7.1 Earthquake off Japan's coast

Discussion in 'Anything But Football' started by jackiejokeman, Oct 25, 2013.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Hey Loki are you and Matts ok ?
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,609 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    213ß
    Here's to hoping
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Benji

Probably nobody else knows who Loki and Matts are ... but we do.

I just hope they are OK.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,045 / 12 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Yea... we're fine. It was up North. Those poor people in the Fukashima are aren't going to ever catch a break.

One of these days, the epicenter of a large one is gonna drop a 100 miles south from the norm, and this area we live in is gonna be fucked. Fortunately, for both of us, the area is at least protected by an inlet so the tsunami's won't be so bad (still bad, but not like 2011 area). We do, however, have a lot of OLD buildings in this area and the resulting quake damage will be pretty bad. Happy to live in newer housing built with quakes in mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Loki thats good to hear. Both of us live in that ring of fire around the Pacific so any time theres a heavy duty one I need to know if everybody is ok.

You and Matts have a Sapporro on me !
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Loki

Ratings:
    +3,045 / 12 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    You betcha.

Well.... maybe an Asahi!
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Loki years ago I had my first Asahi ... it didnt impress me.

Some years later I read an article about Asahi that they brought in consultents.

The consultents advice : change the recipe.

I went and bought the new version and like it ever since.

You and Matts have a Kirin on me !

I like the idea of the Japanese getting off of work with their boss and going to a bar and buying rounds and getting blasted.

Those same rules apply in Austria where my friend told me about it when he worked there.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Loki

Ratings:
    +3,045 / 12 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Consider it done.

HISTORY LESSON!!!

The problem with this is that it was... every.damn.night. It is starting to change as Japanese society does, but up until relatively recently (in the last 5 or 10 years), the societal norm was priority #1 was job and family came in a very distance second. A man could just about do any damn thing he wanted to, tell the wife it was "shigoto" (work), and the family simply had to accept it. This was during an era when employment with a company was lifetime, and the only real requirement for the employee was unwavering loyalty to the company. Even the one day a week the had off (Sunday), they spent on the golf course or something like that. That's all started to change.

Anyhoo... it spawned this situation where you couldn't say "no" to the boss without fear of being thought of as less than loyal to him and by extension the company. Your raises, promotions, assignments were all on the line here. LITERALLY people were being told they didn't get a raise, etc... because they didn't participate in the daily after-work "team" events. And by that, they meant the men drinking until they could barely stand up. Very rarely were the females (all secretaries at the time) invited and if they were, they were expected to keep up and keep quiet because we gonna go hang out at a hostess club. Expected time of arrival back at home was somewhere around midnight, dinner best be waiting, and don't bug me I gotta get up at 5am to get to work tomorrow). Yea, family's were neglected in the name of 'work'. The only really good thing about this was you could tell your boss ANYTHING in this environment and it wasn't held against you. You were expected to be there and drink, but one male could tell another that he was all f****ed up at work, and the next day not a word of it would be mentioned. The males. If A female tried it, it WOULD be remembered. Very much a male driven society at that time.

That's changed in the last 5 or 10 years, but it STILL happens quite a lot. However, people are no longer held accountable for NOT going out with the boss... at least not obviously. Who knows what the bosses think when it comes time to make decisions.

One of the consequences of the family neglect is about 5 years ago there was a huge rise in older marriages and divorces. Once divorce became more common, acceptable and less of a negative for the females, older males would retire after working 30 or 40 years, only to find the wife telling them "The kids are gone, you are retired and I no longer have a responsibility to maintain the house while you work... I'm outta here and I get at least 50% of your retirement benefits". They go their own way, find some menial job (no skills) at a cash register, get 50% of a 35 year retirement package... and leave the man wondering "WTF just happened?. After all, it was work! What else was I supposed to do?". Since they can't clean, cook or even manage a home... they end up depressed and in a funk while all the wives are finally getting a chance to enjoy a taste of freedom.

TL;DR version: Yea, once in a while it's ok to drink with the boss. But it being mandated every night has had it's own unintended consequences.
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Thats one heavy history lesson Loki. I didnt know it was like that ... I assumed they liked to party.

Still the idea of getting off of work and getting blasted with the boss I think every American would buy into for awhile!

America is the most drugged out worker society on the planet ... why is that ? Because we hump it with no time off.

We dont even get the time off with the boss to get buzzed ... if we did we would be fired.