5 Most Interesting Players to Watch During Chicago Bears’ Training Camp

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 12, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    752ß
    upload_2014-7-12_9-31-30.png

upload_2014-7-12_9-33-1.png

upload_2014-7-12_9-34-33.png

upload_2014-7-12_9-36-3.png

upload_2014-7-12_9-37-5.png
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    752ß
    Surprised about Michael Ford over Carey as back up RB insight but possible. Not something I have seen anyone here post about.
  3. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I think of Ford as the same type of guy as our Adrian Peterson was.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yeah, I'd agree with that list. They're all guys whose careers are either set to take off or hanging in the balance due to an injury or struggles playing well.

I'm a huge Nate Collins fan and this past spring I was actually far more in favor of re-signing him than spending the bigger bucks on Melton. He came back pretty quickly from his injury and was participating in the OTAs while Melton was still sitting it out down in Dallas. Maybe that had a lot to do with how much more seriously he took his rehab than Melton did. Emery seemed to have some criticism of Melton for that very reason. Anyway I think we kept the right guy and I expect him to be the number one guy up in the rotation to sub for both Ratliff and Paea. I like the way he plays. He's quick, he's strong and he's another one of those high-motor types.

McClellin just has too much talent as a football player to not succeed in some fashion this year. They key is finding out how to use him to get the most out of what he can do. He's a playmaker and disrupter so he needs to play in space and they need to keep him as free of blockers as they can. When he has room to move he's really tough to block but when a lineman can get his hands on him and steer him out of the way he seemed to lack any way to disengage. Maybe he's improved that but I'd rather they just found ways to keep him unblocked and let him run free to cause trouble. He's the guy they need to rush and to spy the more mobile QBs we're gonna play like Rodgers, Kaepernick, Newton, etc. the way Urlacher did with Vick when he was with Atlanta. If we ever get a shot at Seattle he's the guy we use to contain Wilson like we couldn't the last time we played them.

To me Michael Ford is a little smaller faster version of Michael Bush. He's got quick feet and he can be a bit shifty in a box but he's no great threat as an open field runner except through his speed. He seems faster than he looks. I think he's pretty much that same North/South type of RB that Carey is but maybe with a little more power. I can't really tell because I haven't seen both at the same time. I don't know whether or not he wins the #2 slot but I think he'll make the team because of his STeams work and because he seems to be a decent RB. Not fancy but effective.

Wilson has already been covered elsewhere and I would be very shocked if he didn't step up and take on that 3rd WR spot and do well. He had good skills even in college and now he has the requisite size to play in the slot so it's just a matter of getting some playing time and gaining Cutler's trust. That's as big a factor in his success this year as anything. If he can get open and make the tough catches he'll see the ball enough.

Vereen has been covered elsewhere too. Until I'm proven wrong I'll keep saying it. I think he's the second coming of Mike Brown and will be a leader in the defensive backfield before too long.
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    752ß
    I thought Carey was suppose to be more a power back than Ford. I liked what I saw from Ford in preseason last year and was glad he made the team. Sounds like the battle for #2 RB may be better than I anticipated as I though Carey would win the #2 battle and Ford would be fending off the others for the #3 spot. If Ford can truely battle for the #2 spot than looks less and less like Lynch will make the squad.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'm just going by what I saw out of Ford last year. To me he was like a miniature Michael Bush. Pretty much a North/South kind of runner with quick feet and enough niftiness to make a guy miss him in the gap.

He doesn't have Forte's elusiveness in the open field but he seems to have pretty good vision and knows how to use his blocks. He actually looked pretty good as a KR and he may get a decent shot at that job whereas CWill is probably more the PR type.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    What no Lynch and Fales?:10 5 135[1]:

j/k. It's as good a list as any. I think I would have replaced Ford w/Bostic though I know that's D heavy, but there are a lot more questions on that side of the ball. Ford is going to have an uphill battle w/Carey for the backup RB role; by all accounts the team wasn't happy w/how Bush played, and even w/that they still gave Ford very few oppertunities; he's like the CornWash of the RB's right now.