5 games in...Who's the biggest surprise, who's the biggest disappointment?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 6, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 5 / -4
    You also do not trade 2 1sts for respectable qb's, let along another player and pick on top of that. He was not brought to Chicago to be "respectable".

Biggest surpises to me, Long and Mills. Also I figured Jeffery would be good this year, but I never guessed he'd be this good. He has about 50 more yards on 3 less rec's and only 1 TD less then Marshal and 3yards more per rec, he's been a hell of a #2 so far. He's looking like the best pick of Emery's first draft, and in the running for best overall w/Long and Mills.

Biggest disappointment DL, primarily Melton and Peppers. I hope Emery is as good w/D picks in the early rounds as he is w/the O.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    The D line as a whole has been disappointing to me. That's the biggest.

Biggest surprise? If we are going by positive then Jeffrey.
  3. Warlock

Warlock

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Draft picks are a gamble, especially QB selections. Your problem is that you're completely unrealistic with how you view the draft... Culter was a proven, young QB... he proved that he could play in the NFL at a decent level, unlike a rookie mid 1st round QB. As the old saying goes, one in the hand is better than two in the bush... especially when you have a good team that needed improvement at the QB position, it was a calculated risk by the Bears front office. Expecting Cutler to come in and play above the ability that he had demonstrated, is irresponsible at best, especially when the management gave him inferior tools to work with. The FO probably felt that they were close and that Cutler would put them over the top, unfortunately, they were wrong... because the poor drafting finally caught up to them.

Giving up picks for Cutler hasn't been the Bears' problem in recent years, it's been overall poor drafting. For example, missing on the C. Williams and G. Carimi picks (among many others). A team bereft of talent, generally isn't too successful. Thinking that one player is going to compensate for a significant lack of talent is... for lack of a better word... ignorant.

All that said, Cutler was brought to Chicago to be the best QB they've had since Luckman... while debatable, IMHO, mission accomplished. Additionally, Cutler has improved since coming here, I'm ok with giving him the rest of the season before saying that he is clearly the one component of the team that needs replacing... it is a new system, new coach and lots of new offensive personnel; it's going to take them some time to work out the kinks.
  4. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Surprise The O-Line. If you told me if we had started two rookies and they we're doing this well at the start of training camp I would have laughed at well but they have exceeded expectations. I know today was a bit rough but they weren't THAT BAD. Jeffery is a close second.

Dissapointment: Tucker and the Defense minus Tillman and Jennings.
  5. BearJim

BearJim SuperFan

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Actually my biggest surprise is how average the the defense has been, in particular the pass rush. My biggest disappointment has been the play of our special teams. Our best ST game was against the Vikings & we gave up a KO return for a TD. Need I say more?
  6. Warlock

Warlock

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Actually, Cutler is currently in the top 10 for comp pct, yards, TDs and QBR this season (players with at least 100 pass attempts). He's also about 13 points higher in QBR than Brady atm. Cutler is doing pretty well, even when you factor in the terrible Detroit game.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,271 / 3 / -6
    Oh, he is having a good season, no doubt.

I just wish he wouldn't dig a hole for himself to climb out of
  8. Warlock

Warlock

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Half of Cutler's INTs have come when the Bears were behind, at least 2 of his 3 lost fumbles were when the Bears were behind also... I wouldn't really call that digging himself into a hole... he was already in the hole, he just dug himself deeper.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BearJim

BearJim SuperFan

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I'll also add M. Bennett to the biggest surprise list. He's a weapon we need to use a lot more. Hopefully he can get healthy & be even better. He almost as big of mismatch as Graham is for NO.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +821 / 1 / -0
    I won't go with the obvious choices of DLs or Turner and instead Ill say my biggest disappointment has been the ST units as a whole.

Not only are we not making positive splash plays (Hester has sucked outside of the Minny game) but we are consistently losing the field position battle on punts especially. It's really noticeable how the STs and DL have fallen off a cliff so fast.
  11. ZifanQ

ZifanQ SuperFan

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    Biggest surprise: How much our Oline has improved over one off season. (Cross your fingers and hope that Emery can pull the same thing off on the otherside of the ball!) If I had to go with one person I has to be Mills. 5th rounder starting at RT and doing well? Yea didn't see that coming.

Biggest disapointment? The overall lack of pass rush from the Dline, it's just not good enough. If we wanna go to the playoff this year it's about time they start showing up and play like the actual want to sack the bloody QB. Person wise, it's Peppers. Yes the guy is getting old but still this guy is making some serious money and should still be able to do better what he have.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +729 / 2 / -0
    I did not expect the D to fall off the cliff like this, so I would say that has to be one of mine. I will also say the same about ST. While they have not fallen off as steep a cliff, I expected them to be pretty decent. So I have to put them on my list also. I was going to say Jeffrey, but from what I saw, I kind of expected him to play at a high level. Just too many glimpses of his ability not to think he was going to do well.
    I expected the OL to do well, but not to the level they have. So they are my third.

