESPN Follow
    Tim Howard made 16 saves, most by any keeper in a #WorldCup game in the last 50 years. #USA
    12:36 AM - 2 Jul 2014

WhoScored.com @WhoScored Follow
    Tim Howard: Is just the second player in World Cup 2014 to receive a perfect 10 rating in a match; the other being Oscar (vs Croatia) #usa
    1:01 AM - 2 Jul 2014

Don Garber @thesoccerdon Follow
    @TimHowardGK is not just a terrific record setting keeper, he's pure class. Humble and courageous. Heart breaks for #USMNT
    12:51 AM - 2 Jul 2014

Even Belgium's captain Vincent Kompany offered words of respect:

Vincent Kompany @VincentKompany Follow
    Two words.. TIM HOWARD #Respect #BelUSA
    1:11 AM - 2 Jul 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. little bear

Ratings:
    +928 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    Back in April, Howard told ESPNFC.com that he will retire after his current contract with Everton ends following the 2017-18 campaign. It's unclear if that means he'll play in the 2018 World Cup, which would begin just a few months following the conclusion of that season.
  8. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    The game is one big commercial...I wonder if sponsors would rather have their products/services in their consumers face during the game or spend money on traditional commercials many/most use as a piss break...

I am personally a walking billboard for Samsung...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Damn, does that mean we will no longer be blessed with your thoughtful insights into the beautiful game, like flopping bad, Belgium good?
  10. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Howard would be 39 by the 2018 World Cup...that's pretty old even by goalie standards...I am afraid Howard has played he's last world cup game...
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    better then the non insights of your nbc loves soccer see it's catching on b/c a single stations ratings are up 10000% of the 0 people watching it had before.
    Soccer, much like the olympics is boring as FUCK for 70min's. Much like the NBA, save yourself some time and turn it on in the 4th qtr when it gets good.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    anyone else think of DavidL when they read this?
    • Like Like x 2
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Considering that the US made it out of the group of death; a group they weren't expected to get a tie in? Ya there is a lot to be proud of. But Belgium is a younger, better team all around. Right now the US is still in the Danica Patrick phase of it's lifecycle, it can finish, maybe win a few low level comp's, but it's miles away from winning the big one.
  14. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    One more turd presented as a shiny nugget...
  15. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Well, at least you stopped pretending to be an objective observer...if you find it boring as fuck, don't watch it...and in not watching it, stop acting like you have an intelligent clue what the fuck your talking about...

I don't watch the NBA; I find it boring as fuck...however, I don't go around spouting off ignorant opinions on the subject like I am god's gift to basketball...
  16. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    583ß
    /argument
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    wc is worth watching just like the Olympics, just not any of the other 3yrs. But i don't spout off ignorance like diving is now catching on in the us b/c people tune in every 4yrs to watch it. I've never not been biased, nor portrayed it, but I do listen to what people I know that have watched/played for years have to say, and it's hard not to listen to sports radio 8hrs a day and not hear something about the WC, so I've got a few ideas....and honestly you watch 2-3 games and it's not that complex a sport, it's hardly football or basketball; it's barely hockey when it comes to strategy.

Keep pretending that the refs aren't a problem and flopping is a akin to cycling's doping issue. It's cute seeing your ass in the air and your head buried in the sand. Meanwhile Camaroon is looking at suing fifa b/c of how this WC was officiated and potential bribery of players and ref's. The Mexico games had the refs doing everything in their power to screw them literally had 6 legit goals taken away from them. Hell I haven't even bothered to mention the complete analying Fifa did w/the Qatar WC, which won't happen know that it was proven the board took close to 5mil a pop to vote the games there , more power to the US(who was told to be ready they might get it), or Russia. This wc has done more damage fifa and WC soccer on the world stage then to help it. But lets keep pretending that from here on out soccers on the way up in the US! Even though everything points to a sharp decline next year. cheer buckaroo enjoy that 6am premere league snore fest.

You're like a reborn christian that just found their faith, everything is peachy keen w/soccer in your world, hurray fucking for you. Reality is my "ignorance" is pretty dead fucking acurate, I called most of the first round games regarding teams that matter, and gave the US no chance against Belgium, but what do I know right? All I've done is spout real #'s, not imaginary %'s, but what does research and real #'s have to do w/anything right?
  18. Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Where to begin…

First, once again you sound like a complete ignoramus by declaring yourself an expert on a sport you have barely watched a half dozen times…it’s a disappointing stance from someone who generally seems smart and intelligent, even if in jest…and I truly hope it is in jest…

Second, Fifa is a corrupt, POS organization and I am not going defend it nor praise it on any level…

Third, I have never said soccer was prefect nor without its issues or problems…I have simply stated that all sports have their issues and problems, and that in my opinion, based on watching 100s of games over several years, those problems and issues are not bad as someone who barely has to use two hands to count the number of games he has watched, claims them to be…

Fourth, I have never discounted your numbers regarding MLS ratings, I merely countered with numbers of my own…declaring your numbers “real” and mine “imaginary,” once again, makes you sound like a ignorant boob…There is lots of evidence that points to the continued and growing popularity of soccer in US…whether you choose to see it or accept it, I really don’t care…

Fifth, I will enjoy my EPL, thank you very much (44 days and counting)…as I will the Champions League, the FA Cup and the Euros in two years…I will also enjoy watching, in person, Liverpool play Olympiacos in Soldier Field in a few weeks, as well as watching ManU take on Real Madrid at the Big House, in all likelihood setting an attendance record in the process…although I am sure that record and any associated TV ratings will be imaginary
  19. little bear

Ratings:
    +928 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    hey look the guy that doesn't know anything about soccer, but said that Germany was/is a beast is about to hit the finals.....but what do I know about WC soccer.....tell me again how they were long shots? A_mil, not very good huh? I would have had money on Belgium, but I'm not overly surprised that the way Argentina was playing they somehow beat them; not to mention the US wore out Belgium