A possible OL project?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ojibway Bob, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/2...ing-up-for-nfl-scouts-already-lines-up-visits

a 6-5 298 lb Canadian University student had a big NFL contingent to watch his combine... I know that the combine numbers are not solely regarded as a sign of a for sure thing nor am I touting this guy is the real deal but he had good numbers and Chicago was mentioned in the article as having a few people there to watch him. I do not watch any Canadian football but I might try to dig up some tape to watch...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,726 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,256ß
    How we ever gonna sign this guy Bob? That name; Duvernay-Tardiff will never do. Sound like a dish you learn to prepare in a French cooking class. ;)

Besides it won't fit on the back of a jersey. Will he agree to be called Grabowski if we sign him. We're all about Grabowski's. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    106ß
    He's been ranked as the #1 CFL draft prospect.

Personally, I he was available in the middle or later in the draft, I'd take him in a heartbeat.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,123 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    He could be a decent project. We could call him LDT. I see he's projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick.

5. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    just call him DT? iono lol but he is a big boy and we know Trestman likes to look at the CFL from time to time and probably has a few friends watching the Canadian Collegiate football league but seeing some of the other teams mentioned to be watching there are alot of eyes up here in Canada
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,123 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    Rotoworld on him at the EW Shrine game. As agile as he is, with plenty of power/strength.....could he be a center project for Kromer?

7. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    He did play DT his freshman year...???
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,726 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,256ß
    We've done pretty well with Izzy who came from Canada originally. It took him a few years to grow into the NFL game but he hung in there and became a productive guy and still is. Is he even eligible for the NFL draft or would come in as an UDFA?
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,123 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    He's predicted to be a 3rd or 4th rounder in this draft.
  10. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    I was just reading from a Browns site that he is projected to go 3rd or 4th round of the NFL draft
  11. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    DAMN U JABF!!!! lol
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,123 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    422ß
    LOL. We must have posted almost the same instant :-)
    Hey, thanks for posting about this guy. I had not heard of him. But he does sound interesting.
  13. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    no problem...I found out about him in one of the local daily newspapers.....I went through alot to post this...hahah had to find out my daily subscription number, sign up for the online news site, I downloaded the app on my phone then tried to paste the article from my app to the boards, wrong app so I DL another app, no worky so I came home and started it all over again....

I NEEDED TO SHARE THIS WITH MY BROTHER BEARS!!!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  14. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Historically the NFL has always ignored Canadian University football (CIS) as the level of play was too low to produce NFL calibre players (Izzy was a rarity). These days the CIS has improved its programs so much so that NFL teams are scouting the cream of the crop. It's getting to be a problem for CFL teams for if they draft a top player and he goes to the NFL, they receive nothing for their high draft pick. Every year a few of the best get NFL tryouts, especially linemen. Hockey traditionally gets the best of young Canadian athletes, but the big boys get too big and have to turn to football.

BTW, get used to pronouncing and spelling French-Canadian names. Quebec has some great football programs producing championship teams. This guy won't be the last.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Oh ya, this guy played for McGill. Guess where Trestman's Alouettes played their games - McGill. The Bears might have the inside track with him.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    106ß
    I used to travel to Montreal for business and as I remember McGill has really high academic standards. My guess is this guy is like the equivalent of a star player from Stanford, Northwestern, Harvard, etc.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  17. Ojibway Bob

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    This guy is a Medical student so he would have no problem with learning NFL I would imagine
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I have absolutely no problem drafting a kid from Canada. I have always thought there could be some ripe fruit playing up there that gets ignored. I guess the only problem is that a Pro Career is already short enough, so 2 to 3 years of transitioning for a young American college player could actually be 3 or 4 years for a Canadian kid based on the differences of the game. I have no doubt this kid could have a very good chance at doing it. It's just a matter of how long you want to wait and how long he wants to put med school on hold. UIC or UC Med would be great places for him to study.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    106ß
    Do you think that the Canadian game is that much different than ours for an OT? I would assume that at worst it would be like bringing along someone from a smaller school who had not played Div I NCAA ball.
  20. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    The yard off the ball gives the O-line a step on the defender, plus the pass rush and run blocking angles are subtly different. The players in the CIS are getting bigger, so that difference isn't what it used to be. For example, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats have more 300 lb. players than the Bears and six of those are ex-CIS players. Playing experience is often the other big difference as many Canadian kids take up football at later ages. There are leagues for kids, but hockey is far, far bigger. On the flip side, the three down game, smaller rosters, big field and short play clock produces big men with excellent cardio. Notice the absence of a beer gut.