31 percent of all players on all NFL rosters last year were undrafted players.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 17, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    Didn't work so well in the NBA. You lose your team when you think like that. There is just no place for it. You want a job done, you pick the best guy. The only time race stuff starts to get under my skin is if a person picks the best people for the position (sincerely picks thm -- not under the cover of picking picking of a certain race), and they all happen to come out one race or another, or mostly one race or another, then people come out and claim that the choices were made based on race.

We can't have it both ways. The real problem there seems to be that racists hide under the "best person for the job card" and don't always pick the best people.

I remember one time I had to put together a team for a project. When the smoke cleared I had only one or two blacks on the team. (can't rmemeber exactly now since it's been a while). I actually had no idea. I really never looked at them from that aspect. I had picked them and they were all "my people" people that I trusted would do what I asked and had the ability to get the job done right when it needed to get done.

An upper manager asked me about it about two weeks later. And when he did, he cracked up. He says something to the affect of " never mind... you should have seen the look on your face... I can tell you never even thought about it." And it kind of affected me... I started to think... am I going to have to let some people go and replace them with some others just because of their skin color... I've been training them now for a couple of weeks. I hired them based on what they can do.... not I have to replace them based on their skin color.... isn't that now going to give someone a legitimate complaint....

All of this flashes through your brain in seconds right after your brain adjusts to the situation. It was for the government and it was kind of a big deal because it's obviously something that is very important. Anyway.... yeah.....long story.... just to say that I agree.. I wish everyone would treat everyone equal and all this crap would go away.

BTW, not sure it mattered, but that upper manager I worked for was black (one of the better managers I have worked for). He was an older gentleman that had been through and seen some of the really hard prejudices in the south when he was young, so his mind still looked for that stuff (not to mention it was his job to promote equality.)
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    If the 40 time mattered Carey wouldn't have been drafted, he was laughably slow in his 40 time for a RB, and he's(black) It might be rare, but it's not like it's impossible for a white guy to be a RB, and again, Trestman and Kromer's thoughts on who should make the roster are a lot more important then anyone on this board opinion.

And if THEY think he could add something to this roster, or shouldn't be on the team, NO ONE should think otherwise. btw, if anyone compared Lynch to Payton they should be mocked endlessly; unless they were talking about the rb/pass option...but that was one SMALL part of Sweetness' game.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    He must absolutely hate our new 4th round running back who ALSO ran a 4.7 40. Maybe that's ok if he happens to be black.

PS: Just saw Ric beat me to it pointing our that Carey ran a slow 40 too.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,025 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,726ß
    That is exactly what I am saying. You pick the best guy. The margin of error in building a good team is frighteningly tiny. You can't afford to base stuff on race. That would be madness.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Read that they have been giving Lynch reps at returns and receiving as well as rushing. I can't imagine they'd be doing all that if they didn't think he had legit talent and a shot to stick. Ultimately he's gonna have to show he can play STs to make the team as a reserve O player.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    yeah.. I think so too. He may be more than a ST guy, but right now he is only a ST guy and is going to make or break it based on that.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Wow. I didn't expect this from you. First of all what difference does the color of his skin make? Saying a white RB has little chance of success in the NFL is on par with saying black QBs can't play in the NFL either. Why? Not fast enough, not elusive enough or just not black enough? Man, talk about stereotyping a position by race.

Maybe it's because most college RBs are black and that's the universe NFL teams are selecting from. Wouldn't that make sense and be the exact same reason that most NFL QB prospects are white because most college QB are white? If most college OTs were Italian then I guess we'd see more Italian OTs in the NFL too. There are and have been good NFL RBs who are white. How about Toby Gerhart, Mike Alstott, Brad Muster, Rocky Blier, Matt Suhey?

This isn't the "Great White Hope" thing you're implying it is. The kid is a good football player and he has a chance of making the team. How many QB to RB conversions were Heisman candidates two years running? If there had never been a white RB in the NFL history would that mean Lynch has no chance of succeeding? This race thing is as off base as the fact that Lynch played QB.

And as far as the Payton comparisons the only ones I've made or read have dealt with a RB who can throw an option pass and the possibility that Walter didn't run a 40 yard dash in less than 4.7 secs either. No one was comparing them as RBs in general. Lynch and Carey both ran a 4.7 40 so are you saying that Carey is the better runner only because he's black or is it because he's strictly a RB? Does Lynch need to learn to be one even after gaining over 4000 yards rushing in his college career? I'd grant you that he needs to learn to pass block but he seems to have a pretty good handle on the running thing, no?

We're talking about a guy competing for the #3 RB spot and some STeams work not Fortes replacement so why the criticism and who the hell said anything about "all heart"? It's not about that or the fact that he's local or the fact that he's white. The kid has talent enough to be given a shot at making the team and that's it. Nothing more and nothing less.

