A Look Back at the Bears Offseason

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by riczaj01, May 3, 2015.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Thinking back after the season a lot of things seemed obvious. The Bears needed a complete overhaul on the Def as well as coaching and management. Those feelings continued through free agency and onto draft day. The prevailing thought had been WR, RB, OT, OC, and QB, maybe if they traded back, were needs but not as important as NT, DE, OLB, ILB, CB, FS, SS, the reality was the talent wasn't there and the switch to 3-4 were going to make that even more evident. There were questions about OLB's having Houston and Young both hurt and really DE's, and Allen for that matter, then question marks like Greene, Shea, Bass and Washington to back fill the group. There seemed no actual DE's and the NT was extremely thin.

Then free agency happened, and the team went, well quiet signing one big name in McPhee at OLB and then a bunch of much shorter term deals trickled in as time wore on. But what no one seemed to notice was that they transformed the defense, all of a sudden there were two 3-4 DE's, 2 ILB's a CB to complete for a starting job, and a S to take the pressure off Vereen and Mundy. Yet fans still insisted that the defense needed picks early and often. Then before the draft happened there was a 3 day minicamp and some more news came out that most didn't hear about, I know I didn't. Sutton and Ego would also complete for DE time, Ego would also look at being a NT. Shea would start at ILB but could move to OLB, and the depth chart looked a little deeper.

The team really had set themselves up to go with the BPA, no longer did they HAVE to take a edge rushing OLB, or a DE, or a NT or a DB, they could take one if the right player fell but it wasn't required, and that is exactly what they did going BPA right off of THEIR boards, to us some looked like reaches or a little out of place considering the players still on the board but they got the players they wanted and all filled a need. The draft fell seemed to shock many fans, only 2 defensive players taken, in the 2nd and not again until the 5th. the rest of the draft was dedicated to the offense, and every need was filled but QB. They got a WR, a RB, a OC all capable of starting day one, or at least later into the season and they got a high potential project at OT.

Looking at how free agency fell, and how the coaches planned to use the current players on the roster it should be no shock at all that this draft went mostly offense. WR really was a bigger need then anyone wanted to admit the loss of Marshal was never handled and Royal was brought in to move Wilson and the other WR's back down the depth chart. Forte was on the last year of his deal, Carey/Perry was at best an unknown’s, and there are hints that the coaches and HH were not impressed with what they saw from Carey at all; the addition of Rogers only helped to create the start of a running back by committee approach Fox wants. The team was in desperate need of an OC, they hadn't drafted one since Kreutz, Garza was no longer a realistic option and the signing of Montgomery was really only a safeguard in case whoever they drafted wasn't ready day 1.

The draft couldn't have fallen better for the Bears early on. Washington over drafted Schreff and guaranteed the Bears could get a top 5 pick, either Leo Williams, Vic Beasley, or Kevin White. The trade of Marshal to the Jets might have kicked the Bears in the gut as they might have taken White to fill their WR position instead of Williams but we will never know. With the first pick on the board it was going to set the pace, pun intended, for how the rest of the draft would go. They could now get the best OLB/edge rusher on the board, 2nd best in the draft, or the overall BPA, and 2nd best WR in the draft. They went WR, and ignored every edge rusher after that. In the second round the board again fell perfect for the Bears as Eddie Goldman, the 2nd best NT and a real first round talent fell to them again.

The 3rd round is where you saw the Bears draft board start to deviate from most others. They passed on many assumed higher rated talent, but got the 2nd best OC in the draft, some thinking he was the best in Grassu, and followed that up in the forth with Langford while many more talented players were on the board, even some RB's. The next round they went back to the defense for the last time and got S Adrian Amos ignoring other higher rated safeties per nfl.com. He then followed that up w/their last pick going completely off anyone else's radar in drafting Tayo Fabuluje, a highly talented but very raw project of an OT. While it was unexpected considering the CB and S talent still on the board, but it was comforting to know that the only real head scratcher came in the 6th round of the draft and not rounds 1-4, which had become all to common in the last two decades.

