31 percent of all players on all NFL rosters last year were undrafted players.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 17, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    I like how Emery and Trestman kick the tires on a lot of players. I realize some like to think an UDFA, like Lynch for example, has about zero chance to make the Bears final roster. But rosters have always been supported by a healthy percentage of talented UDFA's. Last year almost 1/3 of the players on NFL rosters were UDFA's at one time. There are several UDFA's in the Hall of Fame.

On the flip side of the coin, there are countless 1st round draft picks that end up total busts. There was a 10 year draft study posted here a few months ago that put the 1st round bust-rate at over 40%. That's just 1st rounders. So just because a guy didn't get drafted, it doesn't mean he can't end up helping the Bears team, and even end up being an impact player.

The NFL draft is not a science. I think we sometimes get over-enamored with the idea that it is a science. But it's a crap shoot at best. We ohh and ahh over 40yd times and other metrics as if there's some nickle-dime software program that can predict success in the NFL from the numbers. Or we worship what Mel Almighty Kiper says as gospel (or the the talking heads at ESPN). We often discount kids from smaller schools as if they can't make the jump to the NFL. But the fact remains this is NOT a science, and every year there are guys who were touted as "can't miss" draft prospects that ultimately bust. And no-name kids who end up being rock-solid NFL players.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Or maybe some are just more realistic about the odds of the white QB to HB conversion player who has been hyped up at a hilarious level?
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,432 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß
    Well said! Isn't it funny how the draft gurus are never questioned on how many misses they predict will be can't miss All Pros? That would spoil their image and their mystique wouldn't it?

It is a crap shoot where all you're trying to do is improve your odds of choosing well. Some are better at it than others. I don't think there's a team out there without a number of UDFA in core starting positions or on STeams.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,462 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    250ß
    " white QB to HB conversion"
    [​IMG]

hyped to ridiculous levels? By hyped you mean might make the team as the 3rd or 4th rb and be a kr/pr/st guy? Ya really hyped....I remember reading all the thread about how the qb who's been told his only shot at the nfl is as a rb b/c it's the one thing he's good at MIGHT be the 3rd or 4th rb on a roster is taking DaBears to the SB threads
  5. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's simple reality. How many white HBs are there in the league? How many successful QB to HB conversions are in the league? Add those together and... PS, I'm white, so I find the hype for these types of guys who are classified as "all heart" to be ultra hilarious.

I don't even need to pull out the thread and point out all the hilarious shit in it, including a post mentioning Lynch and Payton in the same breath. Again, ridiculous.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,017 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    Don't know what you're talking about. When I saw Lynch on video, I could hardly tell them apart.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    I'm not sure why it should matter if he's WHITE. Gerhart and Woodhead are decent RBs who happen to be white. And there's been a fair number of decent to very good WRs in recent years who are white (Welker, Decker, Cooper, Edelman).

If he can play, especially on STs, and be a viable 3rd RB then I'd love to have him. Yeah the local-boy-makes-good story maybe a little overblown but he does seem at this very early stage to have some true talent.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You mean the guys who played HB their entire college careers? Fhew, I'm glad you named all two of them, but don't forget Peyton Hillis.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Yeah well Lynch was a "QB" in college who achieved a lot more as a rusher than a passer so I don't see the conversion as all that far-fetched. Sure the competition he faced at NIU is a lot lower than the NFL but let's just wait and see. If he impresses, great. If he turns out to be nothing more than a camp hero, then he won't make the team. He's basically slotted to battle it out against Ford and that other RB we signed (forgot name). The former is a 2nd year udfa who barely has seen the field yet and the latter averaged 1.5 yards per carry last year. The bar isn't exactly all that hard to surmount.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The former also has a strong history of ST play, has played HB his entire career, looked very good running in the preseason and is three tenths of a second faster than Lynch. It would be a joke to even consider ditching Ford for Lynch.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    Sox, I'm not trying to argue here. I'm just stating historical facts regarding the draft and the NFL. No more. No less. UFDA's do make rosters, even white guys.
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    +1
    We meathead fans think a high draft pick is a lock to be a stud and an UDFA can't possible make an NFL roster. Yet, nothing could be further from the truth. History bears this out.
  13. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Ryan Leaf, Tony Romo
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    And last time I checked there were multiple races represented on NFL rosters. In fact, the last time I checked, you even (gasp) had white players invited to the NFL Combine. But of course none of them made any NFL rosters. :lol 027:

I just don't see a "race thing" here. We need good players. Lynch could be seen by Trestman as a guy who can help the team.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    Coaches consider more than a single metric. Three tenths of a second difference in a 40yd time may not mean, to Trestman, that Lynch isn't worth a roster spot. I know you realize this Sox, that there is more to football than that. Lynch may not make this roster, although I do believe he has a shot. We'll just sit back and see what happens here. Maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't. I hope he does.
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    No, I think he is asking why race is important. Why does it matter if he is a black QB, white RB (both rare in the NFL). If they can play, it should not matter what race they are. They do not get extra points for being of a race you do not normally see at a specific position.

One day we won't talk about white this, black that. Just focus in on the person, not the race.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,017 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    People seem to always have this in the back of their minds because it seems to constantly creep into conversations when you least expect it. It goes both ways. White... black... doesn't seems to matter. You just shake your head and just say to yourself "really?!"
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    +1
    That is the point I was trying to make Benj. All coaches care about right now is if the guy can play well enough to help the team win. The coaches (and Emery for that matter) have their jobs riding on putting together a winning team here in Chicago. If they began basing rosters on race then they'd be committing career-suicide. Their career rides on whether or not they can produce a winner here in Chicago. They don't give a care about if the guy is black, white or an alien from outer-space. It the guy can help the team win then he's "good" and makes the roster. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It's delusional to think race factors into this with Emery or Trestman.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Unfortunately it is a stereotype in sports. Think it's bad in the NFL, look at the NBA
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    It's a hangup with some fans. But in the NFL, coaches and GM's understand that they win - or ultimately they lose their jobs if they can't produce a winning team. Emery and Trestman understand this. Consequently, these guys don't worry about fielding a team based on anything but players who will help them win.

But I do agree some fans have race-baggage issues. It's a society problem for sure. But make no mistake, all Emery and Trestman are concerned about is putting together a winning team here in Chicago.