5 things we learned during Bears offseason

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Jun 20, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,045ß
    Ratings:
    +1,956 / 2 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I feel the same way, Soul. I'd rather keep both Palmer and Clausen on the regular roster (assuming they keep 3) and send Fales to the PS for a year of tuning up. People can laugh at P and C for their lack of accomplishment but Fales falls far short of even that. He's a 6th round pick from a small school with no NFL experience as even a backup and has reportedly been "raw" ahem ahem which is code for "doesn't know WTF he's doing and has an arm like a overcooked noodle". A year running the scout team getting reps and coaching with Cavanaugh might not be a bad thing. Maybe next year he can compete for a real backup spot.

As you pointed out the two vets combined don't cost much at all and if either one of them shows anything this season he'll probably be gone in FA next spring anyway. The trick will be to take advantage of the PS eligibility that Fales has and the other two don't. DF is probably going to look pretty awful in preseason anyway so that problem may just take care of itself.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    799ß
    Ratings:
    +250 / 2 / -1
    We need a Long Snapper ... is that why we got Groy ?

3. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    832ß
    Ratings:
    +1,978 / 7 / -3

No, we've got two. Hartson, the guy we had last year and Rempel the guy from the CFL we signed earlier this spring. Surely you remember all the posts about bigger Canadian balls don't you?

But I'm not sure it's true. Dem hosers like to brag a lot. :rofl2: Sorry guys couldn't resist. :10 5 2[1]:

Here's some poop on Rempel and our Bears brethren from the Great White North say he's pretty damn good and we're lucky to have him. No matter who we pick the guy has big shoes to fill.
    Player Bio

• Chad Rempel

[​IMG]
    Chad Rempel
    LS #46
    Height:
    6-2
    Weight:
    College:
    Saskatchewan
    Experience:
    R
    Biography

Chad Rempel has spent the last 10 years in the Canadian Football League appearing in games for Winnipeg, Toronto and Hamilton, while also seeing time with Edmonton, who drafted him in 2004, and Montreal. In the CFL, Rempel was a long snapper and wide receiver, collecting 70 special teams tackles, two fumble recoveries and 22 receptions for 283 yards and two touchdowns.
    Chad Rempel has spent the last 10 years in the Canadian Football League appearing in games for Winnipeg, Toronto and Hamilton, while also seeing time with Edmonton, who drafted him in 2004, and Montreal. In the CFL, Rempel was a long snapper and wide receiver, collecting 70 special teams tackles, two fumble recoveries and 22 receptions for 283 yards and two touchdowns.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  4. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß
    Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    It's true.
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  5. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    832ß
    Ratings:
    +1,978 / 7 / -3

Well I'll be damned if some of those guys didn't bring theirs down with 'em. And platinum no less. :36 1 32v[1]:

Those must be some expensive jewels there. Wow. Must be tough to get a pair of jockeys to fit those bad boys huh?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    902ß
    Ratings:
    +2,768 / 8 / -10
    Palmer is barely better than Tim Hasselbeck, if at all. Take off your blinders if you think a dude that got cut multiple times last year is any good. Sorry, you can point to McCown, but he was a major outlier, and expecting that two years in a row is just silly.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,066ß
    Ratings:
    +4,517 / 10 / -8
    let trestman decide. i wouldn't write anyone off yet. they didn't have to bring palmer back this offseason, but did so it's not like they don't see potential in him, and this isn't some fendi hope it works out either.

if he sticks fine, trestman has probably worked his magic again, if not then even trestman's powers have limits. But Clausen is no sure fire upgrade by any standard. Kids got work to do to even be backup quality just like Palmer does, but at least he's healthy.

8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,515ß
    Ratings:
    +1,453 / 4 / -0
    If Palmer and Clausen show equal physical traits in passing the ball, I would not be surprised to see Clausen win out. He is younger and has more game experience. Thus in my opinion a better long term option. I expect them both to be on the active roster and Fales going to the PS.

9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,066ß
    Ratings:
    +4,517 / 10 / -8
    If Fales shows ANYTHING during pre season I don't know that they'll risk him on the PS, if he looks pretty rough then ya to the PS he'll go.

10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,045ß
    Ratings:
    +1,956 / 2 / -0
    If he looks decent (and I mean "rookie decent") in preseason then I agree he probably sticks as the #3 and either Palmer or Clausen becomes the #2 with the loser being the emergency callback Rolodex option. The odds that Fales does indeed look respectable in preseason are pretty remote though IMO.

P & C may be "failed vets" so to speak (as pretty much all backups are) but they're probably going to look downright stellar compared to DF this August. We drafted this guy a full round after Enderle in a class that ended up being pretty weak for QBs. My expectations for him are pretty darn low this year.

• Like Like x 1