A Look at Three MLBs in Rounds 2 and 3....................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 2, 2014.

1. 4dabers

4dabers
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    690ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I agree completely soul. I'm really trying to love Borland; I know Mayock likes him a lot and I have more faith in Mayock than any other talking head. I am also concerned about Skovs knee, but I thought it was just one injury; I could certainly be wrong. I do see a bit of a difference in the whole size issue when considering the comparison between DT and LB. At least with the DT position, a little less height provides for naturally low pad level which gives a leverage advantage to the DT. A 6'-4" or 6'-5" OG is going to have a helluva time getting low enough to get the advantage over Donald. I don't think the height issue for a Mike backer is that big of a deal in run defense, but when he drops into middle coverage he is obviously going to have a disadvantage in the passing game. That said, There have been many great Linebackers that have not had ideal height, and we saw a HOFer right here in Chicago with Mike Singletary. like I said, I'm trying to love Borland because he appears to be a real gamer in all other respects and when it comes down to it, those are the guys that win Championships, the guys that leave it all out on the field every game and play the game hard.

2. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,743ß
    They say Borland is a very smart instinctive player which is a lot of where Singletary's success came from. He also seems to have the kind of motor you like to see out of these undersized overachievers. It's like they know they have to do it with attitude and intelligence and then just will themselves to succeed. I'm not gonna be overly concerned with his height because of guys like Singletary @ 6' and London Fletcher @ just 5'9" who became great LBs.

The kid isn't 1st round material but I doubt he drops any farther than the 3rd or worst case the 4th because of his size. At that level I think you can take the risk. Besides I like Badgers or couldn't you tell. :bah:

3. 4dabers

4dabers
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    690ß
    And, there is also a guy that went by the name of Zack Thomas that played for the Dolphins that is right about this kids size and type. Five time all pro and a pretty sure bet for the HOF, I used to love to watch him play. Do you recall what Defense they (Dolphins) ran back then? Regardless, there are enough guys to support a chance on the kid and if you watch his clips, I think he plays harder and more aggressive than even Mosley. I dunno, maybe I AM starting to love this kid.:smilebig:

4. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,743ß
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Thomas and years ago there was Nick Buoniconti who was also a short guy and an All Pro. Borland is another one of those "Grabowskis" Ditka talked about and to me those are the guys you win with. We always had guys on the winning teams like that which other teams cut or passed on and yet they became stars with the Bears because they "fit". That's the way is see a kid like Donald and the same with Borland. Now we'll see what Emery thinks.

5. 4dabers

4dabers
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    690ß
    Ditto to da bold.

Man, you're going back some for Buoniconti. :smilebig:

6. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,743ß
    Maybe it's because I do a lot of research but more likely because I go back a long way too. Too long I think. :rofl2: