5 games in...Who's the biggest surprise, who's the biggest disappointment?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    110ß
    For me, surprise would have to be M. Bennett. He's only had one standout season, and many figured it was because he was on the Giants. I was one of them.

Disappointment, would have to be Lance Briggs. He's amazing as a playmaker, but as a playcaller, he leaves a lot to be desired.
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    Surprise: Trestman, MBennett, Alshon Jeffery, entire oline.

Disappointment: Tucker and the entire defense, except Peanut and Jennings.
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Biggest Surprise, Jeffrey

Biggest disappointment... just one? Cutler, the defense, the OL, Forte....... guess I would say Cutler
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Really? With him playing better than last year he is the biggest disappointment considering everything else going on?
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Considering the hype with the QB whisperer.... yeah. He is still making the poor decisions that put us behind a rock. Sure, he led us to a a couple last second wins.... but his mistakes put us in that situation that he needed to get us there.

This game was probably his best game because he did all he could..... but the rest of the team (minus jeffery) decided not to show up
  6. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    hmmm.. Well, I'm seeing progress with him so he is not my biggest disappointment. I would have to say the D is my biggest disappointment. I thought it might drop off, but never saw it happening to this level.
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    there is improvement, you can see that on the 4th quarter drives that win. But those were only needed because he allowed other team to stick around and pull ahead
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    well, I said I see improvement. Don't get that confused with fixed. But because of the improvement, he is not my biggest disappointment. That was my only point.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +168 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    With a totally REVAMPED team in the last two years ...

the fact that we are 3-2 instead of 0-5 intrigues me.

We are going to lose games ... but I didnt expect us to win ANY games.

Lets look at the INJURYS so far.

We are losing too many.
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    259ß
    Surprise Jeffrey

Disappointment Peppers
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    We are doing fine IMO. Detroit was a winnable game. Hell, even this game against NO was if we had only had a good pass rush. With that having gone AWOL, this season is going to be hard. It was never an easy season to begin with and NO is a VERY good team. I want to see how Detroit stacks up to the Bengals. I think they play them in the next few games.

To win games against the good teams, you have to be able to score (not just near the end of the game), and you have to neutralize their QB as much as possible with pressure. We don't have those tools. But I still think we are better off than we would have been and some extra areas have been exposed. I do not think Phil will sit on his hands. expect the team to be even better next year, and this year is not over yet. This team will continue to learn this offense and get better. My real concern is the D.
  12. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Then you either have unrealistic expectations of Cutler or do not understand the word disappointment...

Cutler has never been an "elite" QB and probably never will be. He is a respectable QB though, better than a fair percentage of QBs in the NFL. Cutler is performing, thus far, right around where he has always performed... He's a QB that needs talent around him to be successful, just as any QB does, except he needs more than an "elite" QB does.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Great QBs make their WRs better. They make average WR special.

And no, I do not have unrealistic expectations for Cutler. I expect him to win us games... he has done so. I expect him to win games with last minute drives. He has done so. What I do not expect is for him to need those last minute drives because he put the team squarely behind the 8-Ball and needed to do so to win that game.

Every year it is the same damn excuse for him... get him talent and he will succeed. Good QBs make their talent better. Yes, he is nowhere near as good as Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees... but I expect more out of him.
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +168 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    I think the DEFENSE has been there ... in fact carrying this TEAM in the last two games.

But too many dropped balls in the first three quarters ...

maybe what BEARS need is a 6 quarter game ... when they start to get warmed up.

MEANWHILE ... We have a running attack that is ignored ... and they cant get into the goal line thats why we dont use them ?

How would we know ?

We never use them for anything.

If I want a FAT PAYCHECK for doing NOTHING ... I want to be a CHICAGO BEARS running back outside of Forte.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    110ß
    At worst, Jay's a Matt Schaub type, who will never win the big one. At his best, he might be lucky like Eli and Big Ben (admit it, those two do NOT deserve 4 SB wins between them). At this point in the season, Jay is nowhere near "elite". We'll see as the season goes on, however.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    JJ, I've seen a dangerous tendency by Trestman. As soon as we get behind, he goes into "now we have to pass" mode. While passing has always been looked upon as a way to score quickly, when you are getting yards on the ground, you do it. It's not like we only have a minute to score and you don't have time to pass. We have gotten behind early and have plenty of time to run and score. Hell, when Detroit's only weapon was Sanders, he won many games for them. AP has done the same for the Vikings. I don't get it. When you are behind (and especially when you have time), you score. Using whatever is working.
  17. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +599 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    259ß
    This team has a lot bigger problems than Cutler --on defense. You don't need a HOF QB to win a Superbowl. Unload Peppers and his contract and begin rebuilding.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm not recalling our running game ever really 'working' this year.
    This may sound weird, but he looks depressed out there. I can't figure it out. Even on the sidelines, it's like he's not mentally there. Maybe I'm just making shit up but something is not right.
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    110ß
    I wasn't implying that. Jay, IS, however, fighting against the conservative offensive passing game Trestman has been trying to establish. Look at Matthew Stafford as being just the opposite, especially in the Lions-Bears game. Stafford started off the game VERY mediocre, yet stuck with the dumpoff passes and working the defense. Jay was under duress, but that's no alibi for bad play, because he was avoiding the easier throws, and hasn't stopped this game.
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +168 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Bearsin Houston,

Thats the pisser... whatever is working ... if we only use half of what is working ... what results can we expect ?

Ive seen it too. There is no attention paid to running back to take the heat off of JCut.

Brees had how many RB's rushing compared to us ?

Once N.O. opened that goofy running attack with unknown players and then kicked in the starters we never had a chance as by then they had moved to TE's and ,

jesus christ ... FB's.

They took it to us without any real WR corp whatssoever.