For me:
    D (-)
    ST (-)
    OL (+)
  13. GBlaze23

GBlaze23

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Biggest disappointment, the defense.

Biggest surprise (I know, fire away), but the offense. Compared to years past in the least. They have a long way to go and need to stop making so many costly mistakes, but lets just project the stat lines for the year if they remain the same. (current stats x 3.2 rounding up to the nearest tenth)

Cutler: 381/570 65.7% 4378 YDS 32TD's 19 int's 230 yards rushing
    Forte: 259 attempts 1200 YDS 10 TD's 86 catches 640 YDS
    Marshall: 99 catches 1210 YDS 10 TD's
    Jeffery: 90 catches 1373 YDS 6TD's
    M. Bennet: 80 catches 899 YDS 10 TD's

Those are pretty good stat lines. The struggles of getting it all together is what is telling of the last few weeks. The team has potential. Should we be doing things differently and being in different situations? ofcourse. Is the O horrible? Not by any means. If they can gel as the season goes on, this is a dangerous group. When is the last time you can say you saw anything even close to those numbers. We just have to wait and see, but its not over by any means chicken littles.
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 5 / -4
    if draft picks are so unvaluable, then why to teams value them so highly; why do the great teams trade for more of them? Why do teams mortage their future to move up in the draft?

Cutler THIS YEAR has a 1 for 1 td to TO ratio, and that has been w/an improved OL, HC/OC/QBC and weapons. Yet still you talk about the past in his defense, is that b/c he has none this year?

You really think JA was thinking, well winning be damned, if he's as good or better then Luckman it was money well spent? Really, you really think that? It wasn't this guy is going to get us to the promise land, he's the type of qb that makes the wr's and ol better like other franchise qb's do? It was just be as good as Luckman? WOW....I've seen people defend Cutler, but none as blindly as this.
  15. phatdude

phatdude

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Agree 100% with these picks.

My MVP for the season would be Tillman, he's carrying the entire defense.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +821 / 1 / -0
    I was all over Jay after the Detroit loss and deservedly so--he sucked and pretty much blew any chance of victory.

But, you can't blame Cutler for the Saints game. He had one turnover and it wasn't on him. That was a jailbreak sack-fumble caused by a blocking FAIL (execution or coach/scheme induced? I say a lot is on the coaches for getting schooled by Rob Ryan's blitz packages in the first half and being slow to adjust).

Jay threw no picks and his receivers dropped several catchable balls (Marshall and Earl especially). Even Forte utterly jacked up a series by whiffing on a pitch for a 2nd and 20. Hard to get anything going when you start 2nd 20 from deep in your own zone. Cutler's surrounding cast was NOT GOOD and that includes Trestmans/Turners crappy play calling.

Considering the well known DL woes, I thought the defense held them reasonable well against a high scoring offense. Ask yourself this:
    If I had told you Saturday night that the D would allow Brees less than 300 yards passing, contain Sproles pretty well, and only give up 2 TDs total to the Saints, would you have gladly taken that deal?

I think we all would have. 3 TDs and 2 FGs (at HOME) wins that game but all we cold manage was 2 & 1. I'm well aware of the D's troubles especially up front, but I think Trestman and the O-weapons (outside of Jeffery obviously) really "dropped the ball" there...literally and figuratively.
  17. Warlock

Warlock

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Draft picks aren't without value, but that value is tempered by the gamble aspect of it.

I'm not blindly defending anyone, I'm merely putting things into perspective. The Bears offense was absolutely putrid without Cutler (i.e. when he broke his thumb), this tells a reasonable person that Cutler does make the other guys around him better... because if he didn't, the offense wouldn't have missed a beat. I'm all for getting a better QB, but I know that it's pretty unlikely and would rather see a team headed by Cutler than go thru another QB carousel. It could very well be another 10 years before we see a QB better than Cutler, especially if you look at the draft success odds of getting an elite QB in the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    Not arguing with you, but Matt Flynn threw for 420 yards and 6 TD's when the Packers were resting for the playoffs against a Lions team that needed a win to be guaranteed a spot.

In other news: I think the defense is actually not as bad as everyone says it is. Against the Lions, Jay was turning the ball over a LOT in his own territory. They had very short fields most of the game. Against the Saints, the Bears started out clunking on offense repeatedly, and spent the majority of the first half on the field, against an offense that moves at will. Now, they're probably not going to ever be confused with the defense of last year, but even THEN, they were getting beaten in games that a good offense would have won us (Seahawks, Vikings, Packers), but there's still enough talent on the team to make it competitive. Basically, I'm putting some blame on the offense, for giving the opponent the ball back so often early in games.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 5 / -4
    Jay on the year is 1 for 1 in TD's to TO's. That's on him. ya the Jailbreak isn't on him, but he again had the ball around his waist, and that happened just last week and it's a big no no, even when running from pressure b/c it's too easy to swipe.

The rest of the game is not on him though. He did recover and played well.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,508 / 0 / -0
    I wonder about the same thing Henry. I sure hope you're right.