31 percent of all players on all NFL rosters last year were undrafted players.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 17, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß
    I don't do the sig bet stuff. You know that and I never said you were being racist I said you were stereotyping by position and to me you are. Tim Tebow would probably still be playing if he's agreed to play RB or HBack. I'm not saying it's a common thing for guys like him and Lynch to convert but it's also not the impossibility you want to make it.

You like Ford. I like Ford too but with the exception of a few nice carries and a little shake and bake move last preseason that left a tackler looking foolish I haven't seen all that much from him. He wasn't all that and a bag of chips on STeams either so it's not like we're talking about a core player here. Guys like him get replaced all the time.

How do you rank functional speed? As far as quickness and agility it would seem that Lynch is at least the equivalent of Carey and so far the coaches have said he's been impressive. I think we both know that Carey is a virtual lock to be the #2 back so all we're talking about is the #3 spot. Ford has some traits the Bears may value and Lynch has a few other they may also value. What it all comes down to is who they can use the most now with a few points thrown in for upside.
  2. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    But if Ford was so amazing why did they draft Carey in the 4th round?

The way I see it Ford does have a huge gap on Lynch for the number 3 spot, and he should aim to push for the number 2 spot and to be a guy who sees snaps. But Lynch has some traits that make me think he's worth a shot. He reminds me of the patriots model of working out first and fore most if a guy is a football player and then working out where to put him. I think he'll be the 4th best RB and if he makes the roster it will be for what he can do all around. Same with Ford. Sure they will be competing directly for the spot on the RB depth chart but it's an all round game.

I would say the reason 31% of all players on rosters were undrafted last year is because of special teams. The last few roster spots always go down to special teams and it's often where the undrafted guys who might not have the perfect measurables or otherwise stand out due to competitiveness and how well they respond to coaching. It's also where Ford and Lynch will have to contribute to make the roster.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    My personal favorite Bears UDFA was Jay Hilgenberg. Most of you guys know I'm an oline nut, and I still enjoy watching old video of this guy play. He was an UDFA who had a stellar 13 year career & was a Pro Bowl Bear 7 times, and an All-Pro 7 times. He's been nominated for the Hall of Fame but centers have a tough time getting into the Hall. I loved watching him block for Walter Payton.

Anyway, here's a fun link of the top 25 UDFA's from the last 25 years. If you Google the topic you'll be amazed at some of the guys who were UDFA's (many are not on this particular list). Some are among the best players ever to play in the NFL. Before someone jumps on me and says this is the exception and not the rule, hey, I concede that. My only point is that some of the best players to ever play the game have been UDFA's (15 are in the Hall of Fame). Yes it is the exception. But quality guys do go undrafted that end up having stellar careers. And we've already read that 40% of 1st round players end up busts (from that 10 year study posted earlier today). So the fancy pedigree doesn't assure a solid player. I guess I just get frustrated when I read posters denigrate UDFA's as if they have no shot at having an NFL career. Some will not only have long NFL careers but will also be Pro Bowl level players. History bears that out (pun intended) :smile:

4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    It would seem to me that Emery is cycling through/kicking tires on more players than JA did. I don't expect UDFA miracles but just to get a backup TE and a reserve safety would be great. Anything else is gravy as far as addressing needs.

I'm hoping the expanded scouting dept. can really help getting good UDFA's.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Yeah, I liked Ford last PS too. And Id love for him to become a valuable guy for us. But, and this is admittedly very preliminary here, I haven't seen this great "athleticism" translated to the field yet. I don't recall him standing out at all on STs, correct me if I'm wrong here. And all last year when our #2 RB was utterly ineffective and overpaid I don't recall Ford ever getting a single snap on offense. Pretty much the equivalent of CornWash not getting hardly any PT despite a DL that was a complete dumpster fire.

