2015 Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Blackhawks Forum' started by Jimmors, Apr 15, 2015 at 5:58 PM.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,257ß
    Ratings:
    +5,431 / 9 / -7
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    And to start it off, here is a cool mashup of the playoff teams:

tumblr_nmug7hTCCg1szdb1do1_1280.jpg

2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,257ß
    Ratings:
    +5,431 / 9 / -7
    Hawks win!!! 4-3, 2OT. Went down 0-3 in the 1st and bounced back.

3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,492ß
    Ratings:
    +2,049 / 3 / -6
    Unbelievable. I don't know what the hell Crawford was doing but it wasn't his night. Huge saves by Darling, very happy for him.

Go Hawks!! :headbang:

4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,987ß
    Ratings:
    +2,835 / 7 / -9
    Second goal is on Crow. Stay the hell in net.

The other two... The D needs to play for him like they do for Darling. Always seem to play harder for him. My thought is because they know he needs more help in front of the net than Crow does

5. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,137ß
    Ratings:
    +1,246 / 1 / -2
    Well, after last night and Crawford giving up 6 goals, I think we need to see Darling.

After the 3rd goal you can see the frustration on the players. I don't remember which player it was but he slammed his stick down showing his frustration.

This is the playoffs, some goals are amazing, but we also need amazing goal tending.

Crawford will cost us the playoffs if he continues to give up 8 goals in 46 shots (can't remember the exact shots on goal).

6. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    Ratings:
    +1,041 / 0 / -0
    We don't have anybody on the team that looks like the guy in the drawing. We need a couple guys like that.

7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,492ß
    Ratings:
    +2,049 / 3 / -6
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...lackhawks-haugh-spt-0420-20150419-column.html

No work of art, but a pretty result for Scott Darling, Blackhawks

Chicago's new media Darling stood in front of his locker Sunday at the United Center after the Blackhawks' 4-2 victory over the Predators and sheepishly answered questions about his goalie mask.

Not that long ago Scott Darling could walk into a local restaurant without turning a head. But now, as his stature continues to rise nationally after his first playoff start, here the 26-year-old hockey vagabond from Lemont was describing the helmet that serves as an ode to his hometown.
    "The goalie mask is a good way to express yourself, and for me it works out perfectly being from Chicago and playing for Chicago … putting some of my favorite icon things on there,'' Darling said after making 35 saves in place of Corey Crawford.

Designed by Chicagoan Jason Livery of Head Strong Grafx, the mask includes images that pay tribute to the Blues Brothers, Portillo's and the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off.'' It features the Bean sculpture, the "L,'' the Willis Tower, a "W. Madison Street" sign and the initials "CR'' — a memorial to late Hawks equipment manager Clint Reif. A pink ribbon honors his mother, Cindy, a two-time cancer survivor. The Latin slogan on the back, "Luctor et Emergo,'' translates into words the man who overcame issues with alcohol now lives by: Struggle and emerge.

"It's a good piece of art,'' Darling said, displaying the helmet.
    As victories go, the Hawks have unveiled better artistry on ice, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder if you're coach Joel Quenneville. This was the Hawks' prettiest overall effort since the playoffs started. The Hawks had leads that barely lasted longer than some goal celebrations — 31 and 22 seconds — but responded as Quenneville had urged after Brandon Saad beat Predators goalie Pekka Rinne on a breakaway at the 3:38 mark of the second period.

"I liked our game,'' Quenneville said.
    Quenneville particularly enjoyed seeing two of his hunches pay off to put the pressure back on the Predators. Quenneville's first correct guess was starting Darling after Crawford gave up six goals Friday night — making it nine in four periods of this series. When Quenneville described Darling's play as "rock solid,'' it suggested that Crawford will stay on the bench and the hockey world will remain intrigued by his replacement. No other logical choice exists for Quenneville, who stopped short of naming Darling Tuesday's starter.

Nobody will compare Darling's Game 3 effort to his Game 1 heroics — which made NHL history — but he kept his 6-foot-5 frame square in the net and did nothing to lose the job. Asked if he still asks himself whether he belongs in the NHL, Darling deflected any doubts like a weak wrist shot.
    "I tried to stop saying that to myself,'' he said. "The guys on the team have made me feel like I belong. That's come through in my confidence and my play.''

The improved play in front of Darling helped make his day easier, exactly what Quenneville had in mind when he juggled the lineup yet again. Which brings us to Quenneville's other hunch that worked: Benching fourth-line forwards Teuvo Teravainen and Joakim Nordstrom for Antoine Vermette and Andrew Desjardins. Teravainen especially showed in the Game 1 victory how valuable a puck magician can be on a team that struggles offensively.
    But just when nearly everyone from the press box to your living room had questioned Quenneville's lineup, Desjardins scored Sunday's first goal. Then the versatile veteran played a major role hustling to create an insurance goal, a Brent Seabrook laser from the slot that made it 4-2. These contributions came from a guy who hadn't played in eight days.

"You just have to stay ready,'' Desjardins said. "You've got to stay with it ... never too high, never too low. It can be a long playoffs.''

It will be if the Hawks keep protecting late leads like this. Asked about his team's 26-0-0 record when leading after two periods, Quenneville knocked on the wood lectern. Truth is, it involves more skill than luck and the Hawks have enough depth to make every playoff game feel like a tryout for the guys complementing the Kanes and Toews and Hossas.

"We like making decisions based on performance,'' Quenneville said. "We feel whoever comes in and comes out, we're not losing anything. In that competitiveness, everybody wants more.''

On cue, the Hawks skated like they wanted this more. Nashville's best shot was a cheap one, coming late in the third when Predators center Mike Ribeiro punched Andrew Shaw, who was sitting on the Hawks bench as Ribeiro's momentum carried him over the wall. Earlier in the period, Predators instigator Paul Gaustad used both hands to swing his stick and connect with the helmet of Blackhawks forward Bryan Bickell. Bickell barely flinched.

Neither did the Hawks in a game accented by its master strokes.

--------------------