5 Free Agency Mistakes Bears Can't Afford To Make............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 5, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    You can't tell me that defense didn't miss Urlacher's on field leadership last year. You watched the same games I did and it was evident by all of the pre-snap scrambling and chaos that was going on. His play may have been declining but not his ability to lead a defense. Players were very unsure and hesitant as far as their assignments and as a result they were often out of position and less aggressive than they needed to be. I also firmly believe without a shadow of a doubt that had Urlacher been making the defensive play calls and Peanut playing CB, instead of Anderson and Bowman in those roles, that Conte would have gotten the proper call and the coverage wouldn't have been blown that led to that last GB TD and being shut out of the playoffs. (not that we would have ever done much there anyway but I hate losing to the Pack for the NFCN title)

I would agree with you that most of the guys on that list are younger than Peanut but not about the better part. How many of them have shut down Megatron twice a year. How many are two or three time Pro Bowlers?(and actually he should have had more than that) How many of them have his talent for creating big turnovers? How many of them are 6'2" and 200lbs and can play the run and pass equally well. In other words how many of them are the "whole package" that Tillman is? I don't think even one of them is. In the final analysis I know what Charles Tillman is capable of an how much trust they can place in him to man that island he plays on. I don't have that same trust in those others and hopefully the Bears recognize that too.

If his play had been on the decline for a few years or is he had a long term history of injuries then maybe I'd agree that it's time to move on from him but none of that is the case. I believe they need to bring him back and give him a "fair shake" on the deal over two years and then, unless a serious injury or a major decline in his play develops, I believe he'll retire. That's my position and it's not gonna change. To impute injuries or a decline in play that hasn't happened yet is both ridiculous and unfair. Further more if they are gonna replace him then do it with a rookie draftee whose 22 years old and not a 28 or 29 year old vet we'll also need to replace in a few years.

2. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    Captain Munnerlyn is 5'8" tall and usually plays the slot receiver when teams use three WR against their defense or the Flanker when they go with two. He doesn't normally play a taller #1 WR like Tillman does. In fact last year or two years ago the Bears thought they had him signed as their NB and at the last minute he decided to stay in Carolina.

So he's roughly the same size as Tim Jennings. Do you really want two 5'8" CBs playing in a conference that has a whole lot of WR that are 6'3" and taller? Not that I necessarily agree but someone here was already carping about paying Jennings so much when he can't cover bigger receivers. Verner is only slightly taller at 5'10" and he's had one really good year out of the 4 he's played.

I'd take either one of them as a NB or even as a CB if we didn't already have one midget playing CB, LOL. But with the trend towards taller big body WRs and the need for taller CBs to cover them if we're getting a new RCB I want one whose at least 6' or 6'1 who can match up with those guys. Peanut is 6'2" and although I'm not a big fan of him in zone coverage Bowman is actually a decent cover corner in man coverage and goes 6'1" and both of them are 195-200lb DBs.

My position with all of these guys is about the same brother. You don't let still productive vets walk until you have their replacement. That's the proper way to restock a team on the fly. If we had already drafted Peanut replacement or knew for certain we could get a kid like Gilbert in the draft then maybe it is time for him to fly but until then I have to say no. Not as long as we're not paying him $6-$8 mil per year. I don't believe it will come to that but as little as $2 mil is far less than he's worth IMHO.

3. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,521ß
    Couple of things...good teams don't hang on to players for sentimental reasons and they don't wait for players to walk off the cliff...they either have replacements ready or find a replacement before that happens. In this case we don't have a replacement ready, but there are some available. Secondly, you kind of contradict yourself...you don't want to sign a 28 or 29 year old because you'll have to replace them in a few years, but you're ok resigning a 34 year old who you will definitely have to replace in a year. Which would you rather have...a player who is 34 and could fall off, or a player who is 25 playing at an equal or higher level? I'll take the latter. Lastly, I don't know what a 22 year old rookie in the 2nd or 3rd round is going to do in the league...I like sure things better.

