A n article with some insights into Trestman's schemes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by billatter, Nov 7, 2013.

1. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    and why McCowan was able to step in and perform.

It's a long article about a league, a team and a coach that people here won't have much interest in, but there are some nuggets buried in it that provide hints to the Bears' current success and the future. It contains one of the better descriptions of what it means to have a 'quarterback friendly' offence.

The abridged version: Milanovitch was Trestman's OC in Montreal and now the HC in Toronto. He took Trestman's offensive schemes and instilled them in the Argos. The Argos had been the CFL version of the Bears, a team that relied on its D to win with a history of bad management, drafts, QBs and coaches. Milanovitch inherited a team that was full of holes and bereft of veteran leadership.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Toronto/2012/06/06/19842231.html

This was written before the 100th grey Cup that was to be played in Toronto. After a slow start to the season, the Argos achieved their Hollywood ending. Now if the Bears can do the same . . .

BTW, if Milanovitch wins another cup, look for him to be the next CFL HC to be swiped by the NFL.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    Whatever works, BEARS fans are picky about that.
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    232ß
    Thanks for the post, Canadian dude! :)
  4. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Appreciate the read.

The only thought I had was if Trestman's system looks different for the Defense but the same for the Quarterback, will teams be able to break the code? There, to there, to there... if that doesn't change it does not matter what tricks you pull. Defense will eventually be waiting for you "there."

Now if the progressions are different for every game, (or every half) I can see it. I have a hard time with patterns or figuring out game planning. I am just now trying to "Take my eye off the ball." (Pat Kirwan) However, the more you change it up the more benefits you loose out on.

Team unity was mentioned again. I think this is an underrated aspect of Trestman's coaching strengths.
  5. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    According to the article, the read progression scheme is difficult to learn, but easy to implement once understood. Doesn't sound like something the D could pick up on the fly.

I think the strength of these coaches lie in the way they treat people, provide them with the tools, then expect them to perform.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I think you're right. That's a great way to put it.
  7. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    I think we saw the benefits of this read progression scheme, when McCowan was able to step in without a hiccup. It makes it easier for the backup to run the entire offence and to work smoothly with the receivers without having the game time to establish that much vaunted 'chemistry' thing.

Toronto uses the same scheme and they were able to go on a four game western road trip and win all four with their backup qb. The western road trip is death valley for the weaker eastern division teams, plus there's the travel and time zones to wreak havoc on their bodies. No one gave them a chance to win all four with their starter let alone their backup, including I suspect, their own management, but they did. Their young backup looked like a seasoned vet for most of it. I'm sure this scheme had a significant part to play in both the Argo's success as well as McCown's. It seems to give the coaches a "plug 'n' play" ability with their qbs.

Of course, they still have to execute it . . .
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Wow, do they really play 19 Regular season Games? That is before they go to the playoffs where everyone but the bottom two teams moves on to the playoffs.

They only have 8 teams not 32 so it is a Semi, Final and then Grey Cup.

I have only seen a couple of games on TV, but it looks like a fast paced game that is centered around the QB. The NFL is moving in that direction.
  9. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß

18 games with a bye week. We'll have nine teams next year when Ottawa rejoins and we're trying to organize a tenth down east. It's QB driven league, so if you don't have a good one, it can be a long season. The NFL is definitely looking more CFL-like with the current emphasis on the passing game. The CFL is closer to its Rugby roots so as fans we have to be more comfortable with a game that is less structured and at times, downright chaotic as it can be in the last few seconds of a tied game.

If you like chaos:

and to think they practice and game-plan for this. Notice Trestman on the sidelines . . . If Trestman pulls something really wild out of his hat during the season, you'll have an idea where that sort of thinking came from . . .
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Wow, that was more like kickball.