A Look at Three MLBs in Rounds 2 and 3....................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 2, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    SHAYNE SKOV ILB, Stanford
    • 2014 Grade: A 6.6 HT: 6'3" WT: 242
    Shayne Skov – Linebacker
    Skov is the most talented of the senior defensive players at Stanford. Skov has been a starter at linebacker since midway through his freshman year in 2009. He injured a knee in the third game of the 2009 season and was given an injury redshirt year. The former five-star recruit has lived up to his lofty high school recruiting status.

Skov has excellent size for a Mike linebacker. He is listed as being 6’3 – 245 and looks all of that. He is a very good athlete with speed, balance, and body control. I would say he can easily run in the low 4.6 area. He has explosive quickness, strength, and power. He is a quick-reacting, instinctive player who finds the ball. He shows strength and power at the point of attack and gets rid of blocks very quickly. He always seems to take good angles to the ball, and when he reaches the play he is an excellent tackler.

He is used to blitz often and is a very good pass rusher. With his quickness and burst, he does an excellent job timing his blitzes and is extremely effective. He can shed on the move and has a quick burst off of blocks to close. In pass coverage, he has the suddenness and hip flex to turn and run in man cover and has excellent awareness in zone. His transition is very good.

Skov is a complete linebacker and can play in any type of defensive system. He can play Mike or Will in a 4-3 or either inside position in a 3-4. His skill set is such that he should play and start right from the get go. He will be a very high pick and a solid contributor as a rookie.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAX BULLOUGH ILB, Michigan State
    • 2014 Grade: B 6.5c HT: 6'2" WT: 252

Max Bullough - Linebacker
    Bullough is a fourth-year senior and a three-year starter at middle linebacker. He has all the tools to be a top linebacker in the NFL. His size is ideal at about 6'3 - 245. He has speed (estimated 4.62), strength, and athleticism. He is very instinctive and consistently around the ball. He can play the run, defend the pass, and rush the passer. He has strength at the point, uses his hands to shed quickly, and a physical tackler. He plays a very aggressive game. He has the range and takes the angles to make plays outside. He is not used to rush the passer that often, but when he does blitz, he comes hard and is effective. He does a great job with delays. In pass coverage, he shows he can play zone or man. In zone, he takes good drops and is aware. He has the athleticism and quickness to play man coverage against a back or tight end. Once the ball is in the air, he shows good ball reactions and has good hands.

Bullough can play Mike Linebacker in a 4-3 or be an inside linebacker in a 3-4, He has the traits to play either scheme very well. With his instincts, aggressiveness, and leadership skills, he will take over a defense in short order. He should be a very good first round pick. A player to compare him with is Carolina's Luke Kuechly
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Borland – Linebacker – Wisconsin

Size –
    5113 – 248 – 4.83

Strong Points – Very productive, instincts, shed, defense run, pass drop, zone coverage, effective pass blitzer

Weak Points – Height, very short arms, will miss some tackles because of his short arms, average timed speed, man
    coverage
    2013 Stats – 112 total tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, four sacks

Summation – Chris is a fifth-year senior and a three-and-a-half-year starter for the Badgers. He started the last half of his freshman year in 2009 but then got injured in game three of 2010 and took an injury redshirt. He was a starter from 2011 – 2013. He played the Will linebacker position for Wisconsin in 2013.

Borland is very instinctive and very productive. He is the consummate overachiever. When you look at him, you say that he is not supposed to make the plays that he does. He is short wth short arms and has very average speed. Still, he is athletic and explosive with very good short area quickness and change of direction. His instincts and reactions are so good that it allows him to play much faster than he times.

When playing the inside run, he is quick to react and fill. While he can be slow to shed blocks at times because of his short arms, he is able to slip or avoid blocks with his quickness. He has a great feel for plays and is always around the ball. When playing the outside run, he shows very good anticipation and has the lateral agility and quickness to get to the play.

While he has a large number of tackles, he will miss some because he can’t consistently wrap-up with his short arms. He is a hitter and is very competitive.

In pass coverage, he is best in zone. He takes good drops, getting depth, and has good receiver awareness. He can struggle some in man coverage because he lacks the size and speed to consistently stay with bigger players. As a blitzer, he is effective because he can avoid blocks and times his blitz well.

If Boreland were a little taller and had longer arms he would be a first round pick. While he lacks the ideal physical traits to play at the next level, he is an outstanding football player. In the right situation, he can be a starter and will be productive. Don’t ever count this kid out. He just has too much competitive fire!
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +735 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    695ß
    I like Bullough out of the 2nd tier. HUGE DROP OFF from Mosley though.
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Although MLB is a spot we need some youth and depth to carry on the tradition of great Bears MLBs only one rates a first round ranking. C.J. Mosley, and some would say that he's better fit as an ILB in 3-4 as he played on college or as WLB in a 4-3. The kid could probably any LB maybe just better at one or two than another. Some have predicted the Bears will draft him but if not we will still have the need for a MLB in the next few rounds. These are three who are rated behind Mosley who rate as 2nd or 3rd round picks.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß

Depends on how you define huge. Mosely is rated as a top 20 pick. Skov as an early to mid second and Bullough and Borland as late 2nd or early third. I think that's a fair ranking for each and 2nd and 3rd round players usually become your core starters. If we don't take Mosley I would like to see us jump on one of these guys and being a former Badger I'd love to see Borland playing for Chicago but either of the other two are great fits at MLB as well.

