5 games in...Who's the biggest surprise, who's the biggest disappointment?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 6, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,906ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    You also do not trade 2 1sts for respectable qb's, let along another player and pick on top of that. He was not brought to Chicago to be "respectable".

Biggest surpises to me, Long and Mills. Also I figured Jeffery would be good this year, but I never guessed he'd be this good. He has about 50 more yards on 3 less rec's and only 1 TD less then Marshal and 3yards more per rec, he's been a hell of a #2 so far. He's looking like the best pick of Emery's first draft, and in the running for best overall w/Long and Mills.

Biggest disappointment DL, primarily Melton and Peppers. I hope Emery is as good w/D picks in the early rounds as he is w/the O.

#21 riczaj01, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    The D line as a whole has been disappointing to me. That's the biggest.

Biggest surprise? If we are going by positive then Jeffrey.

3. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    213ß
    Draft picks are a gamble, especially QB selections. Your problem is that you're completely unrealistic with how you view the draft... Culter was a proven, young QB... he proved that he could play in the NFL at a decent level, unlike a rookie mid 1st round QB. As the old saying goes, one in the hand is better than two in the bush... especially when you have a good team that needed improvement at the QB position, it was a calculated risk by the Bears front office. Expecting Cutler to come in and play above the ability that he had demonstrated, is irresponsible at best, especially when the management gave him inferior tools to work with. The FO probably felt that they were close and that Cutler would put them over the top, unfortunately, they were wrong... because the poor drafting finally caught up to them.

Giving up picks for Cutler hasn't been the Bears' problem in recent years, it's been overall poor drafting. For example, missing on the C. Williams and G. Carimi picks (among many others). A team bereft of talent, generally isn't too successful. Thinking that one player is going to compensate for a significant lack of talent is... for lack of a better word... ignorant.

All that said, Cutler was brought to Chicago to be the best QB they've had since Luckman... while debatable, IMHO, mission accomplished. Additionally, Cutler has improved since coming here, I'm ok with giving him the rest of the season before saying that he is clearly the one component of the team that needs replacing... it is a new system, new coach and lots of new offensive personnel; it's going to take them some time to work out the kinks.

4. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    Surprise The O-Line. If you told me if we had started two rookies and they we're doing this well at the start of training camp I would have laughed at well but they have exceeded expectations. I know today was a bit rough but they weren't THAT BAD. Jeffery is a close second.

Dissapointment: Tucker and the Defense minus Tillman and Jennings.

5. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    Actually my biggest surprise is how average the the defense has been, in particular the pass rush. My biggest disappointment has been the play of our special teams. Our best ST game was against the Vikings & we gave up a KO return for a TD. Need I say more?

6. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    213ß
    Actually, Cutler is currently in the top 10 for comp pct, yards, TDs and QBR this season (players with at least 100 pass attempts). He's also about 13 points higher in QBR than Brady atm. Cutler is doing pretty well, even when you factor in the terrible Detroit game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,259ß
    Oh, he is having a good season, no doubt.

I just wish he wouldn't dig a hole for himself to climb out of

8. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    213ß
    Half of Cutler's INTs have come when the Bears were behind, at least 2 of his 3 lost fumbles were when the Bears were behind also... I wouldn't really call that digging himself into a hole... he was already in the hole, he just dug himself deeper.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I'll also add M. Bennett to the biggest surprise list. He's a weapon we need to use a lot more. Hopefully he can get healthy & be even better. He almost as big of mismatch as Graham is for NO.

10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    I won't go with the obvious choices of DLs or Turner and instead Ill say my biggest disappointment has been the ST units as a whole.

Not only are we not making positive splash plays (Hester has sucked outside of the Minny game) but we are consistently losing the field position battle on punts especially. It's really noticeable how the STs and DL have fallen off a cliff so fast.