2014 Free Agents -- Defensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Oct 8, 2013.

1. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +416 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    148ß
    I'd think Kromer is going with Boggs as our center of the future. No need to draft a center. Use that pick on a QB.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,628 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    Barring something horrible happening, Jay is our current and future QB. We're gonna be strapped for cash next year, and even if the defensive line starts playing lights out, they're going to rebuild the line through the draft. I'm willing to bet that Shea either ends up moving to LB, if he continues to have the struggles he's having as a lineman, or he's flat out gone. We still need another safety, and defensive tackle, so I wouldn't be too surprised at a defense heavy draft.
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    Why are you ruling out free agents? Draft defensive players, but keep an eye on free agents. Trading or cutting some of these guys with $$$ contracts will create enough cap room to compete for a quality FA pass rusher. How did we get Peppers? If we don't find a way to significantly upgrade the pass rush in the off-season and get a safety, we are going to have the same problems next year.

Unless the Bears tank, we are not going to get a blue-chip DE in the draft -- they will be long gone, and we'll be drafting another prospect like my adopted-Bear.
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,628 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    Quality pass rushers tend to be very expensive. Look at Mario Williams' contract. He's good, but not worth that amount, and I doubt any player of his caliber that would become a FA would make much less than what he is.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,288 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,717ß
    Why do you say that?
  6. DavidL

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    Sure they are expensive-- because they are VALUABLE!!!
    Umenyiora got a $2.5 million signing bonus and his 2013 base salary will be a guaranteed $1.75 million. He also has a $750,000 roster bonus.
    In 2014, Umenyiora’s base salary rises to $2.5 million and he has a $1 million roster bonus. His 2014 cap figure will be $4.75 million, but that could rise if Umenyiora meets an unspecified escalator clause.

Bears can free up enough cap room to offer a contract like this. Of course, you have to get value for your money, but a quality pass rusher would be my #1 priority.
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß

thanks for the list, David. Definitely (and unfortunately) a relevant topic right now. I don't know about Allen. He is going to want big-time $$$$$$. Isn't he beginning to get up there in age?!
  8. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß

I support this draft plan!
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    +100000000. BEEFING up our DL is a MUST this off-season. Gimme gimme gimme a couple of guys who can get after the QB and I will be happy!
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,628 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    I'd still rather go the draft route. This line needs new blood. I wouldn't mind a couple of decently priced veterans for a rotational use.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DavidL

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    I am drafting AND looking for FA. But considering where we are in draft order, it more likely to get a high-quality pass rusher via FA than draft IMO.
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,628 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    IDK about that. I mean, I understand that top quality free agents are a proven commodity, but I don't think Chicago's dropping big money on a defensive player in the offseason. Henry Melton was the only one that would've made sense, but due to his injury, he's NOT getting the pay day he wanted, I'm sure. I think drafting DE and DT in 2 of the first 3 rounds is a MUST.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    Ya but if you don't have the cap then you don't have the ability to get those of value. Again the team has a ton of potential cap space, but Cutler is going to take a huge chunk of that, and Jennings at minimal will get another big portion. Not to mention a handfull of the slew of other FA's the team has that needs to resign just to field a team.

I'd be all in on the top DT in FA, it just is not likely to happen if Cutler gets resigned along w/the other necessary resigns from Chicago. The team is going to have to take the 2nd or 3rd tier DT/DE guys and draft for those positions.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DavidL

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    As much as I want to resign Cutler, I would not let him break the bank. Offer him fair market value + incentive bonuses. His package should be closer to $60 million than $100 million. and if he thinks he's worth more, let him test the market. Reality check. He is not in the same league as Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady, His peers are guys like Rivers and Ryan, and Bears should pay accordingly. That will conserve some cap space. Cut Peppers, Hester, McClellin to get more. Get all the dead weight off the roster, and we'll have enough cap to compete on the FA market.

I would trade Jennings or anybody else to get a high-quality pass rusher either via draft or FA. The difference between us is that I put higher priority on getting upgrades at DE.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    fair market value is breaking the bank at 50-80 mil a year; and I bet b/c of the Romo/Flacco deal it's going to be closer to 80 mil.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    If he continues to prove he can protect the football, and make better decisions (and this has to be proven over the entire season), and Trestman feels Jay is the guy he wants as he moves forward building a Super Bowl winning team in Chicago - then Jay is a $90 to $100 mil contract guy. That's just my gut feeling. I think one of the post game guys last night threw out the $100-mil figure (Michael Irvin I think was the one).

I'm not saying he is (or isn't) worth this much money. I'm just saying the Bears gambled on not floating a contract out, to sign Jay on the cheap. Now they will have to pay more money, if (big if here) Jay puts together a season's "body of work" that fulfills that first paragraph above.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,628 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß

Uh, no. You really think bringing in an unproven QB is worth helping the rebuilding of our defense? No a thousand times to your logic here.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DavidL

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    Well, $60 million only breaks the bank if you insist on keeping a bunch of other high-priced contracts guys on the roster who are not pulling the weight of their contracts this season -- Peppers, Hester, McClellin for example. I'm also willing to trade some of our other high-cost guys like Jennings, Tillman, Melton to get a high-quality DE via trade or move up in the draft to get one or just generate more cap for FA to get one. All three could work -- whatever it takes. It can be done, but you have to make the moves.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,666 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,845ß
    cannot trae jennings tillman melton b/c they are in the last year of their deals, melton was FTd and on IR so you cannot trade him. So those are no goes.

you aren't getting cutler at 60mil, not happening, I said 50, but it's just not happening, it's nothing more then what I think he's worth, but teams like Jax, Minny, Ariz, Clev would pay well more then 50 for him, and Chicago is going to get that, 80 mil is a min contract for Cutler and he'll probably get more.

11 guys need resigned, here are the ones that are legitimately going to get a shot, imo in order:
    Cutler
    Jennings
    Gould
    Melton
    Slauson
    Tillman
    JaAnderson
    DJWill

I might be missing someone, that could be looked at as a "need" signing.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DavidL

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    That's not what I want, either. I suffered for 50 years of crap QB play before Cutler. I have BEEN there longer than most guys on this board have been alive.

But if you give him $100 million then -- for the rest of his career -- we will struggle with cap to afford to fill other needs. We have a good offense, and if we could build a grade-A defense, we could get to Superbowl with a veteran QB like the Farve did going the Vikings. I don't WANT to go that route to the Superbowl, but I'll take it if some desperate owner in Jacksonville or someplace offers him $100 million.