So rather than calling it huge I'd rather say it's a progressive drop off. It's not like the next best guy only rates a 4th or 5th round pick.
  5. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Those numerical ratings are based on how successful they expect a player to be during his pro career and where he would be drafted based on that rating. Of course this is just one source and others may have players rated or ranked differently. It's an inexact science since if a position is weak at the top players who rate a 4th may move into the 3rd and 3rd round guys to the second and so on. QBs are often taken higher than they're rated to go.

I think what this does is give someone an idea of what they can expect out of a player as a pro. So Mosley is the type of guy who should go in the top 20-22 pick, should start day one, and has the potential to become a Pro Bowl level player. The next bunch are mid to late 2nd to 3rd rounders who become your core type of players. Not All Pros but very solid player who can start later in year one or year two.

So when I question the use of the word huge my feeling is that should be better defined. It's not as great a difference in their abilities to contribute as the word might indicate. AP was a top 1st round pick and Matt Forte mid 2nd round pick. AP is the better back but there's no questioning Forte's abilities and contributions to the Bears winning games.

A 6.6 and higher – a player you would draft in the first 2 rounds

B 6.4 – 6.6 – A player you would draft in the third and fourth rounds

C 6.3 – 6.4 – a Player you would draft in rounds five thru seven.

D 6.1 – 6.2 – a free agent

R 4.9 – reject

9.9 – 8.0 – A franchise player in the NFL with NO holes. Has to be able to carry a team at a premium position (QB, Pass Rusher). Has to be a consistently dominant player at the college level and will continue that play in the NFL. Will make a team better and take them to the next level. Has few if any flaws and multiple rare traits. You are lucky to see a player like this once in every 5 drafts.

7.9 - 7.0 - Same as above but at a non premium position. QB’s and pass rushers can be is this level but are not quite as good as an 8.0 or better player. Would be a player you would consider in the top 10 - 12 in any draft.

6.9 – 6.8 – A player who is not quite as talented as a 7.0. Should start early in his career perhaps as a rookie depending on need. Had the potential to ascend into a Pro Bowl type player. Will be one of the better players on your team. Has multiple traits for the position. Can be dominant at times. A top 20 – 22 pick in a Strong Draft.

6.7 – 6.6 - A very good college player who should develop into a solid and consistent NFL player after a period of adjustment. Will eventually start and help a championship team win on a consistent basis. A late first or top half of the second round player. You win BECAUSE of this type of player

6.5 – Same as above but to a lesser degree. Will need a little more time to develop but should become a solid starter. Will be a quality backup his first and maybe his second year depending on a teams needs and strengths but could start earlier if a top team is weak at the position. A late second to third round pick. You win WITH this type of player.

6.4 – A solid college player who has traits to succeed at the next level. He may ultimately become a 6.5 or better player and become a starter. You view this player as a solid backup type. Provides good depth for a championship team and should be able to play in a rotation. A backup with staying power.

6.3 – Will become a good backup type in the NFL. Will never be a starter but will help you if he needs to play. Is a contributor. May eventually work himself into a starters position in time but mostly seen as a backup. If he is a starter he is someone you are looking to replace. You would want to draft this player.

6.2 – A player you would not draft. Still he has the traits to compete for a roster spot or a practice squad spot while in camp. A very solid camp player.

6.1 – Same as above but to a lesser degree.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Ok cool thanks for that Soul...I have not much paid attention to College ball. I used to watch alot of Notre Dame games cause they are always on up here in Canada, but being on these forums with all you die hard fans with all your fancy stats and numbers.....I realize how little I truly I know about my favorite game. So thanks for the homework assignment now I gotta pay attention the the grading of the draftees:4_17_11[1]:
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß

:guinness: Sorry no Moosehead or Molson eh. ;)

The things that I've learned over the years is that there's a big difference in the overall rankings and individual player ratings so when you look at one like NFP creates you find stuff like QB Derek Carr is 15th ranked overall and Teddy Bridgewater 7th overall but their player ratings the same, 6.9. They're both also expected to be top ten picks. Then there's Blake Bortles all the way down at #37 overall with a 6.7 rating yet some think he may go #1 overall! So obviously Houston may rank him much higher. Those rankings are pretty subjective and not worth all that much as a predictor of draft slots.

So I focus on there player ratings and when you do that you get a better idea of the relative success level of one player vs another and as I pointed out above at times the difference isn't as big as it may seem especially since it's top guys who get all the hype. The top guys may have something special about them that boosts them over the others but the impression some might get from when BSB said there's a "huge" drop off his that if we don't take Mosley is the rest may not even make the team. Of course that's nonsense but that's how erroneous conclusion are drawn all the time.

