50 Bears rookies arrived at Halas Hall today!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 15, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,801ß
    Ratings:
    +3,629 / 13 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    All great points. Good scouting report, and also spot on with the anticpation. In the majors, they generally like to see you come out of your stance before the ball gets into the end zone. I think that's Mel out there. Probably just a comminucations issue.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    817ß
    Ratings:
    +255 / 2 / -1
    Can these kids beat Seattle or Denver?

SIGN EM !

Oh sure these kids can be SMALL to play for DAA BEARRSSE ...

but what abot QUALITY and CHARACTOR issues?

Some of these kids have been known to use crayons in illegal ways ...

I dunno ... would Cliff Stein sign any of them to a long term contract?

• Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,238ß
    Ratings:
    +2,150 / 7 / -3
    Jackie's posting some in his "This n That" thread. Let's keep 'em there just to make it easier.

4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,578ß
    Ratings:
    +1,474 / 4 / -0
    So if a team has strong starters with no depth is that a good team?

5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    197ß
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Probably could be a good team but doesn't have what it takes to be a great team, in my opinion. I feel like if you want to succeed in the NFL you need quality depth behind your star players. It can't go from HoF potential like Lach to a guy who makes his living on special teams. There's a place for special teamers but it shouldn't go from starter quality to life ST guy across the board. The disparity in talent should be closer than that. Injuries are a part of the game and if you don't have anything behind your starters your team will suffer greatly the moment they leave the field. Even more than guys who can be respectable when your stars go down you want to groom guys who can take over for those starters down the road.

That's just my opinion and of course it's easy to be an arm-chair GM but I think having quality depth is integral to having a well rounded team that's capable of rolling with the punches with injuries come.. and they will come. Look at the only team to go undefeated, they were three deep in super stars at multiple positions. Obviously with the way the league is today it's not possible to do that at every position, but you should strive for quality players in all roles if you ask me. You don't want someone coming in who you know is going to be a huge liability.

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,357ß
    Ratings:
    +4,632 / 4 / -1
    +1
    Injuries are a way of life in the modern NFL. The athletes are bigger and faster. The velocity of these impacts are greater. The explosiveness of movement with athletes (the size of these guys is beyond what we could even imagine 30-40 years ago) put greater stresses on knees, tendons & ligaments. The human body wasn't designed for this - not at this level. So teams have KEY injuries EVERY season now. Quarterbacks drop like flies no matter how we change the rules to protect them. And the rules dictate that players who in past years would have kept playing after concussions, now often miss multiple games. You roll all of this together and you see that a championship quality team HAS to have stellar depth. It's not a "nice to have" but a must have.

Otherwise, a team is just a championship quality team in September. After that it's just a pretender. Injuries eat your season alive if you don't have good depth players. I think Emery is building us better depth. It's just been a longer-term battle for him since Jerry Angelo left him an empty cupboard to restock.