8/6 camp notes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 6, 2013.

1. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I'm wondering if Trestman is going to keep the offense on the field a little bit longer than usual on Friday. This is a big boy offense and these one-a-days mandated by the new CBA hurts new offensive installations.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    I think the OL will be out there longer, not sure about Cutler Marshal or Jeffery.
  3. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If Bushrod isn't playing Friday, I don't want to see Cutty out there longer than normal. That whole line (minus B-Rod) can stay out for the first half for all I care.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    That reinforces what many of us have been suspecting. I favor Wilson>Weems despite the ST thing but if they can't find a roster spot for MW, they're gonna have to do the faux-injury-redshirt game to keep him.

With guys like Bowman, Costanzo, and JAnderson already providing ST ability, do we really need to keep Weems just for that? He adds virtually nothing on O.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    ya and another person said that Weems is a small WR and was having problems w/Cutler throws sailing over him b/c of the taller DB's on him.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    Had Melton standing up playing Rover....first time in Camp but did this multiple times in OTA's. It will be interesting what they can do if they can keep the entire DL and LB's healthy.
  7. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    A D lineman that jumps to bat a ball at that moment is no longer rushing the passer. To stop batting down balls means that they will be continuing with the rush, making Cutler uncomfortable.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/08/06/bears-d-turns-three-batted-balls-into-picks/a6i36t/

Bears 'D' turns three batted balls into picks
    By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:02 p.m. CDT
    BOURBONNAIS — At the first day of training camp, Henry Melton said he likes to make Jay Cutler mad by batting down practices. During Tuesday’s practice, Melton batted a ball to himself and returned it for a score, one of three such interceptions for Cutler.
    “It was luck,’ Melton said. “I just put my hand up and it came to me. It was in the air forever. I just caught it, and scored.”
    Later on in practice, Cutler attempted a throw that Shea McClellin made a spectacular play on, jumping in the passing lane and snatching the pass into his stomach before returning it for a touchdown.
    During the final set of team drills, another Cutler pass was deflected at the line and intercepted by Isaiah Frey. Chris Conte also had a pick-six in 7-on-7 drills.
    The tipped balls create an odd situation for the offense in terms of how they view the play. No one on that side of the ball wants to see three batted balls turned into interceptions, but the D-line is encouraged not to bat the passes, so head coach Marc Trestman said he doesn’t read too much into it.
    “I don’t get caught up in it right now because the pass rushers stop because they don’t want to get in the way, and their hands go up or they jump up in the air for the ball,” he said. “We try to discourage jumping up in the air for the ball so we can complete plays and let everybody go to the ball and finish, but we allow the guys to keep their hands up.
    “Certainly we’re disappointed that we didn’t get the plays off. We hope it doesn’t carry over to the season. It usually doesn’t because those lanes are created, but it’s good to have adversity like that.”
    Cutler told reporters that the offense needs to “remind them again” when referring to the defense avoiding getting in the passing lanes.
    “It’s frustrating offensively because it’s probably not going to happen in a game, but we’ve got to battle through it and we know we’re going to the right guy, going to the right spot, just we’re getting tipped here and there, couple bad decisions,” Cutler said. “But like I said, it’s camp, and we just have to keep working on the things we’re struggling with and keep doing all the good things.”
    While the offense didn’t seem too concerned with the results from Tuesday’s practice that had more interceptions than explosive offensive plays, it sure helped the defense control things.
  9. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    I just think Jay is always going to be a guy who plays better with bigger, stronger WRs who can create additional space in those tight windows with their physicality over speedsters who do it with their feet. It's nice to have Weems as a backup returner, but you have to find more versatility in those backup returners other than ST play. Don't sell Michael Ford short on what he did as part of a return-by-committee to replace Honey Badger last season. I don't know if he's getting reps there with us, but he should. I'd like to carry a speedster fourth back like him over a guy whose ability to play his own position is highly questionable.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    funny how in DA's last stint here he was the tallest WR on the roster, now he's one of the smaller ones. He's 6-2, now there is a 6-3 and 3 6-4 guys, and a 6-5 guy. So no doubt this GM and coaches are trying to surround Cutler w/taller bigger "go up and get it" WR's. Weems and Britton are the only sub 6 foot guys, besides Hester...but he's not on O this year.

