2014 Free Agents -- Defensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Oct 8, 2013.

1. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Would you want to spend $100 million dollars on Dline next year while the Bears are losing because we have no offense?

In the last many years Bears have had an elite defense with a very very weak offense that hasn't take us to a SB yet.. Right now offense shines and is the way to win.
    You need to find a fine balance and just as Emery went heavy offense this year next year will be heavy defense.

We HAVE to sign Cutler next year, especially because Cutler is playing the best football he ever has done in Chicago under a whole new coaching staff and offensive line. Give this line and coaching staff a year or two more and we should have a top 7 offense each year. If we let Cutler go it's rebuilding for sure, and since we don't have a first round pick we either have to trade us up which will cost a lot, or take a chance with a lower draft pick and hope to get Wilson/Brady and I'm not ready for us to take that chance..
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +475 / 2 / -3
    I will accept your position if we take a long-run perspective. Let Cutler break the bank with a huge 6-yr. deal and accept that means we can't get a quality DE in draft next year via draft or FA. I know some mock drafts have the Bears getting the kid at N.D. who can play either DE or tackle,but I'll believe it when I see it. So, realistically speaking, that means we will not have any quality pass rushers next season. And that means another middle-of-the-pack finish. Now comes the long-term perspective: Cutler is young enough that we could be a Superbowl contender if -- anytime in the next 3-4 years-- we can rebuild the defense to the level it was the last few years with Urlacher&Co. I think that is a plausible scenario. I guess if every good team has a $100+ million QB, then we will just have salary cap parity in the NFL on a new level. I'm trying to get my head adjusted to this, so that I can feel calm and patient next year as we lose games b/c still no pass rush.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,540 / 0 / -0
    I definitely understand where you're coming from here. We're kind of "between a rock and a hard place" because of the mess Jerry Angelo left us in personnel/cash-wise.

The DL obviously needs a MAJOR overhaul, similar to what Emery did with the OL this past year.

Yet, the QB issue is looming huge too.

Cutler needs to prove, over the course of the entire season, that he deserves a fat contract. I figure he's looking much improved, but let's see his entire "body of work" this season before we "crown him" and pay him.

If we don't pay him, we need a viable QB option. If all we want is a "cheap guy" here, heck, bring a Kyle Orton type guy back, and be content with being a bottom-feeder in the NFC-N. But if we truly want to win a Super Bowl, and Jay is deemed NOT to be "The Guy" then we will need a viable option to Jay. That isn't going to be easy.

Emery has his work cut out for him. The next year or so is going to test his expertise to the limit.
  4. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +475 / 2 / -3
    Let's not forget that two Superbowl contenders -- Seahawks and 49ers -- have good QB's who were not taken high in the draft, and since they have cheap contracts, it leaves cap space to fill the roster with good players. I am not saying Bears should go that route, but it's not necessarily true that we will become a bottom feeder if Cutler goes. It just puts us on a different model and track that would enable us to rebuild the defense faster.

I hope we do get to the playoffs this year to see whether "bad Jay" shows up again under pressure. If he does, other teams might not be so eager to offer him the $100M contract. I believe that neither you nor I are at this time in the "resign Cutler at all costs" camp like some folks around here.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz

Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    The Ravens paid Flacco the big contract because they had to (he gambled by not taking an extension before the SB win and won).
    BUT it hurt them because they were not able to keep Boldin (and he did not even want a raise, just the same as last year). Now Joe does not have a go to receiver because Pita is injured and Boldin gone so Joe is struggling.

This coming year for the Bears is going to suck and we could very well be rebuilding next year. I say let it be the defense that we try to rebuild through the draft.

For the first time since he came here, I sure wish we did not have Peppers :( , he is killing us.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +862 / 1 / -0
    As long as he avoids any more Detroit-meltdowns, Cutler is going to get a fat deal this spring. That's my best guess based on the improvements I am seeing in him (which I expect will continue as Trestman has more time to drill them thru his stubborn head). Yes, it will be a major cap hit, something like $15-18m/yr. But, considering that Cut already makes about $9m and Peppers' $10 mil hit (net after dead cap) will be gone, it really isnt that huge of a change.

