5 things we learned vs. Lions

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 10, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    FWIW.

2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,229 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    289ß
    Well, I have not been impressed with Tucker, so as far as that's concerned, doesn't really surprise me.

As far as the last point, the Bears were trying to give the game to the Lions just as badly as the Lions were trying to give it to the Bears. But apparently we are better at it than they are.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Trestman failed Cutler today too. We could have won this game with Jay having one more week to heal. Then let him come back truly at 100% next week to finish out the season strong. It was "the best of both worlds" if we sit Jay today. Win today with McCown. Win the division the following weeks with a healthy Jay Cutler starting our remaining games & the playoffs. It was all but handed to us gift wrapped today - and we just whiffed on the opportunity. Now the Bears will just watch the playoffs on TV - again.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I just wanna know if Trestman is actually learning from his mistakes. I know Tucker sure isn't.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Still making some bad calls but he's also gone from conceding 40 points to conceding 21 whilst losing more DT's, a starting DE, 2 veteran starting LB's of which 1 is the leader of the defense and a further banged up CB.

We conceded only 21 points to the Lions in a game where we couldn't run the ball and had an injured QB and back up QB so we couldn't control the time of possession. I feel the defense is hopefully doing something right.

Next week is a huge test for both sides of the ball. Coming up against a good QB and running back but in total a bad offense will show us if our defense is up for it or not. And whilst they arent the super bowl champion defense any more Baltimore will still restrict our offense so we have to keep the game low scoring.
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Can we fire both of them? They just blew the whole season today with inept decision-making. And I know this is a personal thing with me, but I just don't like Trestman's style as a head coach. There is something too cold and analytical about him. He doesn't have to get wild on the sidelines like most coaches, but let's see a little passion. And stop feeding us rah rah sugar-coated fake optimistic bullshit in these press conferences.
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,224 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    487ß
    Fire our new HC after a loss halfway through his first season? His "cold analytical" style gets results, especially on offense. Yeah, he screwed up by not taking the easy FG early by going for it on 4th down, but the Lions made the same exact mistake on their next possession, going for it on 4th down and not taking the points, so that little screw up is a push. And yes, he shouldn't have let Jay stay in as long as he did, that is entirely on him.

However, asking the Bears to fire him is beyond ridiculous. And asking to fire Tucker is not much better, since it is also his first season with the team, and he has had nothing but bad luck with all of the injuries on Defense. That does not excuse all of his decisions he has made, but at least grants him a reprieve until the end of the season at least.

This team is one of transition, Emery has built up our offense, and they seem to be responding and putting up results. This is only the 2nd game where we have yet to put up at least 24 points. Our others were 24, 31, 40, 32, 18, 27, 41, 27 and now 19. Its been quite some time since we could reliably put up 21+ points a game, let alone over 30 most games. Trestman is here to stay, and Tucker will most likely be here next season as well. Might as well get used to that.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    So the D playing better in the last 2 games means Tucker ISN'T learning from his mistakes? Wanna know why you might have Tillman cover CJ 1x1, b/c he has ALWAYS covered CJ 1x1 and has normally won those contests. CJ only had 83 yards on 17 targets; ya he had 2 TD's, but it's F'n Megatron and you held him to under 100 yards on 17 targets. Not to mention late in the game they were starting to target other players, had 2 TE's they were using. Cover 1 maybe it's the wrong call, but Tillman on Johnson HAD worked yesterday, and having an extra guy via cover 2 or 3 wasn't going to put a better DB on CJ, Stafford made a great throw and CJ made a great catch look easy, Conte or Wright aren't stopping that play anymore then Tillman is.

As for the rest of the article.

I said last week Cutler should start if healthy, DR's medically cleared him and he told the staff he was ready, you start him. Come 2nd half(b/c of how the 2nd qtr ended) he should have been benched. But I'll say the same thing, if Cutler is healthy he should be starting in Balt, if he isn't McCown should start. Regardless if it's related or not, to think that Cutler didn't have a ankle injury is stupid. It's obvious he hurt the groin also, but the ankle needed to be brought up.

Bears D again kept CJ quite, and while Bush got over 100 yards, he was quite most the game also. Stafford played a good game. But the D kept the Bears in this game you cannot put their final breaking down on them, again this O needs to sustain long drives, in the 1st the team did that, in the 2nd they didn't(tell me again how comp % doesn't matter, 1st half Cutler 60+%, 2nd half 50%, 1st half 3+ min drives, 2nd 2 min or less drives).

