A Bears on Hard Knocks Debate................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 10, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Will the Bears get the call for HBO's 'Hard Knocks' this summer?

June 10, 2014, 7:45 pm

[​IMG]

CSN Staff
    As NFL teams prepare to break for training camp next month, HBO could be nearing a final decision for their training camp documentary series "Hard Knocks." A report surfaced in late April that listed the Bears, Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants as the three finalists.

[MORE: Bears a finalist for HBO's 'Hard Knocks']

Chicago is in the running due to a rule the NFL put in place last year. The league is allowed to a force a team to let HBO film their training camp sessions if they meet a certain criteria. The requirements that allow teams to be exempt include: recently hiring a new head coach, a postseason appearance in one of the two previous seasons or has been on the show within the past decade.

The Bears, along with the Steelers, Giants, Buffalo Bills, Arizona Cardinals, Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams all qualify to appear on this season's "Hard Knocks."

[REALTED: Could the Bears be on Hard Knocks?]

The Cleveland Browns, although exempt, were a heavy favorite to be on "Hard Knocks." But on Tuesday, Browns head coach Mike Pettine revealed that the team turned down the chance to appear on the documentary this summer.

Last summer, HBO announced that the Cincinnati Bengals would be their featured team on June 17. If history is any indication, we should know if the Bears will HBO-bound in exactly a week.

Check out what the SportsTalk Live panel had to say about the possibility of the Bears appearing on "Hard Knocks" in the video above.

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/will-bears-get-call-hbos-hard-knocks-summer
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Kaplan thinks it would be funny but then he would. It would give him more material for his show. The others are a little more grounded in their belief that it's a distraction the Bears don't need. This isn't the '85 Bears with a HC with Ditka's personality.

IMHO it will do more harm to this team than good and beyond that the Bears don't want it so why should the league be able to force it on them especially when they've saddled them with a tough schedule to lead off with.

Forcing them to do Hard Knocks is one big BOHICA! :2up: NFL
    • Like Like x 1
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    417ß
    Well if they are forced to do it they should do scripted responses/UNODIR.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Thank God the nfl and hbo won't be weighing soulman's opinion to figure out this one.

Maybe the current Bears roster isn't like the 85 Bears,...well, that's a no brainer, it isn't. And the nfl looks nothing like it did in 85 either.

What we do have though is a pretty high powered offense with a quarterback who could use a media makeover. What better opportunity? His friggin wife was a reality tv star.

Furthermore, we have Brandon Marshall, champion of mental health issues, something that currently plagues society, and Matt Forte, a great player who's name and identity could use a promo boost(not only because he seems like a solid guy but because he flies under the radar a bit considering what a great player he is).

Um, Jared Allen anybody? This guy is dying for publicity. He's one of the greatest defensive lineman of a generation and he's spent how many years out of the way in Minnesota?

This is also a great opportunity to get the young guys on the roster used to the limelight.

This is a great year to do it btw. We don't know how good the Bears are gonna be this year, mostly because of the defense, but we do know they look really solid for the next 3-4. It would be inevitable we get picked next year or the year after if we don't get into the playoffs. Then it might really be a distraction, it will just add to the pressure. This year is exciting, everybody should be pretty loose with the new corps of dmen coming in.

Any controversy will be overshadowed by what's going on with Manziel. He is the perfect cover.

I have other things to say on the issue, for example, about how this sport is already media and identity driven, about how performing in front of the cameras in preseason can equate to performing in front of them come regular play etc.

But I think you get the point.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Oh, did I forget to mention we will get to go inside and watch all of the dudes we've been following for way too long anyways, and see many details of their lives we had no idea about, how (*&^ing interesting that will be.
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +996 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,270ß
    I tend to side with CptHook on this one. We have a bunch of great guys that do a lot for there communities and charities. They do not do it for recognition they do it because they choose to. Some have personal reasons for their cause like B.Marsh and J Allan, others do it like Peanut because he believes in it. Then you have the Rookies and CEO doing it to show the rookies the communities appreciate it and you are never to big to leave your roots.

Then you look at the Character side and we have high character guys on the team. Some with great personalities like M Bennett. I am sure their are many things these guys do, have overcome, or even routines they do we have never heard of. Just B. Marsh and his receivers mini-camp in Florida and how they all enjoy it would be refreshing. While other teams are dealing with assaults and DUI's or illegal drugs we are dealing with charities and team unity.

The basic offense is already known to the league and defenses have all been exposed. I do not believe we have any secret defense coming that will re-write the schemes on defense like the 46 did.

We were just complaining on how under-rated these guys are. What a great way to get some face time.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,331 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,871ß
    I don't really think it's a distraction or will stand in the way if anything. History shows that teams on the show have had good success the season they were on the show.

It's not a reality show where they will do various takes asking them to do a play or cut down day over again. It's just going to be a film crew documenting training camp.

