A Bears on Hard Knocks Debate................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,224ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    so you have this entire hypothetical of what they *might* do in TC with cameras around them, but thats all it is...a hypothetical.

These are professional athletes. Something as basic as a film crew is not going to distract them from doing their jobs, at least not in any major way that could impact their performances. Most of the rookies will not be full time starters anyway, our first round pick is only going to be used in nickel packages to start, the rest will probably be 2nd or 3rd stringers.

2. 4dabers

4dabers
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    692ß

Whatever, just sharing my opinion, and yes, it's based on a hypothetical condition relative to past personal experiences. It hasn't happened yet, so I don't have any facts.

I thought I read this in someones post in this thread:
    "If you agree, great. If you disagree... That's great too."

By the way, what does it mean when someone says "These are professional athletes"? Does it mean that even though they are only 22 or 23 that they are mature? Does it mean they always make the right choices or that they take their profession seriously? Does it mean they are unaffected by national television cameras? What does it mean?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,224ß
    It means that they have dedicated a large portion of their lives to this career path, more so than you or i, and they are accustomed to much of what comes with it (like media, cameras, etc), in ways that you and i are not. I think some of this "oh, they will get distracted" talk is simply projection and a bit of vicariousness (thinking about how WE would react in this situation).

Or, to put it in simpler terms: im sure i would be scared shitless playing in front of 60,000 fans on my first day on the job, but one of these 22 or 23 year olds that has probably played in stadiums of that size or up to 100,000 for years every saturday in the fall, its probably not that big of an adjustment for them. And you can insert pretty much any other facet of "professional footballer" here to the same result...their training and experiences have prepared them for this in many ways.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 4dabers

4dabers
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    692ß
    I think you and I simply disagree. That's cool. You could very well be right. I simply think you are giving some of these young guys far too much credit for their level of maturity. They may be used to it, but that doesn't mean they can put it in the background like they should. Some of these guys are completely unaffected, but some of these kids are drawn to the lights of the camera like a moth to a flame while others prefer to do all they can to get away from them. Neither of the latter two conditions are conducive to paying attention at camp and learning what you are supposed to.

Like I've said before, I'm against it, but no one is calling me for my opinion, so if they are chosen, I WILL find a way to land HBO for awhile so I can watch it. I'm just as interested to watch as everyone else, I just hope they pick a different team. I'm certainly not going to go all "BOYCOTT" mode on the whole thing.

5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,329ß
    If none of the teams on the show had success I might agree, but I like looking at the past. While every team is different, past teams have had success. If you are not a mentally strong team you are not going to win anything anyway

• Like Like x 2
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,253ß
    Why do you keep saying Emery and Tres are against this. Do you have an article, I read they would support whatever decision is made and have not seen them state they are against it. If you have read such a statement I would like to read it too.

7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,329ß
    there is this

But he would be
    Emery said the team would have to comply.

Other than that, I don't think I saw him say he didn't want it. Just that there would be other teams who would benefit more

8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,253ß

?????

9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,329ß
    you missing something? Need me to repost it?

10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,329ß
    there is this
    link
    Emery spoke to the media for his pre-draft press conference on Thursday and thinks the Bears already have outstanding coverage in the best NFL city in the league and the Bears won’t benefit as much as other teams, according to Kevin Fishbain of Chicagofootball.com.
    “I think we have a great camp. We have great media. We have fan interest unlike any other city. I think this is the best NFL city in the league, bar none. I think our media is the best in the league, bar none. I think our coverage is outstanding.
    “I think our fans love going to camp to find out more about our players, I think there’s a number of teams that don’t have as much attraction, have as big a base for whatever reasons, their population or their history, obviously, this is a tremendous, historic franchise.
    “I think there will probably be other places that could benefit from it other than the Chicago Bears.”
    Even though Emery hopes the NFL will look elsewhere, the Bears would be forced to comply to a new league rule, because they have missed the postseason the past two seasons and don’t have a new head coach, and they would be an intriguing watch for not just Bears fans, but all of the NFL.​
    But he would be
    Emery said the team would have to comply.

Other than that, I don't think I saw him say he didn't want it. Just that there would be other teams who would benefit more