31 percent of all players on all NFL rosters last year were undrafted players.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 17, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,272ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I agree with you. To be honest, I just Googled for UDFA's who were good and came up with a slew of stories about guys who were undrafted but ended up being solid players. This was just the first one I cut and pasted here. I briefly read some other articles then, and the lists were different. The important thing I got from the reading is that the UDFA's continue to play a critically important role for teams that can identify them as good players. Kurt Warner (in my opinion) isn't the greatest at all. Not even close. But I step back and think of how good it would be to grab a Kurt Warner quality UDFA player (at any position) out of this year's UDFA crop. Many of us can't imagine a 6th round QB like Fales even making the roster, but hey, you never know what Trestman can do with a guy like this. I think we fail to realize that great players are not limited to the 1st round of the draft, and that just because a guy is a 1st round pick, it doesn't mean he's a lock to be anything great. The NFL is more complex than that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,121ß
    to add to that previous post, I don't think you can just dismiss Ford either, the reality is that competition was brought in, not necessarily his replacements. He'll have every oppertunity to take on the backup or #3 role, but it's not going to be handed to him by any means, and I could see him just as likely the #4/cut as Lynch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    I think between Ford, Lynch, and this Senorise Perry guy we'll end up with a very solid #2 back.

4. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    Very true. I think in another thread you were talking about how it's not a science and that's the truth of it. There's great players who fall through the cracks every year and can be had in every round. I'm willing to bet every team has a player who should have gone earlier. Look at Forte, if you looked at his career you'd think he's a top 15-20 pick in the first round but we snagged him in the second. Hindsight is 20/20 and there's always going to be great players you can grab in every round. Look at Mills, a 5th rounder isn't expected to start all 16 games like he did. There were growing pains, but he had a helluva season for his draft grade. For any draft grade. There's first rounders who don't duplicate what he did last year.

I guess my biggest point about the UDFA's is it's ridiculous that your first list and the article I read both had Warner at #1. I realize QB is important but how you can place him above players who have their busts in Canton just doesn't make sense to me. Silly, really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,121ß
    #3 back, Carey or Ford will be #2. Ford/Lynch/Perry will be #3, but Perry is on the outside looking in, and by outside I mean on the sidewalk looking in through the window, of the room connected to the room where everyone else is hanging out.

6. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    Haha, yeah I definitely wouldn't be putting my money on Perry. But they picked him up for a reason so there could be some talent there, he's definitely got the speed. Will be interesting to see what happens with him. I'm curious to see what happens with Marcus Trice as well.

• Like Like x 1