Melton will either be gone or back at a much reduced "prove it" rate.
    I have a feeling Jennings will be allowed to walk in FA and we will start a 2nd round draft pick at CB opposite Peanut.
    Why we are paying Bush $3m for duties so limited that a decent udfa power back couldnt handle them is beyond me. Release him if you arent going to use him more.
    Hester and his $2m will be gone.
    EBennett quite possibly too.

Cutler isnt going to get Flacco-money because we arent going to the SB this year. I don't see the cap situation going forward as all that dire.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +779 / 2 / -0
    The truth of the matter is that right now we are in a position where we are in need of more than one high priced piece of talent. Good DTs, DE's, QBs, and CB's are not cheap and we are in the unenviable position of needing them all at once. There is going to have to be some high end juggling and executive neddle threading going on as well as some of the best industry scouting needed to pull this off. If we can get some top level talent that is below the radar, that will go a long way.

I really feel that this next off season will be pivotal. It is now apparent that Emery had envisioned a total talent evaluation, purge and rebuild with his one year contracts. What I don't think he envisioned what a need for a total regutting of the DL. It is going to be a tightrope act. Every time I think we have maybe one more year in the rebuild, my timeline gets longer. I still don't see the time where we can take BPA yet. We still need too much... And yet we have come so far. JA and the sideline sleeping Lovie had us in a worse position than I thought we were in.
    It takes a big broom to clear out all the mediocrity.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,540 / 0 / -0
    I agree with all of that. That's pretty much how I see it too. But that last sentence is especially true. We saw a big wave of personnel change this past season. I believe we will see at least that much MORE change in the off-season. Age, cap issues, contracts ending, players who can't play very well, etc etc etc, will dictate a high level of change. Wait until we see the final roster going into next year's regular season. It will be a VERY different set of players. The guys from the Angelo/Lovie era will pretty much be gone. I think Emery will ultimately be doing what he did with our offensive line & LB corps - in other areas of the team. I hope we continue to get younger too.

In fact, it could very well be 2015 before we see the final result of the Emery/Trestman rebuilding of the Chicago Bears.
  9. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +392 / 0 / -0
    I agree, and have been saying it will take 3-4 years to reload our talent level. I consider this year1 because i blame jerry a for lasgt year's draft. This year o, next year d, then depth the year after. Then in year 4 we can start really developing the team and building for the future.
  10. bearsfan247

bearsfan247

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'd just like to point out that the Bears will have roughly $50 million in cap space when the 2014 offseason begins, the 2nd most in the league. That isn't counting the release of Peppers (which I'm sure will happen) and the possibly extension to Marshall, that would ultimately increase that cap number.

Extending Cutler for say, $80ish million takes some of that, but still gives the Bears plenty of wiggle room to sign a guy like Greg Hardy of the Panthers or maybe even Michael Johnson of the Bengals. They'd also have room to make other moves to upgrade the defense.

Now, I don't see Emery going on an insane spending spree, but I do see him addressing needs and with money to spend, this could be an exciting offseason for us fans. Just look at what Emery and Cliff Stein were able to do this past offseason with very little wiggle room. Did anyone expect them to go out and sign Martellus Bennett or Bushrod?? I didn't...I definately didn't see them being as aggressive as they were either.

I mentioned his name above, but our contract man Cliff Stein is an absolute genius!
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    We are going to have to re-sign Cutler and several other guys BUT I do think we should get a vet DL man or two for depth purposes kind of like what we did with Anderson and Williams. Yes we still need to draft a DT AND DE.
  12. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH

Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    Cutler, Marshall, 2 starting CBs + 1 at least rotational DE if Peppers is released.

Not as much Cap Space as you think... maybe if we switch to a 3-4, it will be easier.

Briggs and Bostic inside, Shea and ?? ouside LBs
    Would still need a big DT
    • Like Like x 1