Like I said...I'm perfectly fine brining Tillman back, but I think we should at the very least look into some of these younger guys.

• Like Like x 1
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,521ß
    Verner has had more than 1 good year. He had a great rookie year, and his last 2 years were very good as well. I've already gone over his accomplishments ranking him in the top 5 in the league when it comes to corners. The guy is legit. Munnerlyn had his best year this year, that much is true, and he graded out positively in every game played, but you're right...two 5'8 corners could be concerning.

5. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,521ß
    Now having said all that...if I had my way I'd bring back Tillman on a cheap deal and sign TJ Ward.

6. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    I'm not talking about a guy at that level. A sure thing would probably need to be a first round pick like Gilbert but it's probably less than 20% likely he'll still be on the board at #14 and we won't trade up so that's probably out.

Actually Tillman just turned 33 (won't be 34 'til next Feb.) and he was still shutting down the best WR in the game and creating his usual quota of turnovers when he got injured so I'd say he still has a couple of good years left in him before the NFL age reaper takes him. So I don't buy the opinion that we'll have to replace him next year. His skills haven't diminished and he been relatively injury free his entire career, last year being an exception. Besides they aren't gonna guarantee him a huge amount of money so if they have to replace his there won't much if any cap hit.

If you can locate a 6' or taller, 195-200lb CB whose an UFA, whose also a two time Pro Bowler and a 2012 All Pro, whose also playing at an equal or higher level than Tillman and can create turnovers almost at will , and you can get him without a huge upfront $$$ commitment or major guarantees for a couple of years then by all means bring him forth. Me, I don't know where that guy is. I'm really not interested in any diminutive CBs playing across from another very good but still diminutive CB.

I'm not saying not to look but if we're gonna do anything then sign Tillman for two years and replace Bowman if there a guy whose better than he is. Then draft a young guy high enough in the draft to make certain he has the stuff to replace him which probably means a 1st or 2nd round pick. It's just that this year the needs are bigger on the DLine and at Safety so next year they can probably draft a CB higher than they can this year. If the kid is ready to start over Peanut THEN you cut him but as it stands I really, really, really don't see his equal out there somewhere in FA just waiting to fall into out laps.

Peace :cheers:

• Like Like x 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,521ß
    Even first rounders are not sure things, especially at corner. You state Tillman has been injury free...don't you think that's gonna creep up on him, especially in later years? Don't you think maybe last year was the beginning of that? 5'10" isn't diminutive when you're physical, have great vertical ability and unbelievable ball skills. Time will tell...and we'll jugs have to wait and see what happens.

8. short faced bear

short faced bear
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    889ß
    I would think Peanut has more tread on the tire so to speak than a Champ Bailey. Peanut isn't coming off a ACL injury or foot like Champ. It would be a much different conversation if we had Tillman's successor in place but we don't. The back end of Mel's D will look like the front if you put Jennings or Bowman on the likes of Megatron et al.

9. dabears

dabears
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    Well now that I have just seen that Wootton is coming off an injury I definitely think Emery should try him on the same type of deal as Ratliffe. Or a 1 year "Prove Yourself" deal.

10. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    I would hope so because Champ is 36 going on 37 and he actually got a four year deal from Denver at age 32 because he was the player then that Peanut is now. The Bears need to be fair with him and he needs to be fair in return and give them some protection against injury like they wrote into Garza's deal.

I'm fully in favor of that strategy as far as cap management goes. Garza gets a lower base and then a guaranteed bonus for every game he's on the game day roster. With that kind of clause in the contracts of aging players the team gets some cap relief to replace them if they incur a season ending injury.

If a clause like that could have been written into Peanut and Briggs deals then we would have been in a better situation as far as finding replacements. As it was guys like Landon Cohen was about all they could afford. It seems to me that these are details which could be worked out as long as you give the player a fair base to work from that gives him protection too. After all if he's injured it's gonna be on the field where he's doing his job. Even Cutler's deal makes allowances for this.