5 things we learned during Bears offseason

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Jun 20, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

That could all be true but from my perspective our situation at QB looks far better now than it did when we had younger guys with little or no experience as our #2. Based on what we can afford to devote to the #2 and #3 slots I don't think we can expect to do better than Palmer and Clausen right now. We need to depend on Trestman's system being as "QB friendly" as advertised, his and Cavanaugh's coaching, and the QBs working their tales off to prepare to takeover. That's all we can do for the moment.

It's obvious that it becomes exceedingly more important that we draft and develop our own QBs although having a kid like Clausen is almost as good. He's young and still very much in the developmental stage in some ways but his skill level and experience are above anybody we could have drafted this year or most years as long as we're drafting for that #2 slot.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    As are mine. I think what attracted him to Cavanaugh was his accuracy and his intelligence. To me an NFL QB needs those two traits far more than he needs an absolute gun for an arm.

It would be very shortsighted for us to measure any other QB against Cutler only on their arm strength. Cutler not only has one of the top two or three arms in the NFL but one of the best to ever play in the NFL period. When he told the media in Denver that he believed he might have a stronger arm than John Elway they scoffed until he went out and proved that he wasn't just boasting.

Fales must have some skills and instincts Cavanaugh and Trestman like or the wouldn't have drafted him after Emery had already said that spending a late pick on a QB was almost a waste. Fales was a potential high pick and one point in time and then fell as much because others climbed higher than because he failed somehow. He had good junior and senior years with a 68% combined completion rate and 66 td passes.

This kid is more like Josh McCown in that he can't gun the ball into tight windows the way Cutler does so like McCown he depends on anticipation and timing for his accuracy. That seems to work OK as long as a guy has the kind of receivers we have and a good RB to boot. I think he's got some stuff worth working on but that needs to be done on the PS not at the back end of the roster. He's not ready to play just yet.
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I still am not sure what we have in Fales. Emery even said after the first 3 rounds you are not going to find a starting NFL QB. So yeah Fales is probably not in the vision as the heir apparent to Cutler.

Clausen on the other hand was projected to be a first round pick and ended up going in the top of the second. Clausen appears to have all the intangibles you want but had little or no support when drafted by the Panthers. It kind of reminds me of Rex Grossman. He showed a lot of promise and got drafted by the Bears who had no clue back then on how to develop a QB. Atleast now we have the staff to develop a QB, obviously I do not know how well Clausen will progress and what the future holds, but it seems Clausen was not envisioned as somebody we would sign otherwise drafting Fales just does not make a lot of sense. Fales has little chance of becoming a starter, Clausen may have a chance, and Palmer is already in place. I am starting to think Clausen fell in our laps more than a secret plan. I know Emery wanted a vet to battle for back up but he got a young vet that meets his criteria of a potential starter, and if he saw that coming I have to wonder about the logic in drafting Fales.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,481 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Yeah I think so too, BSB. It will be interesting to see how this "backup QB drama" plays out. There are definitely worse problems to have. Consider just a sort time ago when we desperately paid Jason Campbell $3.5m to be our backup and he sucked hard. Now we have 3 guys to choose from and potentially groom who don't cost that much PUT TOGETHER. It does seem more by dumb luck than design because as you said if it was known there was little reason to draft Fales, a guy by Emery's own admission who doesn't have a prayer of being anything beyond a perennial backup.

At least it will make the preseason mildly interesting to see how they go about sorting it all out. For once we have a surrounding cast and a coaching staff that gives backup QBs a chance to materialize. I'm secretly hoping Fales looks bad enough in exhibition games to store him on the practice squad this year while keeping two vets behind Cutler on the regular roster or callback list. No way should Fales see the field this year in a real game under any circumstances.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think what we have in Fales is exactly what his scouting report says and exactly what Cavanaugh liked in him. He's intelligent, accurate, and knows how to play the game but he has a marginal NFL arm. He's not a guy they were looking at to develop as more than a #2 QB.

Lots of players are drafted from the 5th round on who have little chance of ever becoming starters but they still get drafted because every team needs reserves. There's no less lack of logic drafting Fales for that reason than there was for drafting Leno in the 7th as a reserve OL. So he wasn't drafted to ever be a starter but stranger things have happened.

We just signed Cutler to a 7 year $126 mil deal with $56 mil guaranteed over the first three years so we aren't looking to draft starting material right now, only backups and Fales has that potential just about as much as McCown did or Palmer does. Yes McCown used that to leverage himself into a nice starters deal but realistically I don't think many believe he'll repeat what he did here in TB. I think he can be good but not THAT good.

We knew Clausen was out there and we knew he was still healing from his shoulder surgery so maybe it was a matter of both the timing of him being ready to try throwing again and his willingness to accept a one year deal for short money. I guess all he signed for is $645k. Fales salary is only about $200k less and Clausen has a much better skill set and far more NFL experience. If he makes the team he's a bargain but if ever plays and saves a game or two he'll be the steal of the year.

We don't have much if anything in the way of answers right now other than the names of the three guys going to Bourbonnais to compete as backup QBs. A month after that we'll have a pretty good idea of who the #2 and #3 guys are and if anyone is going to the PS. So pop some corn, grab and beer and sit back and relax. Should be fun to watch our QB competition for a change.

:10 7 5[1]:
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    Its exciting times for sure, but I am not gonna write a blank check either. With Clausen in the fold it seems unlikely Fales will make it to #2. If emery drafted Fales to be #2 then why Clausen. If we knew we were going to sign Clausen then why Fales. That is why I am guessing they did not seee Clausen coming to the Bears or else it was just a precautionary move since Clausen had not yet been signed. Just sayin.....

I think the battle between Palmer and Clausen will be fun to watch, not sure Fales will be in the middle of it though.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I don't see Fales and Clausen as an either or situation or that drafting Fales was a wasted pick. Since Fales was once projected as a possible first round pick it's entirely possible we was the BPA at that point in the draft and also played a position we needed to add to.

Drafting Fales based on a projection of him having the goods to eventually become an NFL level #2 QB doesn't mean he was taken to step directly into that role with no preparation any more than it does with many who are drafted to become #1 QBs. Most of them take time to make the transition from college ball to pro ball too so I've never seen drafting Fales and signing Clausen as being mutually exclusive and I don't know why anyone else would either.

They may be two fairly similar types only Clausen is skilled enough to play today if needed and Fales isn't. One gets a backup role and the other most likely goes to the PS for a year or gets to the be the #3 QB and clip board holder. There's a message hidden in all of this that says maybe they aren't quite as thrilled with Palmer as they claim and they want plenty of competition in camp.