2014 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jan 15, 2014.

1. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +405 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    336ß
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,730 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    786ß
    From my understanding, converting (already guaranteed) annual salary money into signing bonus changes nothing except for the cap accounting. It doesn't change the total number of guaranteed dollars and it doesn't change the duration in years those dollars are physically paid out.

3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +405 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    336ß
    at the very end of this bleacher article u will find different opinion or should i say understanding

4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,730 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    786ß
    I just read the article, thanks, but I didn't see anything there that changes my position. Yes, I saw the one line late in the article you mentioned. The author (this is the BR here after all) seems to be confusing dead cap accounting costs with actual number of dollars guaranteed to be paid. The former would extend beyond three years if/when there's a signing bonus conversion, the latter would not change. The BR author cited nothing specific in making his (false or at least poorly worded) statement IMHO.

No one has yet demonstrated or proved to me how converting already-guaranteed salary money into signing bonus(es) would somehow extend the length of time guaranteed money is paid or somehow change the total amount.

5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +391 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    186ß
    I think the confusion is exactly like you stated, it only effects the cap situation.

I think most people look at it like this, if you convert the Salary to Bonus then after 3 years it hurts the team if you decide to cut Cutler.

However, if you do not convert it Cutler can be cut after 3 years without a single penny being wasted (cap or real).

6. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 2 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,477ß
    People (myself included) can want Peanut back all day long, but unless he takes a large hometown discount, he's going to chew up too much cap space. We have a lot of rebuilding to do on the defense, and it's best to cut our losses now and try to bring in a younger guy who can be just as servicable for the next few years. Time to cut Peppers, Hester (unless he takes kick returner money), let Tillman go, and Melton, unless he takes the same hometown discount. I don't want to risk money on a potential second Tommie Harris. He had the exact same injury and never came back to form. Can't risk big money on that. I like the re-signs they have done already, and Wooten would be a good servicable re-sign, as would Williams.

7. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +391 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    186ß
    Even though Anderson is 30 it could be argued that he was the best player we had on Defense. They need some LBs till they can find a replacement or until Bostic develops.

8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 2 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,477ß
    And yet the Bears lost the final game of the season because Anderson did the dumbest thing a NFL player could do.

9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,730 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    786ß
    Yes, it seemed pretty clear to me that the BR author didn't know squat about his subject matter. He even got the amortization period wrong (it's 5 years max, not 7). It's amazing how a "sports reporter" could be so ill-informed before writing a column.

Most big contracts (Peppers for example) end up having some dead cap cost associated with them at the end when the player is finally released. Ideally you'd like to keep that minimal but its the price you pay to lessen up-front cap costs which otherwise might be huge. Every team does it.

I forgot to mention earlier that Podlesh's job hangs by a thread and replacing him (which shouldn't be that hard) adds another million or so to cap space and the option of extending Marshall could free up millions more. It's not like Marshall isn't going to be re-signed anyway (unless he has a major injury) so this is a very realistic option. So, there are ways for the Bears to add needed cap dollars for 2014 if they want too and the sky isn't falling FA-wise.