2014 Free Agents -- Defensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Oct 8, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    Unless a guy has "no trade" stipulation in his contract, he can be traded for other players or draft picks. I haven't read their contracts, but I doubt any of them have a no-trade contract.

You can fill a lot of spots on your roster with $80-$100 million. A general manager (football or any other business) gets the most value for the dollar by paying every employee at or close to fair market value. I'd go a little over for Cutler, but not much.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,515 / 0 / -0
    That's my thought too. We may get a tiny bit of a "home town discount" if Jay isn't going purely for money alone - if he sees Chicago as a near-perfect match for his needs:

1. Great supporting cast (Brandon Marshall, Jeffery, TE Bennett, Forte, & a decent offensive line)

2. A head coach who is offense-oriented & someone he is comfortable with (no more lunatic dysfunctional OC's calling the plays)

3. Jay has been a life-long Bears fan. Even as a kid he was a Bears fan (he's said this anyway). He's a Midwestern guy with family from Indiana.

4. He knows that if he stays in Chicago, he's going to a Super Bowl, sooner rather than later. Another team may not be in position to do this.

5. He's had experience in "Quarterback Hell" so he knows how to truly value the sweet setup he now has in Chicago.

But all that being said, there is no way in the world Jay signs for a $50-mil contract. He will get at least the $80-mil, and maybe closer to that $90-100 mil range. It's just the cost of doing business in the NFL today.
  3. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    Casey Hampton is old but he is a run stuffer that we simply do not have on the roster. We have been beat up in the run game this year.

Big Toe knows the system and could help in run support also.

I simply do not think that we will find a 3 tech tackle worth bringing in, but I do think we can get better in run support through FA Vets.

I am talking about this year, as a stop gap before we get to the draft and off season FA.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    i didn't say they couldn't be traded b/c of contract, NO OTHER TEAM is going to trade for a guy in the last year of said contract. Why would they? How many teams do you see trading players in the NFL mid season, this isn't baseball? It's a rare case b/c the systems are so varied that the guy, no matter how good, is going to be behind the 8 ball just in terminology, let alone actual scheme.
  5. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    And I didn't say anything about trading guys mid-season. Any such trade would be off-season.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    David, no team is going to trade for a player that is about to hit the open market in free agency. The current team either signs him back or lets him walk. It's very rare for a player to be signed and immediately traded.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    what team in their right minds would trade for a guy about to hit the open market? They'd trade whatever and then HOPE the guy was going to sign, you cannot do a sign and trade in the NFL w/out the team taking a huge cap hit.
  8. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    Not true. Romo and Flacco are outliers. There are better QBs than them not making near $90-100 million. That's not to say some owner won't offer Cutler $100 million, but I seriously doubt it, and he'd need to prove it. Even so, on balance, he's not worth it IMO. You have to consider the alternatives.
  9. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    That's not true, either. For example, the Cardinals traded Javier Arenas in 2012. 2013 is the last year of his contract.

We could trade any of these guys for draft picks to generate cap space to get a high-quality FA pass rusher.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    They are not outliers, they are the latest to get contracts, the ones making a lot less were in previous contracts or are not considered elite. Please don't bring up Brady restructing to move down, THAT is an outlier.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,515 / 0 / -0
    We may get a "home town discount" in the $80-90 mil range. If Jay puts together a full "body of work" this season that is solid, then he will have a market value in the $90-100 mil range. That doesn't mean he will jump ship for one of those offers. But that will be his value. He's top-5 in passing yards now, and making great decisions with the ball. If he ends up the season as one of the top QB's in the NFL, then don't kid yourself, a team will offer him a sweet deal. There are teams that would kill for a QB with Jay's skill-set, canon-arm -- if he NOW becomes a smart QB too. One who protects the ball.
  12. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    We'll see.

I don't need to use Brady. Luck and Locker are as good or better than Romo and Flacco with recent contracts way under $100 million.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    Luck and Locker are in their ROOKIE contracts. Not "proven vet" deals. Apples and oranges there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    both are in their rookie contract, that is not an apples to apples comparrison unless you plan on letting JC walk for a rookie qb to play next year; I'm hardly a cutler backer and even I don't want to see that happen.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    I sure don't want to do that,either. But do you want be watching your $100 million QB next year while the Bears are losing because we still have no pass rush?

Give me two high-quality pass rushers and a good safety to replace Conte, and I'll take my chances with a new QB and pick up Schaub as back-up. Don't let Cutler break the bank with so many holes to fill on defense. Cutler has to prove himself in playoffs before I'd pay him top dollar.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,515 / 0 / -0
    David, I definitely understand your point. It may or may not be a good move for the Bears to spend that kind of money on Cutler. My point is not whether or not he is worth that amount of money to the Bears. I'm just saying his market value is going to be in that range if he finishes this season as one of the top QB's in the NFL. That's a big "if" but certainly he looks like he has a shot at pulling it off this year. He's already top-5 in the NFL this year in yards passing. If he cleans up his turnover woes, and makes decisions like he did against New York, then he may end up with top-5 or at least a top-10, in most all the QB categories.
  17. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    Consider this...

"The latest move by the Bears provides only temporary relief. With the restructured deal, Peppers’ cap numbers over the final two years of his contract rise. In 2014, Peppers’ cap number grows from $17.183 million to $18.183 million. In 2015, Peppers’ cap number grows to $20.683 million."

Now,correct me if I am wrong, if we cut Peppers, then all that money counts against the cap in 2014. How then can we afford a $100 million contract for Cutler? Let's say Cutler's cap hit is $15M. Doing these two things takes up a huge chunk of the cap.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,515 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind that Cutler makes well over $7-mil a year now. So it's not ALL new money. But I get your point. It'll be a boatload MORE money. The way Pep is playing now, there's no way he's on our roster next year, no matter what the cap hit. He's toast. To be honest, I really don't understand the cap consequences of this. But why keep a guy who can no longer play?
  19. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    We have 23 guys in last year of their contracts. They might restructure Pep's contract one more time rather than cut him to just avoid this $45M cap bomb hitting the same year Cutler gets his extension and we have 22 other players going UFA. We are going to see a whole lot of new faces in Bears uniforms!
  20. Styx

Styx

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cutler signs for 75 mil,Peppers takes a salary reduction,Melton signs cheap.We draft a DE and sign a fat a$$ DT in free agency. ( My hopes for next year )