5-time Pro Bowl safety Adrian Wilson and TE Jeron Mastrud

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ojibway Bob, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Bears sign veteran safety Adrian Wilson
    Posted by Darin Gantt on June 23, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    Adrian Wilson seemed like such a natural fit with the Patriots when he signed a year ago, but he never played a down for them.

Now, the five-time Pro Bowler has a chance to continue his career.

The Bears announced they signed Wilson Monday, along with tight end Jeron Mastrud.

Wilson tore his Achilles in the preseason finale last year, and spent the year on injured reserve. It will be interesting to see if he’s recovered enough to compete for a roster spot.

The Bears aren’t loaded at the position, but Wilson was beginning to look like a situational player before the injury.

Sorry posted it from cell phone
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
  2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +554 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    34, injury? Hopefully they're using him for experience/advice for the young guys.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,714 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
  4. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Hmmmm. OK.:noexpression:

To put things in perspective:

Adrian Wilson was drafted in 2001.
    Our beloved Mike Brown, who we have not seen since 2008 was drafted just a year earlier in 2000 and Charles Tillman was drafted 2 years later in 2003. Good luck Adrian.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,715 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,241ß
    Vet depth on the cheap at Safety and another tall receiving TE to compete. Just filling out the 90 man limit for camp I guess.
  6. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +676 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    357ß
    Wilson's career was already over when he joined New England. I guess he's just here to give some veteran advice and experience, nothing more.

Mastrud's size (6'6'' - 262 lbs.) reminds me of Onobun (6'6'' - 260 lbs.. Give him a try, we got nothing to lose. He can't be worse than Onobun, can he?
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +623 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    501ß
    He probably can't be worse, maybe equal but not worse. I know nothing about him so hopefully he can catch the ball and life will be good.
  8. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Any signing that makes the bears a better team, I support.
  9. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Love the signing, bringing in veteran experience and added competition. He maybe old but any helpful advice for a young rookie, Brock Vereen, is always a plus.

One thing people have to keep in mind is that his career didn't "die" in NE, he had a season ending achilles injury that cause him to not play a single regular season game last year.

I still believe it will be Vereen and Mundy week 1.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  10. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wilson is smart, reliable, hard hitter. But also on the downside of the curve. Maybe he is in shape again and the coaches like him for mentoring some of the younger players. If he can still play he may have some value by adding depth to the secondary, but I think he is a long shot to stick past training camp.

I would rather see a young guy that is going to get better on the roster than an old guy who is going to get worse.
  11. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Hey, think of it this way. At least Mastrud's name is unusual, like Onobun's, and we can have some fun coming up with a good nickname. I don't want the guy to play like a massive turd, but I am going to be ready with some witty names. But you never know, Jeron may end up playing like a big stud.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,715 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,241ß
    One way to look at Adrian Wilson is as the SS equivalent of Peanut Tillman as a CB. Both have played 12 NFL seasons and both are among the best to have ever played their respective positions for their teams. NE would not have signed Wilson last year if they thought that he was washed up.

Unless that Achilles has done what time couldn't he can still play and this guy is like a Brandon Marshall playing SS. He's big and he can hit like a LB plus he'll be a great vet to have around during camp and preseason. Don't short sell his ability to make a team that hasn't got a whole lot of depth at Safety. He is that good or at least was before the Achilles injury.

Mastrud is a big kid whose hung around the league for a bit and is probably the best combination blocker/receiver type TE we could lay our hands on at the moment. More vet competition for camp but also a guy who has an average chance of sticking on the 53 man roster. There aren't a lot of TEs his size hanging around out there so at least we made a move to get someone to take Onobun's place at TE.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +470 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    137ß
    I like the signing because it basically costs nothing and if he's still got something it increases the competition at the position. Plus he was a great safety...so hopefully our young guys can learn a little from him. As for Mastraud...I thought I read somewhere he was rated as one of the best pass blocking tight ends in the league...so theres that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  14. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,173 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    I'm still getting used to the constant upgrading/kicking the tires/sifting through players as opposed to the opposite side of the JA spectrum. Even if both these guys shoot craps I'm still overjoyed we are still not satisfied and want to continually get better.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,715 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,241ß

I know ain't it great! Every time I log on to pick up on news it seems like the Bears have made another move. For the time being keeping some of the guys at positions where talent and depth is thin walking on egg shells is a good thing. There are no gimmes being handed out.

Even if we're only renting some of these guys for a year so what? Players like Wilson, DWill, and Ratliff can help us win a championship and that's what they're in Chicago to do. The see an opportunity. So if we're gonna rent players make 'em the best we can get.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +872 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    397ß
    I agree 100%. If they are an upgrade, hell yeah. If not, it costs us nothing, and maybe just maybe the younger guys pick something up. Even a small trick or two.

This is good, with no bad attached.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I like the signing. If he's 100% healthy he has a good chance to make the team & he would be that big hitting safety we haven't had for years. Although he has around 27 INTs in his career he's more of a box safety that will take your head off & a good blitzer as well. Trestman keeps saying he wants a more physical team & this guy fits the bill to a T.

If he's not healthy he won't make the team & costs us little if anything, as others have said. It's possible that Conte isn't healing as quick as they hoped & we need other safety for TC. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    I gotta wonder if Emery even has a house of his own...I mean the poor guy must not have a life outside of DA Bears.....this guy is Football all the time....its funny cause I have been watching the Vince Lombardi story on NFL network and hearing them talk to his family about his constant absence in the house for the Fudgepackers team makes me wonder if Emery is of the same breed.

BTW thanks to whom ever fixed my title of this thread....I forgot to add the names and couldn't find a way to do it from my phone
    • Like Like x 1