A lil more about Christian Jones

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Chicago_66, May 17, 2014.

1. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Full story: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05...knowledges-failed-drug-test-works-out-at-slb/

Looks like Reggie Herring is already paying off by helping us secure one of the top UDFA's available. Seems like Emery is creating an environment where players actually want to come, whether it's being traded, drafted, for FA's (UDFA's included). It's sort of like a college program, if you've got a history of winning players are more likely to sign, sometimes for less, just play on your ball team. I'd love for Jones to play his way onto the final 53, he's got the skillset and could be a good starter down the road.

EDIT: Interesting that diluted urine is the same as a fail in the NFL, didn't know that.
  2. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Diluted with what? I mean isn't urine a by product of waste? Wtf I didn't finish high school so maybe we can get an edumacated person to give us ( I really mean me <wink>) and by all means use me.....please use me.... As an example ya that's it.... I do intend to read more about this cause it is prolly good to know next time I enter a marathon.....hahaha ya right lol
  3. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Diluted would be like he drank a bunch of water before the urine test so it was diluted with water and they couldn't get a read. Don't need to graduate high school, just need stoner friends. Basically sounds like he knew he would piss dirty so he tried to drink a bunch of water and flooded his system making it impossible to tell what was in his system so they count it as a fail even though basically they didn't get a read. When you drink lots of water you're trying to clean out your system so you don't have a dirty read but if you drink too much you'll dilute it and in this case that's a fail.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Hmm interesting, do you if they are told to not drink so much water before the combine like a doctors physical? Because they are expected to do alot of phyiscal workouts that maybe he wanted to hydrate beforehand? This was the first year I really paid attention to the combines so I'm a bit ignorant to the whole process..
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +934 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    780ß
    A diluted test means his urine didn't have the requisite levels of creatinine, and specific gravity. They use those markers to determine if urine is human, and not a substitute sample. Your urine could come back diluted and you could still test positive for an illegal drug, but it's more to test the authenticity of the sample. As someone else said, he could have known he was going to test dirty and tried to fluid up, or he could have been drinking lots of fluid base on advice of nutritionists. The combine believe it or not is quite taxing so I wouldn't doubt these guys drink a ton of fluids.
  6. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    This is what I was saying Butkus....these guys know that they are going into this with the need for endurance so they could just be hydrating not understanding that it could ruin there sample? Or is it and should be common knowledge? As I said above I have no idea how big the combine is in the American media but in Toronto it barely is mentioned unless you are watching NFL network
  7. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    Diluted also means the NFL isn't using a top lab, which would be very costly for the NFL. But by not using a top lab the cost falls on to the player, but the NFL doesn't care about the players botton line only the NFLs.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Thanks for chiming in JJ. You're right. In the NFL if you can't prove you're innocence then you must be guilty. It works in reverse to the American justice system because they get to make the rules. If there's even a mere suspicion you've done something wrong then you're found guilty. Once players are in the league they have the NFLPA and an appeals process to protect them but before they're drafted they're on their own. To his credit Jones has accepted the consequences and moved on even though it cost him a lot of money.

Chi explained the process of disguising a prohibited substance so that's been covered. Anyone who has to take a UA knows you can drink a lot of water to flush your system and after a while your urine is mostly that, H2O. It works like that in the rest of the world too. If you've been court ordered to do UAs and they get a diluted test result the law will assume you were trying to hide something and you may end up back in jail. It really is guilty until proven innocent in many cases.

So teams shied away from a kid who last spring was seen as a top draft pick and he probably does have mid round talent so maybe we got a deal here but we're still taking a chance that he's got a problem that won't just disappear. When you know you're gonna be tested for drugs and you fail a test that's not a good thing. Either you're stupid or you have an issue with authority or you have a substance abuse problem none of which ranks high in the traits an NFL team wants to see.
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,288 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,717ß
    Tresty aka Captain obvious, lol... Isn't that how you even get to the draft? by having athleticism as a minimum?
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Is that his way of saying that he plays like Tarzan but has the intelligence of Cheetah?
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    I think you're probably insulting Cheetah here. The guy KNOWS he's going to have to go through a drug screening at the Combine - and he uses drugs. His own position coaches hate him because he's "uncoachable" and he punches one of his teammates - all of this ultimately resulting in a high round draft position going down the toilet for him. Not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer here.
  13. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    If he hasn't learned his lesson by now, he will get educated in a real hurry. If he gets too aggressive in TC, he'll be up against guys like Long or Slausen.