31 percent of all players on all NFL rosters last year were undrafted players.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 17, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,498ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Sox, I'm not trying to argue here. I'm just stating historical facts regarding the draft and the NFL. No more. No less. UFDA's do make rosters, even white guys.

#11 JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,498ß
    +1
    We meathead fans think a high draft pick is a lock to be a stud and an UDFA can't possible make an NFL roster. Yet, nothing could be further from the truth. History bears this out.

3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,155ß
    Ryan Leaf, Tony Romo

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,498ß
    And last time I checked there were multiple races represented on NFL rosters. In fact, the last time I checked, you even (gasp) had white players invited to the NFL Combine. But of course none of them made any NFL rosters. :lol 027:

I just don't see a "race thing" here. We need good players. Lynch could be seen by Trestman as a guy who can help the team.

#14 JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,498ß
    Coaches consider more than a single metric. Three tenths of a second difference in a 40yd time may not mean, to Trestman, that Lynch isn't worth a roster spot. I know you realize this Sox, that there is more to football than that. Lynch may not make this roster, although I do believe he has a shot. We'll just sit back and see what happens here. Maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't. I hope he does.

#15 JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 18, 2014
  6. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,155ß
    No, I think he is asking why race is important. Why does it matter if he is a black QB, white RB (both rare in the NFL). If they can play, it should not matter what race they are. They do not get extra points for being of a race you do not normally see at a specific position.

One day we won't talk about white this, black that. Just focus in on the person, not the race.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,006ß
    People seem to always have this in the back of their minds because it seems to constantly creep into conversations when you least expect it. It goes both ways. White... black... doesn't seems to matter. You just shake your head and just say to yourself "really?!"

• Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,498ß
    +1
    That is the point I was trying to make Benj. All coaches care about right now is if the guy can play well enough to help the team win. The coaches (and Emery for that matter) have their jobs riding on putting together a winning team here in Chicago. If they began basing rosters on race then they'd be committing career-suicide. Their career rides on whether or not they can produce a winner here in Chicago. They don't give a care about if the guy is black, white or an alien from outer-space. It the guy can help the team win then he's "good" and makes the roster. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It's delusional to think race factors into this with Emery or Trestman.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,155ß
    Unfortunately it is a stereotype in sports. Think it's bad in the NFL, look at the NBA

10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,498ß
    It's a hangup with some fans. But in the NFL, coaches and GM's understand that they win - or ultimately they lose their jobs if they can't produce a winning team. Emery and Trestman understand this. Consequently, these guys don't worry about fielding a team based on anything but players who will help them win.

But I do agree some fans have race-baggage issues. It's a society problem for sure. But make no mistake, all Emery and Trestman are concerned about is putting together a winning team here in Chicago.