A Bears on Hard Knocks Debate................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,470 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    so you have this entire hypothetical of what they *might* do in TC with cameras around them, but thats all it is...a hypothetical.

These are professional athletes. Something as basic as a film crew is not going to distract them from doing their jobs, at least not in any major way that could impact their performances. Most of the rookies will not be full time starters anyway, our first round pick is only going to be used in nickel packages to start, the rest will probably be 2nd or 3rd stringers.
  2. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +737 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß

Whatever, just sharing my opinion, and yes, it's based on a hypothetical condition relative to past personal experiences. It hasn't happened yet, so I don't have any facts.

I thought I read this in someones post in this thread:
    "If you agree, great. If you disagree... That's great too."

By the way, what does it mean when someone says "These are professional athletes"? Does it mean that even though they are only 22 or 23 that they are mature? Does it mean they always make the right choices or that they take their profession seriously? Does it mean they are unaffected by national television cameras? What does it mean?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,470 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    It means that they have dedicated a large portion of their lives to this career path, more so than you or i, and they are accustomed to much of what comes with it (like media, cameras, etc), in ways that you and i are not. I think some of this "oh, they will get distracted" talk is simply projection and a bit of vicariousness (thinking about how WE would react in this situation).

Or, to put it in simpler terms: im sure i would be scared shitless playing in front of 60,000 fans on my first day on the job, but one of these 22 or 23 year olds that has probably played in stadiums of that size or up to 100,000 for years every saturday in the fall, its probably not that big of an adjustment for them. And you can insert pretty much any other facet of "professional footballer" here to the same result...their training and experiences have prepared them for this in many ways.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +737 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    I think you and I simply disagree. That's cool. You could very well be right. I simply think you are giving some of these young guys far too much credit for their level of maturity. They may be used to it, but that doesn't mean they can put it in the background like they should. Some of these guys are completely unaffected, but some of these kids are drawn to the lights of the camera like a moth to a flame while others prefer to do all they can to get away from them. Neither of the latter two conditions are conducive to paying attention at camp and learning what you are supposed to.

Like I've said before, I'm against it, but no one is calling me for my opinion, so if they are chosen, I WILL find a way to land HBO for awhile so I can watch it. I'm just as interested to watch as everyone else, I just hope they pick a different team. I'm certainly not going to go all "BOYCOTT" mode on the whole thing.
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,899 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    916ß
    If none of the teams on the show had success I might agree, but I like looking at the past. While every team is different, past teams have had success. If you are not a mentally strong team you are not going to win anything anyway
    • Like Like x 2
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +759 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    Why do you keep saying Emery and Tres are against this. Do you have an article, I read they would support whatever decision is made and have not seen them state they are against it. If you have read such a statement I would like to read it too.
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,899 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    916ß
    there is this

But he would be
    Emery said the team would have to comply.

Other than that, I don't think I saw him say he didn't want it. Just that there would be other teams who would benefit more
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +759 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß

?????
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,899 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    916ß
    you missing something? Need me to repost it?
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,899 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    916ß
    there is this
    link
    Emery spoke to the media for his pre-draft press conference on Thursday and thinks the Bears already have outstanding coverage in the best NFL city in the league and the Bears won’t benefit as much as other teams, according to Kevin Fishbain of Chicagofootball.com.
    “I think we have a great camp. We have great media. We have fan interest unlike any other city. I think this is the best NFL city in the league, bar none. I think our media is the best in the league, bar none. I think our coverage is outstanding.
    “I think our fans love going to camp to find out more about our players, I think there’s a number of teams that don’t have as much attraction, have as big a base for whatever reasons, their population or their history, obviously, this is a tremendous, historic franchise.
    “I think there will probably be other places that could benefit from it other than the Chicago Bears.”
    Even though Emery hopes the NFL will look elsewhere, the Bears would be forced to comply to a new league rule, because they have missed the postseason the past two seasons and don’t have a new head coach, and they would be an intriguing watch for not just Bears fans, but all of the NFL.​
    But he would be
    Emery said the team would have to comply.

