4 Things We Learned Today

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 20, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    1-Our offense is nowhere near as prolific/dangerous as we would like to believe it is. Did you actually witness that horrific/pathetic performance in the first half? With 10 days to game plan for one of the worst defenses (through the first 6 weeks) in NFL history, and THAT is the dreck which our offense produces?? Someone remind me again, where does this Redskins defense rank? We made them look like the 1985 Bears in the first half. Jim Haslett is an idiot whose defense had been chewed up and spit out by just about every offense it had faced.....UNTIL we came to town.

2-Cutler is never going to be Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, et. al. My days of hoping/wishing/praying that Cutler would "finally realize his full potential" and become an elite QB are over. Guy is who he is, and that is not going to change. At this point in his career, I also feel that he is starting to become brittle. Dude suffers some pretty frustrating, "freakish" football injuries. First the bizzarro broken thumb against San Diego a few years ago, then the infamous Packers lower body injury, and now a catastrophic groin injury on a hit that looked pretty vanilla to my eyes. It's just a matter of time until he suffers another mondo bizarro injury on a seemingly innocuous hit.

3-We can all take solace in the fact that we all knew that this was NOT a Super Bowl team. Even if Cutler had not been injured today, we had ZERO shot at doing anything worthwhile this year. There are any number of teams in this league (Patriots, Saints, Broncos, Packers, Colts, Seahawks, etc. etc.) who would annihilate us time and time again, so any thoughts of "making noise" in the playoffs were/are patently absurd. This makes today's loss to the sorry ass Redskins infinitely easier to take. The last two games (a lucky "escape" against a winless Giants team, followed by defeat to a pathetic Redskins team) reveal that we are who we feared we were.

4-This defense is an absolute disgrace. NO MORE EXCUSES FROM ANYONE (the coaches, the talking heads in the media, the players themselves, meatball fans, etc.). I don't want to hear about "schemes holding our players back", or about how the "poor field conditions" made it really difficult to mount a pass rush, or about how many times we "almost" reached the QB, etc. It is all BALDERDASH, I say! The defense is just baaaaaaaaaad. Really, really, really, really bad. An above average pee-wee football team would prove capable of routinely mounting 90+ yard TD-scoring drives against this defense. Did anyone here REALLY believe there was a chance in hell that our defense was going to "hang on" against the Redskins in the final minutes?! The ENTIRE DL needs to be cut, pronto. Put HenryBurris and some of his friends on the roster; I don't care anymore. Emery is going to have to work a miracle this off-season. You thought rebuilding our sorry OL was a challenge?! lol, you wan't seen nothing yet. I would give my left nut and Henry's right nut to have Chandler Jones, instead of Shea McClellin, on this team. Emery really screwed the pooch on that one. I think Jones had another 4-5 sacks or something today, against the Jets. Hell, speaking of Henry, I would give anything to have the Jets DL. Whoever thought we'd be at a point where we would ENVY ANYTHING about the NY Jets?! It has turned into a sad season, bros. Sad season.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,611 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    668ß
    If it's any solace, I'm good for like 9 sacks on madden. If my game can translate to the pros, I could help this team out immensely
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,579 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    1) agreed. This O has yet to play a complete game, same w/the D don't get me wrong, but the O has been really bad at time.

2) To think he was ever going to be elite was to be sold a bill of goods by JA. He traded 2 firsts and a 3rd and a player for a boarder line franchise guy and a 4th. He's not that guy. He's good, he can be really good, but he'll never be elite, and that was the problem in giving up so much for him.

3) Yep, 8-10 wins was the most this team could hope for this year.

4)Still think it's hard to put this on Tucker, he doesn't have the players to run a cover 2 D, which the players still wanted to pay. IF you do not have a front 4 that can pressure on it's own, then you cannot run a cover 2. Maybe it is on Tucker for not spotting it and telling the players to F off, we're doing it my way. the LB's and DB's are the only ones good and getting to the QB, but the rest of the DB's and LB's aren't good at covering the WR's/TE's.
  4. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Great thread and points. I understand Tucker wanting to appese the Players but it is obvious that it isn't working. He needs to say we're doing it this way and we're doing it now. We CAN'T PLAY THE COVER TWO ANYMORE!!!!

We need to draft a QB BAD next year! Also McCown didn't look horrible today.
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,611 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    668ß
    At least we KNOW Trestman can coach an offense. Does anyone think McCown would've done this under Martz? No, and the fact that Trestman said he wouldn't change his game plan, even though we had our backup QB in tells you, we finally HAVE a good offensive coach.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    Sure would like to know why the Defense is so injured.
  7. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +786 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    I think it's a snowball effect. One guy gets hurt, somebody else steps in who isn't as prepared. That makes injuries more likely. When another guy goes down, then the likelihood increases further. Pretty soon you're moving guys around into positions they've never played before, and it just starts snowballing. I think maybe there's a mental aspect as well - once a few injuries hit, other guys start easing up to avoid injury, and that becomes more dangerous. Purely conjecture on my part.

I'd like to see a medical professional's opinion on the strength training these guys are doing. It seems like most of the injuries are tendons and ligaments. Are the players' muscles getting too strong and massive for the tendons to handle?
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    When tendons and bones get old they break. D=old and broke.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    We are at least a season away from being a solid team that can make a serious post season run. The team was gutted. New players, coaching staff, schemes, playbooks etc. Throw in an especially devastating wave of injuries this season, and of course we're going to have games like today.