PS: I'm white too except for my music. That's pretty black. LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    All this high and mighty color blind stuff is genuinely inspiring, but fact remains that my opinion on this matter is grounded solidly in imperial evidence and facts of life. It's cool the guy is catching some return balls, guess what, our current ridiculously more athletic, proven, experienced and simply better (yes, I said it without even seeing them side-by-side on the same field) third HB, Michael Ford, has been doing that his entire career since HS. Three tenths of a second might not mean much to you, how about the tenth of a second faster he went from stop to go? That's a whole yard further he can be within a ten yard sprint down field. That's a half yard difference to the hole from the normalrb formation set and the difference between difference between beating a diving tackler to the edge. You can kid yourself into believing Lynch can compete with Ford because he can throw a wobbly pass, I won't.
  9. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Is Richie Incognito still available? Oh wait, he's a Guard.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    same imperial data that people used for why a black qb couldn't succeed back in the up until the 90's?
  12. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Nope, the kind grounded in reality and facts, not racism.
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    It has nothing to do with being color blind or at least it doesn't on my part. I don't give a fuck if the kid is black, purple or green he's earned a shot at making the team. Whether or not Ford is the better of the two is what we'll find out. No one handed him that #3 spot yet.

As for his measurables while he ran all of .06 slower than Carey in the 40 in both his 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle drills he was faster. By two tenths of a second in the 20 yard shuttle and by more than a half second in the 3 cone so if that's all were going by then he must be better than Carey too right?

Fuck all these numbers. The kid is a good football player and his measurables are right in there with Carey's and probably Fords as well although Ford is probably faster in the 40. And it had nothing to do with wobbly passes. He's not competing to play QB. I think Ford looked pretty good last preseason but he's nothing special or we wouldn't have drafted Carey right?

Maybe some guys are getting carried away with Lynch's prospects but I'm not. The kid offers some versatility we don't have elsewhere and his college track record speaks for itself so I don't have to. Carey will make the team by virtue of his draft status but as far as Lynch and Ford go it's still may the best man win and maybe they both do.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß

They should hand it to Ford, he's the better HB, STer, KRer and athlete now and in the future.

Was that all I was going on? I'm pretty sure not and I don't care nearly as much about cute feet as I do about functional speed.

Why wouldn't they draft another HB? I'm a Ford fan and I wanted one drafted in the exact round Carey was selected in. We had exactly two HBs worth a damn on the roster, now we have three. Strength in numbers, talent an depth.

If Lynch beats Ford I'll let you sig me for a month. If he outdoes Ford in any single phase of the game, I'll be shocked.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,025 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,726ß
    That could be the case Sox, but we don't know how Trestman and Kromer will ultimately have them evaluated. I don't believe any of us fans can say (at this point) that Lynch isn't going to make the team......certainly not based on a 40yd time or based on the player's race (black, white, Hispanic or whatever). All the coaches care about is having the players that give them the best chance to win. That may or may not be Lynch. I hope the guy proves himself worthy of a roster spot. If he's not worthy, then I'm fine with whomever Trestman goes with. I trust him to put together the best roster he can so we can get beyond this 8-8 record that we all can agree on stinks.
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +226 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    617ß
    The idea is to build the best CHICAGO BEARS team.

Emery it looks ... has done that with FA/DRAFT/UDFA.

Specifically the defense. As an aside ... offense tricks.

What tricks JJ ? I dont know ... but it could get tricky.

The joy we get when we sucker punch a team is what makes us BEARS fans.

I can think of a few teams that should be slobber knocked on a regular basis ...

of course none of them are in the NFC NORF.

Yeah ... that.

Seattle ...Frisco ... I want to knaw on their bones after the game.

Who the hell do they think they are compared to us ?

Lets show them.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    and he's black and apparently that makes a difference. If he was clearly such a better athlete they wouldn't have brought in Carey and Lynch to compete for the jobs of backup rb and st's kr/pr.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,025 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,726ß
    Jackie, that quote is one for the ages. Classic. I hope we're gnawing on their bones after the games too.

[​IMG]
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +226 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    617ß
    Friscos locker room pregame :

Ok lets get focused and some shits going on here against DAA BEARSSE that we havent seen the last few DECADES ...

first of all they think they can actually beat us and we know thats not going to happen.

Lets stay together and we can get this done !

Uhhh ... coach what about that option play they are running?

Its not that big of a deal in fact they havent played it yet.

Uhh ... coach what LBer's are they starting ?

We'll know that when we take to the field.

Uhh ... coach whats their DE lineup again?

There may be some more but less last then yesterday.

Uhhh ... ok ... but their DT's ... whose starting ?

They have 2 rookies penciled in.

Uhhh ... and like y'know ... are those guys good ?

Thats up to you to find out , now get out there and earn a paycheck !

Paycheck ? We get a paycheck ?

I think we better do another MRI on him ... let his agent know.
  20. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    It's not very hard to see why they brought in other runners. It's an extremely important position where we had a whole two quality players and were a single play away from distaster. As for returns, I'll believe Lynch is anything but getting tested for versatility when I see it. I'd bet he goes into the season closer to tenth than first on that depth chart.