In all honesty the same it true at DT/NT. There are four all rated at 6.8 but who goes first, second, third and last between them depends a lot on whose picking where. The Bears just happen to be one of the few teams in the first 14 who use a 3 tech DT so naturally Donald gets bumped up. If the Bears played a 3-4 and needed a two gap NT then Nix gets bumped up. Both may have stellar pro careers but one fits one type of defense and the other fits another. And behind these guys are other who may not be all that far behind and only lack something that causes scouts and GMs or whoever to rate them slightly lower. If we don't take Donald first and take a guy later he may be rated lower than another guy but he's got better skills as a 4-3 DT. It's like figuring out a huge jigsaw puzzle from the picture on the box.

Like I was saying. It's inexact science so there successes, busts, and bargains to be had in every round we just need as many of the first and third kinds as we can get. :cheers:
  9. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +730 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    Well, thats all very nice, but I lost a lot of faith in these scouting summaries when the last part of Max Bulloughs report said he is a very good 1st rounder and compares to Luke Kuechly. Really? Not even close. In fact, I'm not sure Bullough will even be drafted until day 3.

Of these guys, I really like Shayne Skov and I could honestly see us all being very happy with him as our Mike in a couple of years.

Do any of us know what the hell Bullough did to get suspended from the team for the Rose Bowl? That has been held with greater secrecy than the Benghazi survivors.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Well either it's a typo or his agent wrote the scouting report because even the rating he's given would likely make him a 3rd round pick. And you're right I didn't buy the Kuechly thing either. Now there's guy I wish was in THIS draft with us at #14. I also don't buy into the time he was "estimated" to have run the 40 in. His Combine time was 4.78 and other things I've read about him knock his speed and say he's more of a gap plugger. NFP used to be better than they are now so who knows what to believe.

Borland is the guy I think could be the bargain of the bunch if his size causes him to slide past the 3rd. He's kid like Donald with a high motor and less than perfect size but he sticks his nose in and gets tackles and creates turnovers. Skov might lead the pack of these three but it looks like he's been downgraded because of multiple knee injuries.

But part of me says I'd be surprised if any of them lasted past the 3rd or 4th round at most. There aren't a ton of MLB type guys in this draft so if you need one this is what you have to choose from.
  11. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +730 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    I agree completely soul. I'm really trying to love Borland; I know Mayock likes him a lot and I have more faith in Mayock than any other talking head. I am also concerned about Skovs knee, but I thought it was just one injury; I could certainly be wrong. I do see a bit of a difference in the whole size issue when considering the comparison between DT and LB. At least with the DT position, a little less height provides for naturally low pad level which gives a leverage advantage to the DT. A 6'-4" or 6'-5" OG is going to have a helluva time getting low enough to get the advantage over Donald. I don't think the height issue for a Mike backer is that big of a deal in run defense, but when he drops into middle coverage he is obviously going to have a disadvantage in the passing game. That said, There have been many great Linebackers that have not had ideal height, and we saw a HOFer right here in Chicago with Mike Singletary. like I said, I'm trying to love Borland because he appears to be a real gamer in all other respects and when it comes down to it, those are the guys that win Championships, the guys that leave it all out on the field every game and play the game hard.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    They say Borland is a very smart instinctive player which is a lot of where Singletary's success came from. He also seems to have the kind of motor you like to see out of these undersized overachievers. It's like they know they have to do it with attitude and intelligence and then just will themselves to succeed. I'm not gonna be overly concerned with his height because of guys like Singletary @ 6' and London Fletcher @ just 5'9" who became great LBs.

The kid isn't 1st round material but I doubt he drops any farther than the 3rd or worst case the 4th because of his size. At that level I think you can take the risk. Besides I like Badgers or couldn't you tell. :bah:
  13. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +730 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    And, there is also a guy that went by the name of Zack Thomas that played for the Dolphins that is right about this kids size and type. Five time all pro and a pretty sure bet for the HOF, I used to love to watch him play. Do you recall what Defense they (Dolphins) ran back then? Regardless, there are enough guys to support a chance on the kid and if you watch his clips, I think he plays harder and more aggressive than even Mosley. I dunno, maybe I AM starting to love this kid.:smilebig:
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Thomas and years ago there was Nick Buoniconti who was also a short guy and an All Pro. Borland is another one of those "Grabowskis" Ditka talked about and to me those are the guys you win with. We always had guys on the winning teams like that which other teams cut or passed on and yet they became stars with the Bears because they "fit". That's the way is see a kid like Donald and the same with Borland. Now we'll see what Emery thinks.
  15. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +730 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    Ditto to da bold.

Man, you're going back some for Buoniconti. :smilebig:
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Maybe it's because I do a lot of research but more likely because I go back a long way too. Too long I think. :rofl2: