3 bold opinions about the Chicago Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Re: Wilson i read it was a medical prob which causes irritation to the Achilles , not an actual tear . What I haven't heard is whether he had surgery to correct it or if it's even poss to correct it with surg . If it's a chronic untreatable condition , like arthritis , then i won't believe it ( him starting ) until I see it . But I do hope he can still play cuz it would give the Bears ( at the very least ) a smart solid veteran back there . Just have to wait and see .
    Claussen has much more talent than Palmer , period .

2. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

I was reading up on it. (And if it is posted on the internet, it has to be true!!) There are a variety of surgical treatments that can go all the way up to a partial or full detachment of the Achilles. I know that e had surgery. But no details on exactly what kind of surgery.

Since he sat out an entire year I assume that something was done to the Achilles.

3. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Yeah, that's correct Roch I just meant that they had to put nearly a mil on the table for him and since he's a vested vet once the season begins if he's on the roster they're on the hook for all of it. They do get a lower cap charge though.

With both Conte and Steltz on the PUP as camp opens that kind of explains why they're taking a chance with Wilson. That's two vet Safeties out and it opens the door a little wider for Wilson to step through.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member

Wouldn't putting Long on the PUP allow the team to bring in another player short term?

5. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I thought that too but according to these rules it appears that in the preseason a guy whose on the PUP or out with an NFI is still considered a member of the active roster because he can practice anytime he's been cleared to do so. That being the case it doesn't open up a roster spot.

If a player is still on the PUP when the regular season begins he's not consider a member of the active roster and he has to sit out for six games until he can begin to practice again. Once he does the team has 21 days to decide whether or not to activate him and place him on the 53 man roster.

So the rules are a bit different for preseason than they are for the regular season because there is no limitation on when a player can be removed from the PUP and begin to practice again. I guess that's why they were using the term Active PUP.

Physically Unable to Perform

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) is a designationed used in the National Football League for players who suffer from football-related injuries during the preseason. PUP players may participate in team meetings, and take advantage of the training and medical facilities, but cannot practice with the team.
    There are two separate PUP lists: a preseason PUP list and a regular-season PUP list.

Contents

[hide]

Preseason PUP[edit]

A player who, as a result of football-related injuries, is unable to take part in training camp practices may be assigned to the preseason PUP list. Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player cannot be placed on the PUP list, however, once he has taken the field for a practice, even if only for a few minutes.
    Regular-Season PUP[edit]

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season.[sup][1][/sup]
    Non-Football Injury[edit]

A similar list, known as the Non-Football Injury (NFI) list, is functionally equivalent to PUP, but is used for players who are unable to practice as a result of conditions unrelated to football. For example, New England Patriots tackle Marcus Cannon began his rookie season on the NFI list as he recovered from chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
    The NFI designation, despite its name, also covers injuries sustained during football played outside the NFL, including college football. Willis McGahee spent his entire rookie season on the Buffalo Bills' NFI list due to the major knee injury he sustained in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Just looked at the camp roster. Long, Conte, and Steltz are not on it and the total number listed is 87 so that would confirm they're leaving those spots open for those guys to return. Once they do they'll be at the 90 player limit.

• Like Like x 1