3 Point Stance: Where's the depth on D-line?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 16, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/08/16/3-point-stance-wheres-the-depth-on-d-line/adfjybi/
    3 Point Stance: Where's the depth on D-line?
    By HUB ARKUSH - harkush@shawmedia.com - Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:19 p.m. CDT

Lathan Goumas - lgoumas@shawmedia.com Defensive tackle Henry Melton signs autographs for fans following the second day of practice at Chicago Bears training camp in Bourbonnais, Ill. on Saturday, July 27, 2013. (Lathan Goumas)
    1. Is it time for defensive coordinator Mel Tucker to start to worry? Henry Melton still has much to prove, which is why he has a franchise tag rather than a long-term deal. But at least Tucker knows he's a disruptor and a playmaker. But what has Stephen Paea shown to suggest he will do more than occupy space? Nate Collins appears to be fine as the third tackle but after that who's next man up? Both Corvey Irvin and Zach Minter have created buzz but neither showed up vs. the Chargers and Irvin dinged an ankle. With Melton battling a concussion, the Bears are dangerously thin at tackle.
    2. Ditto the secondary. With a chance to make a statement in their second preseason game, neither Demontre Hurst or C.J. Wilson showed up and Hurst was burned by Robert Meachem after slipping and falling on an up route.
    3. Is depth a concern everywhere? After managing just 144 yards of offense in the first half, the Bears had nine yards in the third quarter and just 33 more in the fourth. Marc Trestman cannot be pleased with a 185-yard night of offense.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    I think collins will do fine until Melton gets back. Isn't that all Paea really needs to do, shut down that one section while Wootton/Peppers and Melton/Collins get the job done? Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice if he could get to the qb to, but shit if all he does is stonewall run plays on his side I think he'll be just fine. The depth beyond that is pretty weak, but how many teams really run 3 deep at DE and DT in a 4-3 system; that's seems like it's asking a lot...not to mention that Peppers and Wootton could easily slide in if necessary and Shea will just have to deal.

I wouldn't worry to much about the 2ndry either...unless Jennings/Tillman/Conte get hurt I think they'll have enough to plug the holes.

OL depth might be a problem but other then that the O seems plenty deep.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    Like last year, if Conte's out, kiss the pass defense good bye.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    I think frey will be able to step in and help out if that were to happen HB.
  5. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Paea is Zorich w/o the occasional big play . I have noticed he gets 2-teamed on most plays , so obviously other teams are concerned w his quickness ..... so this has everything to do with his lack of sacks . Maybe it's the other interior linemen who should be showing more if Paea is being 2-teamed . Huh ? What does that say about those guys ?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    I think that is a big reason that Collins is having such a big pre season BHS.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,446 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    636ß
    Collins had another sack last night and always plays his gap assignment well. Same with Paea and although he gets good push he was getting double teamed much of the game because Pep wasn't playing. Take those away and that pressure turns into hit and sacks. In the end he's still a NT and his job isn't to rush or penetrate it's to hold is gap while others do.

Was this Arkush writing this crap. "What else does Paea do but occupy space"? WTF!! o_O Maybe somebody needs to explain the role of an NFL NT to him. Actually Hub, that's exactly what Paea is supposed to be doing and he's actually doing it pretty well for a NT who only goes 297lbs, not 330lbs. This is a perfect example of how little Hub Arkush knows about the game and his avowed desire to simply be a critic whenever the opportunity rises.

Irvin went down with an ankle injury so Hub either must have missed that or wasn't watching at all. Minter made a play or two but no more than that however this kid Aston Whiteside brought some nice pressure playing at RDE and at DT. H gets off the ball very quickly and although I didn't see many great moves he's got a very good bull rush and can push the pocket. He may turn out to be that guy we hope McBride could be when we signed him and before he was injured.

And he's bitching about depth at CB because a 3rd string DB fell down and gave up a big play? Hurst won't even come close to making the team but C J Wilson made a couple of nice plays last night and with Hayden out for the year I believe he has a shot at making the final 53.

This is Hub Arkush guys. He's just like Mr D. Half the time he doesn't know what he talking about and the other half the time he doesn't know what he's talking about either. ;)