A Little Ancient History From Marshall's Days as a Bronco......

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 6, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,110ß
    Can’t help but think the Marshall saga is far from over

[​IMG]
    By Jason La Canfora |
    Published: August 28th, 2009 | Tags: Brandon Marshall, Denver Broncos, Jay Cutler, Josh McDaniels, suspension

Watching Broncos coach Josh McDaniels have to navigate another tricky situation, this his decision to suspend disgruntled WR Brandon Marshall until Sept. 5 (the rest of the preseason), a few things stuck out to me.

Primarily, it was the utter uncertainty about everything and anything related to the relationship between player and team. McDaniels spoke in the only way he could, about being hopeful that things might change, and being hopeful that they won’t have to take disciplinary action against him again. However, given the tenuous nature of this marriage, I wouldn’t bet on it. Hope is all they’ve got.

I don’t blame McDaniels for speaking as he did and choosing his words carefully; these issues have been lingering for months and if there was any easy resolution it would have been found by now. Even pinpointing the exact sequence of all events that went into this decision is difficult, with McDaniels talking about a “cumulative number of things,” in explaining it. The fact that McDaniels said Marshall was issued a “warning” about his actions prior to Wednesday’s practice, and then Marshall spent that session acting in a thoroughly disruptive manner, speaks to how frayed this is.

And that’s not quickly repaired and the lack of trust at play isn’t going away … at least I can’t see it. So, ultimately, the most prescient words McDaniels uttered could turn out to be when he spoke of an “escalating discipline schedule.” Had he sought for any lengthy suspension here, one that carried over into the regular season, the NFLPA would have reacted harshly. As one source there put it, this isn’t the kind of thing you suspend a guy a month for. But it is certainly another event in an ever-increasing timeline, and it paves the way for a lengthier regular-season suspension — one that would include substantial lost wages as opposed to preseason discipline — the next time something happens out of the norm between these parties. And given the history here, it’s hard to imagine them getting through 17 weeks of the regular season without incident.

With Marshall’s trade value plummeting, and the Broncos not wanting to give him away and acquiesce to another grumpy player (a la Jay Cutler), this could turn out to be an ongoing soap opera for sure.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,110ß
    I found this article while searching for something else and thought I'd share it. This is the Brandon Marshall I knew 5 years ago when he was playing in Denver. Note the reference to Jay Cutler as well. Amusing huh?

I think we really owe a great big thank you to Josh McDaniels for being such a dipshit by managing to alienate two of his best players back to back and ending up trading them both away. If Pat Bowlen hadn't fired Mike Shanahan and hired Bill Belichick's hand puppet to be the Broncos new HC we wouldn't have either Cutler or Marshall right now.

:7 2 202v[1]:
    • Like Like x 3
  3. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

I agree. Its funny how all of the dominoes fell and the stars aligned which allowed the beloved Bears to be fortunate enough to end up with Cutler and Marshall.

With that said, it is an unbelievable 180 degree turn w/Marshall. He went from a troublemaking headcase in Denver to the consummate professional with the Bears.

I cant tell how blessed I feel as a Bears fan to have both Cutler and Marshall.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,110ß
    It's also rewarding to see the difference in the culture that has taken place at Halas Hall since George McCaskey became the COB and Phil Emery was hired as GM. They really have created this feeling of the whole team being a "family" of sorts and once again players want to come here to play. They seek it and want to be a part of it.

I realize some of the members here weren't around then but this is exactly the way players felt about being a part of the '80s Bears although that total concept of the front office and the ownership being involved in that wasn't there. It was more like us against them after Mikey took over. But there was a definite "brotherhood" among the guys and it still exists to this day for many of them.

One thing that struck me as being somewhat unique was the way Phil Emery greeted Kyle Fuller when he arrived after the draft to sign his contract. He and Marc Trestman met him in the hallway on his way in and Uncle Phil didn't just shake his hand. He gave the kid a hug as if to say welcome to the family we're very glad to have you with us. That's a pretty strong statement from your boss.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Agreed. It is unbelievably refreshing to see this organization as a whole doing things the right way once again.

I read an article the other day where WR Josh Morgan who has been here for less than a half a cup of coffee was testifying about how much of a family atmosphere there is within the Bears organization and how he hasnt seen anything close to this since his days in college.

That was great to hear and it couldnt help me wonder if the atmosphere surrounding the Bears could quite possibly end up translating to alot of wins on the field.

Happy players/family atmosphere=intangibles that will translate into winning football.

It builds a player mentality where they will not only do anything it takes in the trenches for their fellow players but also for their coaches and front office as well.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,110ß
    It can't hurt and it should translate that way. In the first company I ever worked for we had that kind of a family environment. Quite a few of us were hired within months of one another. We were all about the same age, very young and also very aggressive, and the company grew and became quite successful while we all worked there. We often partied together on Fridays after work and almost every weekend in the summer we golfed together and usually our President who was the owner was part of the group. Some weekends we'd have two or three foursomes playing. Despite the fact that he was old enough to be our Dad we always called him by his first name and he knew every person in that company by their first name, their wives or husbands, and the names of all of our kids. He was an amazing guy and a great man.

We asked him if he'd sponsor a fast pitch softball team for us and he agreed with the proviso that all of the players on the team had to be company employees or direct family members of an employee like a husband or a brother. With those restrictions we weren't able to just go out and find the best players in town so we were often outgunned in that manner by other teams but we played together so well as a team that we strung city and regional league championships together for nearly a decade. We truly were like a band of brother.

Some of those guys are gone now RIP, but last summer when I was back in Wisconsin I got together with three of my closest friends from those days. We hadn't seen one another in almost 20 years and yet nothing had change (well except for some added pounds and subtracted hair, LOL). Even all these years later it was like that time had never passed. The bonds that we forged then as co-workers and teammates winning against the odds are still a very strong part of every one of our lives and we built friendships will never fail us.

We've lost a few of the guys or their wives to cancer and a few other illnesses but it was such an incredible experience to feel those bonds again after all these years that I'm making plans to go back again this summer. Maybe we can have an old timers game against our kids. They're the ones who are winning games now. LOL, life has come full circle.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I hated the day of Lovie when it was all ST or Defense and to hell with the Offense, today it is more like a family, everyone working together to get the job done.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Sadly companies like that are few and far between. I worked for one in N.J.
    Too bad it WAS in N.J. or I'd still be there. I'm glad thet the Bears have developed that
    same attitude that leads to unbelievable bonds and in turn great success. I can't wait for this to translate to the field.
    :18 1 205:
    • Like Like x 1