5 games in...Who's the biggest surprise, who's the biggest disappointment?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 6, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    276ß
    which is all the more reason to get a legit backup in there, not the washed up hasbeens/never were's that have littered the bears backup qb position. Ya it was bad, but that doesn't mean that if you draft a potential starter as your backup that it's always going to be like that.

Wanna know how good or bad the D is? Ask this, if you had said the Bears would give the Saints the ball twice in their own territory, and just on the other side of the 50, how many would have guessed the Saints would walk away w/6 points? We held a team that the two weeks prior scored 30+ points, after the 40 points given up by Det, who thought the D would hold them to 26?

Go back to Det, D didn't have a good game, but w/out all of Cutty's TO's the Bears D had that team under 20 points, which would have been a seaosn low to that point.

Is the D great, nope, but is it as bad as they've been made out to be? no. They are merely average w/out Jay and the O handing the other team the ball so much. JC is averaging 2 TO's a game at this point, and only has 1 game w/out a TO. JC has to do better at protecting the ball and if he does you'll see a D play much better then they've looked.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Your point about holding the ball too low is a valid one and he does need to clean that up. Beyond that, he had zero chance on that play--the coaches and players both blew the blitz recognition/assignments. I think Forte and Bushrod both whiffed on blindside rushers. A lot of QBs are gonna be sack-fumbled there. That was a cluster-fuck play and so was the other Forte screwup and most of the first half really. I looked up at the scoreboard about halfway thru the 2nd and I think we had something like 41 yards of total offense. Pathetic.

Trestman and Kromer got SCHOOLED by Rob Ryan in that first half. I know RR has done a good job reinvigorating that defense but don't tell me the personnel on that unit (the ones playing, not the ones injured) are that good. They're not. That was a team we could/should have scored 30+ on at home. And beat. I'm still waiting for the Bears O to actually play 4 consecutive quarters of acceptable football. It still hasn't happened. And this week, it wasn't Cutler's fault.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    I keep saying that the coaches can either elevate or depress player performance. Usually, you can see it when a decent group of players is playing much better than they should be (our OL), or when a group is playing below expectations (our D). I am concerned in that it is now seeming to me that the coaches (Trestman included) are seemingly have to "get warmed up" before they catch onto what they should be doing. There is good and bad news there. The bad news is that you would think they would have "gotten" it with their prep time. Those guys put in the hours. Many of the players have said so. Therefore, it surprises me that they don't always come up with a game plan that is effective until they tweak it. Once or twice, maybe... but it is becoming more the norm. The good news is that they DO have the ability to adjust, which we did not see before.

I honestly thought that were Trestman would shine the most would be in those coaching "chess matches" and his preparation. I am not seeing it to the extent that I thought I would. Even when they adjust, it is usually too late. The really good coaches adjust pretty quickly. Not sure if I am on the wrong track here... Just mostly thinking out loud.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Very good points, BiH. In Trestman's defense, he has now coached only 5 NFL games and is still acclimating. And the players are raw in terms of experience with his offense. It takes a good year plus to really know and execute it well.

Now, back to mindless ranting:
    The coaching staff has to get their calls and adjustments together (incl blitz recognition) MUCH FASTER.
    Trestman gets a little too pass happy for me at times. And he runs Forte up the middle too much (when he's not busy forgetting Forte and Bush altogether). He's generally better in space on the edges.
    I'm sick of the O playing ball for only 1 quarter per game and sleep-walking thru the other 3.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Surprise Jeffries, M.Bennett, oline

Disappointments Entire dline, run game.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,846 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    For me, the poor OL run blocking isn't so much a surprise, as it is a disappointment. They just are not getting it done, and what running yards we do see, are either Forte getting yards on his own, or on the edge with WR's blocking.
  7. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I never said anything about the defense... I only said that the draft is a risk and finding a better QB than Cutler is unlikely. The defense has done enough in most games and so has Cutler, the problem has been that they haven't both done enough in every game, good to elite teams are consistent on both sides of the ball... we're not there yet, but have shown the talent to be one of those teams, we just need to execute more consistently on both sides of the ball.
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +444 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Biggest disappointment was hoping see more agressive D with some new wrinkles. The D has become the O of last year. So it goes to Mel Tucker maybe that's why he's not a head coach. Time to get real creative Mel the D line needs some magic. We were told you had worse on other teams, wow us Mel.

Biggest surprise Alshon? No not for me I expected that from him in what he did last year and in his college highlights. That 5th round guy from down where? That's a damn wow! I didn't think Bears were able to get O linemen that far down draft to be rock solid starter over #1 drafts they brought in from years past . Who ever scouted that guy for the Bears should get part of Jays cut for next year.
  9. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Biggest surprise for me has been Alshon Jeffrey and Martellus Bennett. Alshon's developing into a #2 WR nicely and Bennett's doing a good job of making us forget about Kellen "Hands of Stone" Davis.

Biggest disappointment has been the defense. I expected a drop-off with Urlacher gone, but not to this extent. The front 4 aren't getting much of a pass rush at all and they're trying too hard to force turnovers rather than getting the stop. Here's hoping they shore up some of those problems on defense soon.