Get over the lions and lack of trust, that is quickly becoming a vet team, and losing it's youth, still dirty, but dirty isn't going to cost you games until you have to play teams that are clearly better then you. GB and Chi are not clearly better then them. They are all in the same group and any amount of inj's is going to effect the outcome more then the dirty play or a few missed play calls.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I learned (or reinforced learning) the following on the defensive side:

1) Major Wright is an epic fail. Conte isn't much better but he at least seems to make a play once in a while. The only things I remember about wright this year are bad angles, whiffed tackles, and stone hands. Let him walk in FA this spring.

2) Peanut, I love ya but the time is nearing where you need to move to S. Conveniently a spot may be opening up (see above). I know CJ is one of the best there is, but you are losing a step or two and its time to recognize that CB may not be for you anymore.

3) Mel Tucker needs to be on the same bus outta town with Major Wright in early '14. Yes, this loss was mostly on the O and Trestman. Yes, there's a lot of injuries. And Yes, it's possible for both of those to be true AND for Tucker to still suck.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I'm ready to move on now and try to forget about the two Detroit games. There is plenty of blame to go around to multiple sources. I figure, what are you gonna do, because it's over and behind us.

Time to finish out the season. I am 100% confident Trestman will be a good coach for us. He's learning as he goes this season. In 2014 we can take the training wheels off and see if he can ride like a big boy......especially with Emery supplying him with some talent upgrades where needed.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I think you're ranting in frustration here which I understand even when it's not all that logical. Trestman certainly isn't in danger of losing his job though I agree he didn't shine as HC yesterday or in the decision to play Cutler leading up to it.

One more thing I learned, and this one is probably the most important and on the offensive side of the ball:

I can live with a one-year FT while we groom a rookie QB, but that's it and then move on. Cutler isn't worth a major, long-term contract. He is what he is. A QB with a great arm that can thrill you but with an empty head that often costs you. I know it was a good play by the D but YOU JUST CAN'T THROW A PICK THERE. And we have said that about Jay so many many times.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I agree, JABF. Despite some tactical and strategic errors yesterday, i Still have a lot of faith in him. The evidence of his value is in seeing him turn a career journeyman like McCown into a plausible NFL backup who has outplayed a number of teams' starters. I'd love to see what he could do with a more physically talented but raw rookie.

Cutler, on the other hand, looks like a lost cause to me. I think he's just un-fixable and a turnover machine.
  13. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    This thread seems as good as any for my little rant...

I am not going to go back and look, but I thought the general consensus going into this season was a couple games over .500 and maybe sneaking into the playoffs...and probably be 1 and done at that...winning the division always hinged more on GB and DET stumbling, then on us dominating...

When exactly did the expectations for this team/season charge?

We are not a playoff caliber team...we have at least 3 more loses in our future...I really hope some of you can survive...

Even in the loss yesterday, I see far more positives on offence then negatives...I am far more frustrated by whom we lost too, then how we loss or that we lost...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I can agree with most of that. But I did have us initially as a 10 win team this year. I never foresaw the defense folding like it did this year. I think what frustrates me most, is losing games we should have won. Yesterday we should have won. That does eat at my gut. Also, it kills me when we have "must win" games and we come up short. There has been too many of those type losses in recent years. I hate it.

But I am very positive about the team in 2014. You bring up some excellent points. Next year will be better. Of course I say that every year for the Bears and Cubs.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Only way we won 10 games was IF the team stayed healthy and we caught a lot of breaks. We caught some breaks(rodgers going down) but the inj's are just to much for this team to overcome. All that said, the team could still win 8-9 games, but I never thought this team was playoff ready; albiet b/c I didn't think the O would be as good as it needed, and that the D wouldn't be as dominant(didn't think this bad, but didn't see this many inj's either).
  16. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    McCown should probably start next week against Ravens indeed. That Ravens defense is going to come with full steam and I don't think our Oline will be able to keep Cutler upright.. Cutler tends to hold on the ball a bit to long instead of throwing it again imo. McCown doesn't. I rather have McCown start next week and then have a fully 100% Cutler back.

Jeffery should go to the ProBowl this year along with Marshall. These guys.. double Marshall, Jeffery will make the play and vice versa. Feels so great!

Trestman showing he got them balls and I don't think it was a wrong call to go on 4 and 1. More and more team goes on 4 and 1 this season and the succesrate is around 60% prio to this week. If you risk nothing you gain nothing. What did cost us 3 points in this game won us the game at LF.

Lions is probably going to the playoff and they can thank Shea for that. I really don't think our guys can go undefeated in the remaining games. We'll lost one or two games. Either to Packers with Rogders or to Ravens nextweek. I can't see Lions losing more than two games,. By the time they play Packers I don't think Rogders will be back and then it's "only" Ravens who they might end up losing to. Just gotta hope Big Ben puts up a great show along with Eli.