2014 Free Agents -- Defensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Oct 8, 2013.

1. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    542ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I'd think Kromer is going with Boggs as our center of the future. No need to draft a center. Use that pick on a QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    Barring something horrible happening, Jay is our current and future QB. We're gonna be strapped for cash next year, and even if the defensive line starts playing lights out, they're going to rebuild the line through the draft. I'm willing to bet that Shea either ends up moving to LB, if he continues to have the struggles he's having as a lineman, or he's flat out gone. We still need another safety, and defensive tackle, so I wouldn't be too surprised at a defense heavy draft.

3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,790ß
    Why are you ruling out free agents? Draft defensive players, but keep an eye on free agents. Trading or cutting some of these guys with $$$ contracts will create enough cap room to compete for a quality FA pass rusher. How did we get Peppers? If we don't find a way to significantly upgrade the pass rush in the off-season and get a safety, we are going to have the same problems next year.

Unless the Bears tank, we are not going to get a blue-chip DE in the draft -- they will be long gone, and we'll be drafting another prospect like my adopted-Bear.

4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    Quality pass rushers tend to be very expensive. Look at Mario Williams' contract. He's good, but not worth that amount, and I doubt any player of his caliber that would become a FA would make much less than what he is.

5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,730ß
    Why do you say that?

6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,790ß
    Sure they are expensive-- because they are VALUABLE!!!
    Umenyiora got a $2.5 million signing bonus and his 2013 base salary will be a guaranteed $1.75 million. He also has a $750,000 roster bonus.
    In 2014, Umenyiora’s base salary rises to $2.5 million and he has a $1 million roster bonus. His 2014 cap figure will be $4.75 million, but that could rise if Umenyiora meets an unspecified escalator clause.

Bears can free up enough cap room to offer a contract like this. Of course, you have to get value for your money, but a quality pass rusher would be my #1 priority.

7. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß

thanks for the list, David. Definitely (and unfortunately) a relevant topic right now. I don't know about Allen. He is going to want big-time $$$$$$. Isn't he beginning to get up there in age?!

8. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß

I support this draft plan!

9. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    +100000000. BEEFING up our DL is a MUST this off-season. Gimme gimme gimme a couple of guys who can get after the QB and I will be happy!

10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    I'd still rather go the draft route. This line needs new blood. I wouldn't mind a couple of decently priced veterans for a rotational use.

• Like Like x 1