So yeah I think the idea that Ford should be just handed a roster spot because "his athletic numbers are better" is pretty weak. As Soul said, guys like him get replaced all the time. If Ford was all that he'd have been given a few handoffs last year and he wasn't.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,550 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    749ß
    If we are going to have a Bears combine, then yeah Ford should be entered. If we are looking for who is going to gain more yards with the ball, then we should probably wait and see what they do in the camps and preseason before we crown anyone. We have some good competition here. I can't even count the number of players that had great combine numbers and did badly on the field. Not to say that is Ford, but I'm far from thinking that he is going to be the best RB just because of his measurables. There is a reason that he did not play all that much last year and that we brought in more than one RB to take a look at.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I really agree 100% with this. This upgraded scouting department, and a solid GM in Emery should result in some good talent being harvested from the UDFA pool each year. Even if it's just a few players to fill out our roster and add much needed quality depth. It doesn't have to be a great player find, but just finding rock-solid depth here-and-there would make us a better team. I think it's things like this that separate the best teams from the good teams. We've often been a good team, but just couldn't climb into that great team position. I'm hopeful that Emery and the upgraded scouting department can change this, and a few UDFA's could be key in this process......even if their merely depth players.
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    I read a piece similar to that the other day. I understand Kurt Warner had a great career (he was #1 on the list I read as well) but I don't see how you can rank him above Hall of Famers like John Randle, Larry Little, Willie Brown, Joe Perry, Warren Moon, and Night Train Lane. Warner isn't even a lock to be a Hall of Famer. He very well could end up there but these guys are in the Hall of Fame. The list should start with them and then we can talk about the Wes Welkers and and Jeff Saturdays of the world.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    BIH, the season is on the brink of disaster until we bring back the mighty Harvey Unga for his 17th Bears stint :smile:
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    you think they'll carry 10 RB's, cool I'll take that bet! You're on.

listen I don't think he's going to be the backup, but I don't think you can dismiss what Trestman and Kromer are saying about him, about his ability to see and react to the field, those are key components to the KR/PR as well as RB positions.

I also don't think you can honestly say the team has ANY confidence in Ford right now after they brought in 2 competitors for the backup and 3rd rb role. If the team liked Ford so much they wouldn't have brought in Carey to fight for the #2 spot, or Lynch to fight for the 3rd/ST role.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I agree with you. To be honest, I just Googled for UDFA's who were good and came up with a slew of stories about guys who were undrafted but ended up being solid players. This was just the first one I cut and pasted here. I briefly read some other articles then, and the lists were different. The important thing I got from the reading is that the UDFA's continue to play a critically important role for teams that can identify them as good players. Kurt Warner (in my opinion) isn't the greatest at all. Not even close. But I step back and think of how good it would be to grab a Kurt Warner quality UDFA player (at any position) out of this year's UDFA crop. Many of us can't imagine a 6th round QB like Fales even making the roster, but hey, you never know what Trestman can do with a guy like this. I think we fail to realize that great players are not limited to the 1st round of the draft, and that just because a guy is a 1st round pick, it doesn't mean he's a lock to be anything great. The NFL is more complex than that.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    to add to that previous post, I don't think you can just dismiss Ford either, the reality is that competition was brought in, not necessarily his replacements. He'll have every oppertunity to take on the backup or #3 role, but it's not going to be handed to him by any means, and I could see him just as likely the #4/cut as Lynch.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    I think between Ford, Lynch, and this Senorise Perry guy we'll end up with a very solid #2 back.
  14. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    Very true. I think in another thread you were talking about how it's not a science and that's the truth of it. There's great players who fall through the cracks every year and can be had in every round. I'm willing to bet every team has a player who should have gone earlier. Look at Forte, if you looked at his career you'd think he's a top 15-20 pick in the first round but we snagged him in the second. Hindsight is 20/20 and there's always going to be great players you can grab in every round. Look at Mills, a 5th rounder isn't expected to start all 16 games like he did. There were growing pains, but he had a helluva season for his draft grade. For any draft grade. There's first rounders who don't duplicate what he did last year.

I guess my biggest point about the UDFA's is it's ridiculous that your first list and the article I read both had Warner at #1. I realize QB is important but how you can place him above players who have their busts in Canton just doesn't make sense to me. Silly, really.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    #3 back, Carey or Ford will be #2. Ford/Lynch/Perry will be #3, but Perry is on the outside looking in, and by outside I mean on the sidewalk looking in through the window, of the room connected to the room where everyone else is hanging out.
  16. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    Haha, yeah I definitely wouldn't be putting my money on Perry. But they picked him up for a reason so there could be some talent there, he's definitely got the speed. Will be interesting to see what happens with him. I'm curious to see what happens with Marcus Trice as well.
    • Like Like x 1