Other than that, I don't think I saw him say he didn't want it. Just that there would be other teams who would benefit more
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +759 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    yep, thats what I read too. No where does he say he does not want it. Its kinda like having a steak or a hamburger. I would prefer the steak but it does not mean I do not like the hamburger
  12. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,899 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    916ß
    Hoping they look elsewhere is the best I can find
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,621ß

Good question and a fair one too. I'd like to see some positive comments from them but lacking any I'm thinking that with the exception of maybe the Cowboys they weren't all that thrilled either. This whole deal is only a minor league money maker for the league and maybe it should just die a natural death. HBO isn't a player as far as the big broadcast contracts are concerned so who really cares if they get stiffed?
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,621ß
    Of course they'll agree to it but I think the word "support" may be a little strong. Several weeks back as the list of eligible teams was produced there was an article or two from Bears beat writers and I think even a national source that said the Bears were hoping to avoid being selected.

So read between the lines. If I'm hoping that I'm not chosen for something that would mean I'm opposed to it and that I'd rather not. Correct? You don't really expect the team to officially buck the league office and embarrass them by coming out in public in any kind of quotable statement do you? This is the Bears not the Al Davis owned Oakland Raiders. We're "plays well with other" while Al was "run with scissors". :lol 027:

What will be will be but nothing is gonna alter my opinion that it's a bad idea .
    • Like Like x 1
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +580 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    286ß
    That's a great point.
  16. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    To me it sounds like he might not have been completely ready for the question; didn't have sufficient time to think it through, especially in some of the sequences where he repeats himself. This would be the typical reaction of any professional figure caught off guard by the media-not burn any bridges, not make any allies. He would of course be caught off guard by this question because he is being asked pre-draft, when his job is likely the most stressful and time consuming.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,621ß
    The main reason I posted this again was so that members here could listen to the commentary of a couple of sportswriters who were guests on David Kaplan's show. I'm not a Kaplan fan because I think he's simply there to stir up discussions. His insights are poor at best.

All that was really important was the debate between them and some of the points that were discussed are the very same ones I've made. The Bears organization really gets no benefit from appearing on Hard Knocks and it may be seen as an unneeded distraction.

Although Kaplan seems enthused about because he's strictly a media guy the writers had a bit more sober viewpoint and what I got out of it was the gist of their thinking was that it wasn't really a positive for the Bears. It may not hurt but it sure won't help anyone but the NFL.

So that's it in a nutshell. No I can't post a quote from Emery or Trestman saying they don't want it and I've already explained why they won't do that. But if people can't read between the lines enough to see that Phil Emery's comments are meant to deflect the decision toward another team who may benefit from the added publicity then there's nothing more I can add.

If you can't read that much into Emery's comments then you must be the guy who when a HS girl turned you down for a date because she had to wash her hair or make jello and thought you still had a chance with her then I feel sorry for you. You just don't get it and you probably never will. Kinda' like ol' Lloyd here.

From Dumb and Dumber;

Lloyd Christmas: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
    Mary Swanson: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
    Lloyd Christmas: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
    Mary Swanson: Not good.
    Lloyd Christmas: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
    Mary Swanson: I'd say more like one out of a million.
    [pause]
    Lloyd Christmas: So you're telling me there's a chance... YEAH!
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +759 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    LOL, originally when I read "there is this", I thought you were giving me another grammar lesson. I did not catch the link part of it. Guess I was tired or something
  19. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    The show is based more upon a documentary then anything else it's not reality show and I don't believe it'll be a distraction.

Of course the show will catch some of the drama that goes on in training camp but that would happen with the crews are there or not.

Being all the way out here in Maryland there's very little chance that I would be able to go to training camp and watch the players, so this opportunity for them to be on hard knocks with absolutely thrill me.

From watching the show in the past it appears that they follow the coaches very closely and a couple of those Bubble Guys, they tend to follow the stars from a distance, not too much intrusion going on.

I tend to believe that the interviews are similar to what you would see in a post game interview.

Call me selfish but I would love to see the Chicago Bears on hard knocks
  20. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    BS and Benj's avatars are so similar I thought someone was talking to themselves for a minute.

Falcons got selected for Hard Knocks so it's all good.
    • Like Like x 1