A Thought I'd Like To Add @ The Start Of Free Agency

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Mar 11, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I just need to say that I'm relieved that Michael Bennett decided to stay with the Seahawks for less years and money than the Bears were offering. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I didn't want him.

Why am I relieved? Because this forces Emery to build the defense the "right way".

I.E. Fill spots with multiple lower tier guys and hit your home runs in the draft. This is precisely how the good teams do it.

When was the last time you saw a team that tried to hit a home run in free agency make it to/win the Super Bowl? That's right you didn't.

I'd love to see the Bears go after players a tier or two lower like Raiders' Lamarr Houston , Lions' Willie Young, Panthers' Mike Mitchell, and Giants' Ryan Mundy and then draft well this year. This is how top teams win championships.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    is it just me or do u seem to like Chicago teams? :)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Lol. What gave it away?
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +700 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    I'll just take a couple of hungry dogs man. I like the idea of Houston...we'll see what Emery has up his sleeve today.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    exactly what we need, young and hungry. our D last season was old and broken. we have enough experence already, jennings, ratliff, d.j. (probably), maybe pnut and that is that. we need hungry bears
    • Like Like x 2
  6. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I could not agree more. We don't necessarily need the what are considered the "top free agents" we just need to get younger and hungrier.

Being able to stop the run again is essential especially in our division with the likes of Lacy, Peterson, and Bush.
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I hope thats the case, but how FA will likely pan out, we will be putting alot of stock into how well Emery can draft. He has been hit or miss so far, so hopefully this may we can add key players via draft. And I also agree we MUST be able to stop the run, if we can't do that it wont matter who we get or dont get.
  8. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    131ß
    for now, there are absolutely no reason to believe we will strike out in FA, last year was pretty decent
  9. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +910 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    904ß
    How is that possible to like the Cubs and White Sox? You gotta choose, man.

I'll give you a hint.

:c::u::b::s: :thumb:
  10. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I agree with this as well.

We have the vets, they'll be key in helping the development of the rookies we draft.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    I agree with the draft being the primary source for getting your top talent. The only issue is that you have a tall task to do that in 1 draft when you have so many needs as we now have. As a number of folks have posted here in recent weeks, it's not a sure thing to get 1 top-tier talent in a draft year (a true stud). Even with first round picks the success rate is roughly 50% (this was posted in a thread a couple of weeks ago). Maybe you get one or two more solid players too.....guys who may not make a solid impact year one. The problem is that our needs go far beyond this. So, if you're doing this primarily through the draft, then it's going to take more than 1 draft year. I still believe it's the best way, but there is no instant gratification here. We have to be a bit patient.
  12. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß

Says who?

Not to get off topic and too long winded but, here goes:

I spent the first 25 years of my life as a former Chicagoan in the Cicero/Berwyn area as a Sox fan. I was fully integrated into the whole Cubs vs Sox thing, you can't like both, you have to hate one or the other...blah, blah, blah.

Then, I moved to the east coast 11 years ago. I got to see things from an outsider's perspective and realized just how stupid the whole Cubs vs Sox thing really is.

Both teams have sucked for the last 100+ years. Yeah the Sox won it all in 2005 but, what did they do after that? Right back to sucking again. We all know about the Cubs' struggles. No need to get into that. Does either teams' fanbase really have room to brag to the other? Probably not.

Not only that but, how in the hell can they be true rivals anyway? They don't even play in the same Leagues. Chicago doesn't realize just how lucky it is to have not one but two baseball teams. There are cities that would love to have just one. And yet we spend half our time disrespecting one of them.

Add in the fact that after a couple of short years of living here on the east coast I got to see that Phillies, Red Sox, Yankees, and east coast baseball fans in general are the most obnoxious, loud mouthed, and arrogant baseball fans on the planet. Seriously, they make either side of the Cubs vs Sox so-called rivalry see warm and fuzzy. I love nothing more than for the Sox to beat the hell out of Yankees and Red Sox and for the Cubs to beat up on the Phillies.

All of this made me appreciate Chicago even more. That goes for all of the teams that have "Chicago" in the name and on the uniform. For me, it became Chicago vs everyone else.

Apparently, this is a common phenomenon for former Chicago residents. Once you move somewhere else you appreciate everything about the city even more and you get that Chicago vs everyone else mentality.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +700 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Ummmm...we are not obnoxious...we just root for superior teams and we know it! HAH! In all seriousness, a Yankee fan could never root for the Met's and vice versa. Phillie and Red Sox fans are the worst though.
  14. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Well three out of the four guys I mentioned ended up getting signed by the Bears.

Pretty damn good start to free agency and precisely how good teams run things.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Damn, Mike Mitchell got a 5 year 25 million dollar deal from the Steelers. That's way too much for him.

Good call on your part.
    • Like Like x 1