53 Man Roster Updates and Predictions

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by B-ell-y-iot, Aug 17, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    Don't see Marquess Wilson listed there. Have to reserve a roster spot for him unless planning IR.
  2. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Like a lot of these rosters but out side of CWill who else is going to do KR/PR duties?
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,156 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,567ß
    Can't see the Bears carrying 3 QBs
  4. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    You may be right on this. Maybe I missed it but I don't think that Fales got any time against the Jags. If they don't play Fales over the next two games, it could be that they will try to slide him on the PS after clearing waivers.
  5. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    That's a great question. I'm hoping we get some clarity on this issue preferably during practice this week and / or during the game on Friday. My guess is Chris Williams and Josh Morgan. I think Spurlock sucks but I have him penciled in as a wide receiver for the moment simply because the staff hasn't given looks to many of the players on the roster due to their poorly conceived notion that Eric Weems could do the job.

Let me reiterate that Spurlock looks like shit at KR. He "caught" 3 punts last game and 1 kickoff. On the kickoff, he took it out of the endzone and collapsed at like the 15 yard line. He fair caught one punt, attempted to fair catch another one but muffed it, and tried to return one, but got minimal yardage.

I'm hoping they start giving looks to (in addition to anyone else that can catch the fucking ball without muffing it).
    • Ka'Deem Carey (who returned kicks in college before he took over the full time load)
    • Josh Morgan (who's taken 27 kicks in his NFL tenure)
    • Santonio Holmes (who hasn't returned kicks since 2006)
    • Jordan Lynch
    EDIT: Add Michael Ford to the list.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  6. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Michael Ford looked better than anyone on game one at KR, and better than anyone not named Hester last year. Give him a damn shot.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    That's a big wildcard in all this. Hixon was supposed to be that guy (KR/WR). After he was lost, Weems was given a shot. He sucked so I suppose we are down to Spurlock or a RB. I don't think Morgan or Holmes are potential returners, correct?
  8. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +796 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    442ß
    I didn't see Fales on the field at all against the Jags.

Anybody have any thoughts about Nate Collins? He seemed to start out good early on, but in my mind he has been regressing. At this point, I doubt he makes the team unless he comes on strong. No idea how his injury is healing, but he's not the guy he used to be.
  9. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I think Collins is a valuable roster stash. Keep him on the squad and scratch him as he works his way back toward a true 100% and football shape. As we found out last year, it's an important position to carry quality depth at.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,050 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    Regarding kr/pr duties, it's getting time to get this figured out. The regular season is coming fast now. Friday's game is probably the last game that most starters will be allowed to play until the regular season games. I guess the #2 guy can get plenty of work in that 4th PS game though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    When it comes to Ford, everything I've read has said he's had a poor camp. In PS game 1 he ran into Spurlock while "blocking" and he muffed his own return attempt in game 2. Since he's now buried deep on RB depth chart his only chance is to be a ST standout and that hasn't been evident yet (unlike last year). I think his chance of making the final 53 is slim at this point.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RochBear

RochBear Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    That might be a tell that the Bears think real well of Fales and an incentive for some team that is in rebuilding to give him a try. (overthinking?). To be really Machiavellian, put him in in the fourth preseason game with Joe Long on the OL.
  13. RochBear

RochBear Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    I guess I never expected him to look all that good this early in the ACL recovery. Usually said that full on field performance recovers around 18 months and he is at 10 months. I'd hope by the end of the season, when injuries pile up and he might be vital, he would be very near 100%. From the first few games of 2013 we 'know' his 100% level is very good.
  14. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I don't know, he's been first man down the field or Damn close to it on punt coverage an awful lot.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    They won't hold a roster spot now for a player who won't return until October. Once he's ready to return they'll release a player. That's pretty typical if a guy is on IR with a recall provision.
  16. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

If they keep only for that we lose a player somewhere else. If he can do the KOR too he stands a far better chance. This seems to be one of those spots where whether we keep a third QB or not may come into play.

As far as the RBs go Draughn is out classing the pack and you know they won't cut Carey. At best Ford is #4 there so he won't get any carries unless someone goes down. We do need dependable STeam guys though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I don't agree with that. His last preseason was far more impressive than anything I've seen from Draighn , Perry or Lynch this year. He just seems to be doghoused for some reason, which Im sure is valid with Trestman. He just hasn't gotten ticked, either way. Draughn hasn't been impressive in any way running behind a to me 1/2 unit. Perry has been blah and Lynch has exactly one run in the waning minutes worth notice
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    What about Marquiese Wilson at WR.
  19. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Trying to kill Fales?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    From Joe D's interview, it sounds like Spurlock is getting the next opportunity to win/lose the KR/PR job. Joe also stated that Holmes was fielding punts today. Surprisingly, maybe telling of the plans going forward, Ford wasn't mentioned beyond the nebulous "other guys" who they have in mind for KR/PR.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1