As mentioned earlier, B-Marsh is a champion of Mental Health, Tillman has his cause as well. If the Bears get chosen that could help promote their causes, giving them more exposure, which I personally feel are just some of many causes that are vastly more important than a football game or championship. So IF it is a distraction that is a good thing that can come out of it.

People love idolizing athletes within ever knowing who they really are. They may be a great player, but a true asshole off the field. Or a bad player but a truly remarkable person off the field. This will allow us to actually get to know them a little bit.

In the end, I don't think it will be a distraction. I believe having a film crew not really interacting but just following them around will be a non-factor.

If you agree, great. If you disagree... That's great too. Bear Down!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    I think there is only reason I wouldn't want the Bears on Hard Knocks. If they are and the Bears don't make the playoffs then Soulman will spend the whole offseason telling us how he was right. :10 1 9[1]:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,331 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,871ß
    Super Bowl or bust baby!
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,845 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,062ß
    he'll find something else to talk about how right he was regardless :)

I don't even have HBO and I'd love for the Bears to be on HK's, it's a good group of players, a lot of vets really in it for the wins and not the money right now and that's big. The GM/HC have instilled a culture that should be able to handle HK's.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,192 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    I'd be all for them doing it, and I dont think its a distraction.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Touche' :cheers:

LOL, I'll save you the trouble PB. I already know that it'll be a distraction they don't need and that it COULD have an affect on the early part of the season. Whether or not THAT costs them the playoffs or if it's something else, or if nothing prevents them from doing it I stand by my opinion that it's a bad idea.

Everyone can stack up all of the positives they want to but when it comes right down to it Trestman and Emery are opposed to it and I'll accept their reasoning over everyone else's. It's tough for me to understand how so many can support every other decision the two of them make but then want to go against them on this one.

If it wasn't expected to be a distraction why are they opposed to it and why is Emery doing his level best to make certain the NFL understands that and passes on the Bears in favor of another team? It's not like they're even neutral. If the guys who run my team are that set against it then for whatever reason so am I. Finite'.

PS: It's pretty easy to see from Kaplan's comments that it's the media types who favor it because it makes their jobs easier and I guess that's expected. It's the true fans who should oppose anything that may hurt the team more than they do getting a peak at something they wouldn't ordinarily see despite the fact that it may do some harm. I assume the fans who care more about what happens in January than in July will be the ones in a minority on this issue. I have no vote in this matter so what will be will be.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Oh and one more thing. I wouldn't need to do that if I wasn't right would I. :rofl2:

• Like Like x 2
  14. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    An interesting discussion on teams not wanting to appear on Hard Knocks (Unwilling Participants is the author's title) ...

Unwilling Participants

• Like Like x 3
  15. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +765 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    That's a good read and it makes a helluva lot of sense to me. Jeez, a 24 man film crew? You can't tell me that wouldn't be a distraction. Plus, if guys have questions (especially young guys), they have to feel comfortable asking those questions, and sometimes they don't even feel comfortable asking in front of Vets when they thing it's a "stupid" question. Now throw in cameras and boom mikes and I think there are a lot of guys that will keep their mouths shut when they should be talking.
  16. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    707ß
    The bottom line is this: Anytime you introduce cameras in the locker room, it becomes a distraction. Players tend to get more vocal when a mic is present.

So how is NOT a distraction? It is. There is no way that it isn't. Can the teams overcome the distraction is the issue. Also, who wants their business on the streets? How much smack talk happens on camera? How much inside technique is revealed? Yeah it may come late in the season, but it's still an approved spygate. I can probably make a good case that bill belichick came up with this idea after he got caught.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I kind of liked the author's point towards the end of the article.

If he is correct and none of the teams wants to participate it will eventually doom the show.
  18. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    I've seen a lot of articles talking about how teams don't want to be on the show. Has anyone seen articles about the teams who have already been on the show? Did they hate it? Like it? Did they think it was a big distraction?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,842 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,263ß
    Right. Because teams that make it to the Superbowl dont face intense media scrutiny before the game of their lives...
    • Like Like x 2
  20. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +765 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    There is a pretty big difference between media attention and interviews AFTER a successful season is already in the books and before a big game vs. a huge film crew watching you while you learn. Like I said above, I'm mostly referring to the young guys (rookies and 2nd/3rd year guys) that are only in the second year of their new offense (unless they are rookies), and from the sounds of things an all new (if not, highly revised) Defense.

Imagine those young guys going through a week of practices and meeting at TC and having certain things covered over and over repeatedly. Then, one of those guys still has a question about one of those things that have already been covered over and over. The right thing to do is to ask the question, but he knows he'll probably get screamed at, only now he's on camera. I think a lot of them will simply forgo the question and ask their room mate later, only maybe their room mate has the same question or plays a different position.

The point is, you analogy with media attention before the Superbowl is nothing like having those cameras at training camp. The only similarity is that it's a media camera, but the whole dynamic is completely different, to the point that it's not even comparable.
    • Like Like x 1