2014 NFL Rule Changes (video, made some Cliff notes)

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by Jimmors, Jul 30, 2014 at 7:34 PM.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,021 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    Windows video
    Mac/Mobile video

-Zero tolerance for Unsportsmanlike conduct (Particularly Verbal Abuse)

-Prohibition against Offensive blockers rolling up back of the legs of a defender has been extended to the sides. (Clipping). Still legal to Cut a defender from the front.

-If the QB is sacked with around 2min left, the clock will still run, as opposed to current system, where Ref stopped clock until ball is reset.

-Recovery of a loose ball in the field of play will be reviewable. (Fumbles, backward Passes, kicks)

-For HoF Game and first two weeks of Preseason, XP attempts will be spotted at the 15YL as an experiment (so dont freak out if it goes bad...it will not apply during 2014 Regular season). 2-point attempt remains at 2YL.

-Again, zero tolerance for verbal abuse, including racial slurs and comments about sexual orientation. Flagged as "Unsportsmanlike Conduct," 15Y penalty.

-Hands to the face rule is being tweaked, this year reads "If direct and forcible contact is made to the head, neck or face" then they will be flagged for illegal use of the hands, 5Y penalty. Expect more of these calls this year, will apply to both sides of the ball.

-Grabbing the Jersey prior to the pass will be flagged as Defensive Holding 5Y Penalty, regardless if it impeded or restricted the receiver.

-Officials are going to be paying more attention to receivers pushing off defenders at the top of the route, will be flagged for Offensive PI 10Y penalty.

-OL creating sudden movement (False Starts) before the snap will be called, regardless if there is a reaction from the Defense. (Signaling is allowed, but movements must be "smooth and deliberate)

-All players (with the exception of K and Ps) are required to wear Thigh pads and Knee Pads.

-Defense is also protected from head hits, if they are hit from behind by the head or crown, player will be flagged for Unnecessary Roughness, 15Y penalty.

Watch the videos for examples of all the rules, including instances that are both legal and illegal
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +802 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    Are they going to make bigger pants? I know some linemen can't fit them into their pants.
    So a ref is being a douche bag, you can't even try to get him to second guess his douche bag calls?

Having the ability to challenge ALL calls, would remove the need to be verbal abusive. However, there are too many damn rules limiting what you can challenge.

I didn't know that it stopped..... I remember seeing the QB rush to the line after being sacked.

I understand certain verbage, but come one man. Now you have to be very professional? So you can't get too physical, now you can't be verbal. I understand there are some things that get out of control, but has this been an issue in the past?
  3. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,021 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    Yeah, racial and homophobic comments have been used plenty by NFL players, and the gist from the video is that they are going to be cracking down on it. They can still argue about calls, but there is no reason for them to call other players "faggots" or worse.
  4. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,021 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    It was actually in the rules for last year as well:

[​IMG]
  5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +969 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    I assume that some of these also come with automatic first downs (thinking defensive holding - 5yds and a first down).
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +448 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    I see this one having the most trouble so as to what is considered "smooth and deliberate."

They also stated pushing off by receivers going to be watch closer by officials at end of routes.
    Looks like the flop is going to be important move by the CB with this rule for selling the call to the officials. Especially if get CB that's a veteran to a rookie receiver because the veteran CB will get benefit of this call. My call this year more flopping in football by CBs.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,473 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    725ß
    Thanks Jimmors. Quite a few changes and some of them fairly substantial if they actually call them. Marshall and Jeffery are gonna have to a little more cautious with their hands this year.
  8. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +802 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    Hmm... Yeah I missed a lot of last year.
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +802 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß

I agree some of those comments are out of bounds. What I'm afraid of is them throwing a flag on just name calling that they think is over the line.

So if you call someone a "delicate flower", is that a penalty? I know it sounds innocent, but throw in some "fuck" words and it changes.

I just don't want that turning into a slippery slope.
  10. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,021 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    The video has examples. Like the center reaching up with his other hand to point at a defender, that is legal. An OL that suddenly moves his leg though, thats false start.
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +448 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    That has always been a false start once you been set.
  12. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,021 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    Some of the rule tweaks are minor. I believe this one has to do with "whether or not the defense reacts" to it. Im not sure if that has been in the rules, but could be the new ruling.