A Good Look At Our Run Blocking Scheme (pics)...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,680 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    I found this series of pics showing how well Kyle Long pulls to lead block for a run to the left side of the formation but what the pics also show his how well the new blocking scheme is working at creating diagonal cutback lanes for Matt Forte. It's Armando Allen carrying the ball here but that's unimportant. It's watching how the blocking develops to create daylight for the back.

In this case the play resulted in only a five yard gain but had Allen timed his cut upfield a little better and hit that cutback lane all he'd have is the SS between him an a very long gain. It's the way the blocking is designed to open those lanes that's important because Forte is an excellent cutback runner. This is the same basic scheme the Broncos ran for years that turned late round picks and UDFA's into 1000 yard plus rushers every year.

This is an extremely well blocked play and that's a huge running lane.

[​IMG]

So in the above Long is already beginning to pass the center point of the formation before Allen ever gets the handoff. He's very quick getting over to his spot and picking up his target.

[​IMG]

Here he squares up on the LB and prepares to take him outside to open up the running lane.

[​IMG]

Now engaged with the LB he can easily move him back and to the outside so that even though Allen has overrun the lane he still has an opening to gain yardage between Maneri and Long. A better runner might have chopped his steps and been able to wait just a split second to hit the lane on Maneri's right rather than his left.

Anyway this is a whole different approach to run blocking than Tice was using and so far it seems to be having a positive effect.
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Nicely done soulman
    • Like Like x 1
  3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +342 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Tice's strategy for run blocking was to buy new blocking sleds for the team. "Dahhhh, push the sled,"

"But we suck at drive blocking,"

"Dahhh, push the sled. Look Ma, I'm a coach."
  4. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +537 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    129ß
    "I'm so proud of you, sonny, you're the best coach ever."

"Golly gee, thanks, Ma!"

"Now go out there and tell that nice J'Marcus thanks for bringing me those donuts every week, and you be nice to him too."

"Okay, Ma."

"Be sure to tell him he's good at what he does, you don't want to hurt his confidence, you want to make him think he's better than he is. Then he might start playing better that way."

"But Ma, is that why you've been telling me I'm such a great coach?"

"What??? Oh sonny, you know I love you. I would never be mean to you!"
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Mike and Lovie worked wonders with that old sled. In fact they built it out of plywood in Lovie's garage in 2010. Tice would "salt" the OL boys with his pixie dust and they'd push that puppy all over the practice field:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,680 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    Tice's scheme might have been a good one if Michael Bush was the #1 RB but it wasn't the right one for Matt Forte and you could tell he wasn't happy with it. This scheme will fit his running style much better and it won't hurt Bush either.

The challenge in this one is that the RB needs to learn to read the blocking to see where the daylight is then time a one cut into the hole or the lane and turn on the acceleration jets. Forte is gonna love this because he's good at doing that. What he's not good at is running behind a power blocking scheme that forces him to run through a certain gap. That's more Bush's style.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    I think Tice's scheme MIGHT have been fine...if they had the talent to use it...problem was they had very little talent, which is why we now have 4players from the OL on the team last year, 2 of the starters and 2 backups, and only 1 is starting right now, and he might well get replaced(Garza), if that happens then it's expected that 1 of the backups will be starting. Either way says a lot about how bad the OL was last year that a complete overhaul was necessary.

but w/out question the Kromer system looks like a modern day system and Forte should definately be happier w/not just the system but the players in front of him.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,680 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    The best example of that type of lineman was Carimi which is more than likely why Trestman and Kromer didn't see him as an ideal fit. Webb could do it if cared enough to do it and we had Rachal and EWill and both have a nasty streak and are decent drive blockers but not one of those guys could pass block worth a damn and the only one whose supposedly athletic enough to play in a zone scheme is Webb and he doesn't "get it". Yep, it was just a bad fit all around but this looks and feels much better.
  9. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hardly excellent blocking...

The good

Long does a very nice pull wrap and gets to the playside LB. The playside guard does a good job of getting to the backside LB.

The bad

The backside tackle does enough, but the backside DE migh have run the play down. The WR didn't do a very good job of turning his man out.

The ugly

M. Bennett gets blown-up trying to turn-out the playside DE. The playside tackle also gets blown-up by a freaking LB and pushed into the backfield.

Allen had no chance here, two blockers get pushed into his way and prevent him from following Long into the hole.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    144ß
    Those pics are thing of beauty. Look at line of scrimmage and the last pic. That's why Forte is smiling ear to ear this season. So how many 100 yard games this season?
  11. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,224 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    487ß
    Yeah, the OL looked great in run blocking. The real test will come against the pass rush in the regular season.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    The overall blocking by the starting unit was especially amazing when you consider that we're starting 4 new OL, and our TE is new too - and this was just pre-season. The unit should get better and better as the season progresses. They are already better than anything I've seen in a Bears uniform in years.

I especially liked how Bushrod and Slauson worked together. They match up very well together. Long wasn't perfect, but amazingly good for as green as he is (he is pretty awesome getting to the 2nd level blocks and pulling). Actually, Long and Mills worked pretty well together too.

Yes, it was against the Raiders, but it still looked like poetry in motion to me. I just finished watching the game for the 3rd time tonight. I'm a mighty happy camper. :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Yeah warlock I agree with you this actually shows some good and some areas of improvement needed. OC and PSG get a good push and creates a nice lane for long to stay tight and get the shortest path to the block. What screws this play up is that PST getting blown back into the hole Long just created. PSTE also gets his face crossed and gives a bit of ground that closes the hole further.

Not saying its bad but there is a reason we appeared to gain only a yard.

But yeah it was a good pull.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,064 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    How about the Alshon Jeffery block here? Brandon Marshall was good here too. I liked how our WR's helped with the blocking in these PS games.

I also, loved how Mills cuts his guy down on the Forte run, so Cutler had a clear passing lane to Forte. Beautifully executed, and Forte does the rest.