28 Bears Free Agents

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by shark86x, Jan 23, 2014.

1. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

The original thread got lost in the crash, so I'm re-posting my table for reference. I'll try to keep this post updated.

upload_2014-1-23_8-19-1.png
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01

thanks. I'm still 100% jealous about your ability to use graphs/excel style and I cannot.
  3. strockrocks

strockrocks

It kind of makes me sick that Melton (stole) $8.5 million from the Bears. He played a few games, then am hearing he was/is being lazy about his rehab. Kind of disappointing when you have guys making considerably less that are working their asses off
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68

You get the feeling that the team isn't all that happy with him right now. Getting arrested and apparently not working too hard on his rehab seem to have irked Phil after wasting $8m on him last year for 3 crappy games. Yeah, the injury isn't his fault of course but he also did nothing leading up to it. Ratliff is probably way cheaper and has better scheme versatility so the only advantage Melton has is being younger. And that counts for little if he's unmotivated and not 100% physically. I wouldn't be surprised if the team lets him walk down to Tampa where Lovie will overpay him again.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue

Yeah I would not be against letting Melton go. Frankly I though he was overrated even before all this crap.
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear

If we can keep Collins and Ratliff I'm good w/giving Melton the boot.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 4th and 26

4th and 26 Staff Member

I must be missing something by people who want to let Melton go because our defense was very bad this year. I think he is one of our better guys on the DL.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01

4th, he could be expensive, there are questions inside HH as to how dedicated he was in his rehab, AND he got arrested in a bar fight....there are a lot of reasons why people assume he won't be back.
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS

Additionally if we switch schemes he has no position. He is not a NT. Maybe a 34DE but unproven and not worth big money for the unknown
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68

Lot of question marks about Melton.
    He had one pro bowl year and lots questioned how much of that was HIM and how much of it was Peppers.
    Then the Bears FTd him and he had a concussion early in PS.
    Then he played in 3 RS games and did nothing to distinguish himself.
    Then he tore his ACL, missed the rest of the year, and down the toilet went $8m.
    Then he started possibly slacking off on his rehab and got arrested in a drunken bar brawl.
    Now he may be without a natural position depending on a possible scheme change.
    And now Lovie may want him Tampa.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Emery doesn't try all that hard to keep him.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mdbearz

mdbearz

Collins tore his ACL even later in the season than Melton. I'm not sure he would be worth a roster spot unless it was cheap enough for depth only.
  12. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

There's only 2 on that list I would really like to retain Ratliff and peanut. Britton proved to be a solid backup and swing man so he could be a keeper. The others what ever just get good deals or find replacements is fine.

Melton is no franchise player maybe a decent player but not a franchise player. I couldn't tell you what the difference is between him and Nate Collins, maybe 1 is over payed and other isn't.
  13. strockrocks

strockrocks

The one difference is that Collins has been working his ASS off in his rehab, while Melton, (said people out of Halas Hall) wasn't aggressive in his rehab and his focus has not been on his rehab. That can't make Emery happy, as he called him out in his presser. I think Melton will receive better offers elsewhere and will probably take it. I'm fine with that. I hope Collins can come back strong; he's got the heart and drive. I can't wait for the draft and FA...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH

depending on the money, some guys will stay and some will go. Emery wants to keep some of them for sure, but only for what the Bears are willing to pay