Just read on chicagobears.com how Kromer when he was in NO's wanted them to draft Forte, so no doubt the coaches are going to want to use Forte as much as possible. It's amazing how quickly Forte has jumped into the Bears record books too, for a team w/so many good RB's, he's 4th in rushing yards and 3rd in all purpose yards and 3rd in 100yard games.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/08/06/bears-training-camp-notebook-august-6/aei6kt8/

Bears Training-Camp Notebook: August 6
    By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@shawmedia.com - Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:28 p.m. CDT
    The defense was the story during Tuesday's practice with their four interceptions. We also got to see several physical run plays and some work inside the 10-yard line for the offense. Here's a look at some news and notes from the second-to-last practice before preseason game No. 1.
    Cutler Comfort: The passes knocked down at the line certainly make things frustrating for Jay Cutler, and offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer discussed ways they've challenged Cutler by making things uncomfortable. “We’re trying to keep Jay Cutler uncomfortable as we sit here because we're adding more and more plays everyday," Kromer said. "He’ll become more comfortable when he runs the plays a second time. You can see the plays that he does run for a second time because they’re more efficient." Cutler understands how that lack of comfort could help him in games. "I think you try to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. That’s what they want so that the games are easier," he said. "The more pressure they put on us, the more uncomfortable they make it in practice, hopefully the easier the games are for us."
    M.A.S.H. Unit: Julius Peppers, who had hamstring tightness on Saturday night and took Monday’s practice off, was absent on Tuesday, excused for personal reasons. Matt Forte took a rest day. Stephen Paea returned to full-go in practice after being limited on Monday with hip tightness. Earl Bennett is still being evaluated for a concussion. Jonathan Scott (knee) was out after returning to practice on Monday.
    Let's get physical: Though only 5-foot-8, cornerback Tim Jennings can be plenty physical, and he showed that in run defense on Tuesday. He was energized and getting as physical as one can without actually putting a blocker or runner on his back. Marc Trestman mentioned Jennings when lauding the perimeter play on defense: "On both sides of the ball, I thought our effort to the ball was very good, particularly in our defensive perimeter in the back end," he said. "You’re seeing Tim Jennings run all the way across the field to cover a run. You’re seeing Charles [Tillman] do the same thing."
    Quick hits: Despite being listed seventh on the initial, unofficial depth chart, Eric Weems saw some action with the first team. … The biggest play of the day came on a long touchdown pass over the middle from Cutler to Joe Anderson for 50-plus yards. … With Bennett absent, undrafted rookie Josh Lenz took reps as the No. 2 punt returner. Lenz also caught a long pass from Matt Blanchard. Keep an eye on the wideout as a practice-squad candidate. ... Kyle Moore put a devastating spin move on Jordan Mills in pass-rush drills and also blew up a run play in the backfield during team drills.
  12. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think part of it has to do with the fact that he's only played in five college games and obviously is getting up to speed but this is concerning. Regarding the RT job well it's Webb we're talking about.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    problem is I don't think a guy that has only played 5 college games can get up to speed in 4 pre season gams and a camp.
  14. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No kidding!
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    He played a full year of juco football at LT over the 42nd overall pick, Manelik Watson, who was pushed to RT.
  16. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If Long can play, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about his lack of experience at the college level. He's getting pro coaching now. If Kromer is all his rep says he is, he can get this kid playing up to speed. If that was Mike Tice coaching this kid up, I'd say see ya next year. So I think that's the one variable that works out to our advantage taking a raw guy like Long.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    Kromer is used to working w/guys that have had basic college experience, not uber raw I played 1 year of big boy college footall(seriously I played in a flag league, if I then went on to play 1 year of college and then onto the pro's, i'd have as much experience as someone w/1yr of juco.
  18. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Would you also have been born into an incredible, proven bloodline and raised in the church of football watching the greats, eating, sleeping and living football since exiting the whom, or played at the Army All-American game out of HS, or be just as athletic as the guys across the ball from you?
  19. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    +1 I'm with this guy.
  20. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He started only five games but played in way more. Oregon has an O line rotation so he played in almost all of the games last year. Coach Kelly was not happy that he wasn't given another year of eligibility.