Looking back at the draft it was a complete win. The Bears found three starters and two more contributors in 6 picks, amazing. They got at least 2 players from hell in Kevin White and Eddie Goldman, Doug Buffone would be proud of those picks, he wanted the Bears to get White if they could. They also got one project, bust most of that project was because of weight concerns, something he says he's already taken care of. Pace stated he wanted to create competition for the veterans and rookies, he's done just that. This year’s training camp will have true battles, not spoken platitudes about competition like the last two regimes.

Fans didn’t get what they expected, but the Bears got what they needed. Pace stated he wanted to use this draft to build a foundation of the future much like the Saints had done a few years before they won their SB; mission accomplished.

#1 riczaj01, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I'll just say Washington reached on Scherff...not NY...although NY(Giants) wanted him badly.

• Like Like x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Thanks for pointing that out, corrected. Was up all night drinking moscow mules and got up early to walk the dogs, probably should have waited to write this, but the kids and wife were sleeping so I didn't want to lose the quality time. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Solid summation though. As you know I always thought receiver was a need, and I also thought the two receivers available were probably two of the best 5 players available in the draft. You and I are lock step on that one. I really like what Pace has done here so far...I'm pretty freakin impressed.

5. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Thanks, I was just impressed that there were no wtsf draft picks. You can like or not like a player, but you cannot go well that was not a need or that was just out of line w/where he should have went.
    from FA on I figured there would be a lot more O players taken then people would be happy with, but FA set up allow them to go bpa and get key pieces in every early to mid round(1-3) and then pick complimentary pieces in 4-5 and a high upside project at 6. How can not be happy w/3 probable starters and 2 contributors out of 6 picks?

• Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Nice writing Ric. A lot of fans just seemed to overlook or miss completely all of the moves Pace made in FA to add defensive starters. That's what set up his ability to use this very effective BPA approach to this draft. I'm not sure whether they just aren't paying attention of whether they're choosing to ignore it because some of the media is and we both know some of them take every cue they can possibly get from that as opposed to doing their own research and forming their own opinion. You haven't done that and I applaud you for it.

White will start and give us a deep threat with size we've been lacking forever, Goldman will be in the rotation at NT which will allow Fangio to experiment more with Ego and Ratliff at both NT and DT, and Grasu will push Montgomery at OC and may end up eventually starting once he's more familiar with the scheme and lines calls. He's also great depth even if he doesn't start this year. The other three were all safe, high value picks and all three could become starters in another two or three years or even less if injuries force them into the lineup. In the meantime Langford and Amos will work ST duty.

Good analysis and a good read. Glad to see another member who "gets it". :23 28 100[1]: :cheers:

• Like Like x 3
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Thanks Soul coming from you that does mean a lot.

When I look at the DL I see 3 potential NT's Ratty, Goldman and Ego and 6 DE's, Jenkins, McDonald, Ratty, Goldman Ego and Sutton(according to Fox/Pace when they talked about depth chart positions). So you have a lot of flexibility that could help create some confusion along the line.
    OLB's on passing downs McPhee, Allen, Young, Houston and Shea, and on Rushing downs McPhee, Bostic, Houston. For ILB's I think you are going to get a healthy dose of Foster, Jones, Acho with some Bostic and Shea sprinkled in.
    Here is where I honestly think people don't get the draft, CB: Fuller Ball starters, Nickle CB Jennings(when used) and also you have Louis Jean and Hurst, both of which they liked enough to re sign.
    FS was a huge need, and if there is one reason to question why they didn't get a position sooner it's here, but the guys I would have thought they would target were there before during and after they did grab their FS. The S depth even after the draft is thin, Mundy/Rolle starters Vereen Amos backups.

This is not the same D from last year that many thought needed to be revamped during the draft. Only Ratty, Fuller, Bostic and Mundy are likely starters. that's 4 guys, maybe five if you count Houston, but he won't be a DE this year.

New better DC, new better players and yet in some peoples mind the draft still had to go 4-5 D players minimum. It just went against all the evidence that Pace had laid out.

• Like Like x 3
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

If soul would unblock he'd find I "get it" too! Bahahahaha

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

:cheers:

10. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

A look back? Still technically in the off-season.