Does this really surprise anyone?
  10. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    202ß
    I don't think anyone was surprised that the Bears would struggle this season, but it doesn't make games like this any less frustrating, if you ask me.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    I agree with that. To score 41 points and lose is pretty bitter.
  12. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    99, I'm not surprised we lost. I'm surprised, I mean shocked we scored 41 pts.... & lost!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,579 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    I'll throw this in here, close enough:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4687379/5-things-we-learned-vs-redskins

OCT 20
    8:40 PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

LANDOVER, Md. -- Here are five things we learned in the Chicago Bears’ 45-41 loss to theWashington Redskins:

1. Bears are in serious trouble: There is no excuse for a team to lose a game when its No. 2 quarterback comes off the bench and performs at the level Josh McCown did Sunday. None. McCown and the offense did everything in their power to win the game. But the defense is broken beyond repair. The Green Bay Packers could hang 60 points on the Bears’ defense on Nov. 4. That’s not an exaggeration. It’s hard to envision the Bears beating any of the good teams remaining on their schedule. The bad ones? Sure, that still remains a possibility, but how can McCown possibly play any better than he did against the Redskins, if in fact he is the quarterback for the foreseeable future? Chicago wasted a golden opportunity to move to 5-2, even without Jay Cutler at quarterback. This will come back to haunt the Bears.

2. Defensive help is not on the horizon: The problems start up front for the Bears’ defense. While the safeties had a rough game Sunday, there is just no consistent pass rush. This sounds like a broken record to Chicago fans, but a defense cannot function if the opposing quarterback has all day to throw. Corey Wootton is a maximum effort guy. He is putting it all on the line every week, despite playing out of position at defensive tackle, but he needs help. Julius Peppers was around the ball more in Week 7 (seven tackles), but where are the impact plays? Where are the sacks? Where are the forced fumbles? And I don’t mean just from Peppers. This is a defensive line epidemic. Undrafted rookie David Bass has potential and Stephen Paea looked good before he got hurt, but the Bears have a major need at the position. But with limited salary-cap space, general manager Phil Emery isn’t in a position where he can do much tinkering with the roster. This is a problem that must be addressed in the offseason. Emery was able to rebuild the offensive line in one year; can he do the same on defense?

3. McCown was excellent in the loss: Honestly, this couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. McCown is the ultimate professional. He’s a leader. He prepares every week like he’s going to start. He works hard to master the offense. And we found out Sunday that he still has an above-average arm. McCown gives the Bears a chance at quarterback. That’s all you can ask for from an NFL reserve quarterback. It will get more difficult as the season wears on for McCown, if the Cutler injury is as serious as it looked at FedEx Field, but the Bears do not run the risk of players throwing in the towel on offense. McCown has credibility. The Bears just better hope he can stay healthy.

4. Bears are leaving plays on the field: The demise of the Bears’ defense can be traced back to its inability to finish plays. I thought for the longest time the injuries on the defensive line led to the slide, but it’s alarming how many times the Bears have failed to intercept balls that should be intercepted or whiffed on key tackles and sacks. Here are two perfect examples from Sunday: (1) RG III lobs up a terrible pass that either Chris Conte orCharles Tillman should pick off, but Conte falls down, Tillman stops running, and Aldrick Robinson hauls in a 45-yard touchdown falling backward in the end zone; and (2) Shea McClellin has RG III all but wrapped up on the Redskins sideline but can’t bring him down, so RG III goes on to complete a critical third-down pass for a first down on Washington’s final scoring drive. That’s not a talent issue. That’s an execution issue. Make a play.

5. Brandon Meriweather will never learn: The Bears are so lucky that Meriweather moved on after only one regrettable season in Chicago when he stunk up the joint. But Meriweather isn’t just the Redskins’ problem. He’s the NFL’s problem. We were reminded again Sunday that Meriweather is the most undisciplined player in the league. There is a big difference between delivering hard hits and targeting the head. Meriweather targets the head. He leads with his head. He is the textbook example of how not to play defense in the NFL. Either Meriweather is going to end someone’s career with one of his illegal hits or he is going to end his own career. This will not end well if Meriweather doesn’t change his style. Someone is going to get hurt. I love hard hits on defense; it’s part of the fabric of the game. But Meriweather is reckless. I have no use for a guy like that. Neither should the NFL.
  14. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    When Briggs left the game it all came crashing down like Led Zeppelin.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +786 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    Are you saying the defense is going to California with flowers in their hair? If so, I agree.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,611 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    668ß
    Not a good sign, that on his first defensive snap, Khaseem Greene made a very fineable hit. If he wouldn't have done that, the Redskins would have been stuck at 2nd and long, BUT, the defense gave absolutely 0% reason to think that somehow affected the course of the game.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    I felt the same way. To score over 40 points and lose is a tough one to accept.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    That's the bottom-line. We are at least a year away from being a solid team. We gutted the team. Replaced a lot of players. Replaced almost all of our coaches. New schemes, playbooks, wholesale injuries to key players, and we're still in "recovery" from the damage Jerry Angelo did to the roster. It's an abortion.

We just need to "ride this one out" and yes, it's gonna be a white-knuckle ride this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,579 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    That's my thing JABF, the D is horrible, but there is no depth on that D thanks to the misteps of JA and Lovie via the draft and FA.
    So now w/all the injuries the D is now completely exposed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    +1

I'm beginning to learn that an NFL team is a pretty complex entity. Often I think the fans (me included) think there's a single issue to fix and all is well. But it seems like, in reality, it's a far more complex set of issues. It's a much more multi-dimensional problem, and I don't think it's "fixable" now. It's not like Trestman is going to be able to fix it over a bye week.